Confederate flag dress at the prom?

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Sure she has a right to wear it. I think if anyone else at the prom is bothered by it they should flaunt some confederate flag toilet paper to demonstrate just what they think of the confederate heritage. The answer to free speech is more free speech. How about a tuxedo with "Sherman Rules" printed across the back?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Nice thing about free speech...it applies to you and your disgust, too.

175734[/snapback]

I know that! :devil::blink:

The Miami Dolphins suck balls!

GLORIOUS freedom!! :lol:

YEP.

#1. Bush is no choice.

#2. The Decline of the Empire is obvious, the way things are going. Damnit, I care about America, and I call it as I see it! It all goes to lack of civility, lack of education, and polarizing extremists.

175250[/snapback]

Cliff Notes: Do as I say, not as I do.

Nothing like a painted into corner.

176023[/snapback]

?????????????????? who's pissed? who's painted?

In my mind that girl should have been allowed to wear her silly dress. She would have looked like a fat lumpy sack of potatoes in an ugly red dress.

If some black kid didn't like her dress his or her free speech could have been to don a white pointy hat.

Talk about non-issues. That girl spent four years planning to make a fool of herself. She should come here where most of you can do it without even trying!

?????????????????? who's pissed? who's painted?

In my mind that girl should have been allowed to wear her silly dress.  She would have looked like a fat lumpy sack of potatoes in an ugly red dress.

176313[/snapback]

Sounds like painful memories for you.

Talk about non-issues.  That girl spent four years planning to make a fool of herself.  She should come here where most of you can do it without even trying!

176313[/snapback]

But she has a constitutional right to make a fool out of herself if she so chooses. That includes Confederate Flag Dresses, Osama Bin Laden t-shirts, and stirring up trouble on internet message boards where there ain't any...

Sounds like painful memories for you.

176352[/snapback]

How wrong you are. I hope that for Christmas you get the stick removed from your ass. How about sticking the topic instead of bashing people personally - I said nothing to you or about you.

Perhaps YOU stayed home squeezing pimples all during high school, I wouldn't know. I DO know that had that silly girl worn that dress she probably would have been laughed out of the prom anyway and, 20 years later, embarrassed by the whole thing.

How wrong you are.  I hope that for Christmas you get the stick removed from your ass.  How about sticking the topic instead of bashing people personally - I said nothing to you or about you. 

Perhaps YOU stayed home squeezing pimples all during high school, I wouldn't know.  I DO know that had that silly girl worn that dress she probably would have been laughed out of the prom anyway and, 20 years later, embarrassed by the whole thing.

177380[/snapback]

Oh, I don't know. I have a hard time remembering 20 minutes ago, let alone 20 years.

I hope that for Christmas you get the stick removed from your ass. 

177380[/snapback]

Yeah, he was the one slamming some teenage kid who was going to look like a "fat lumpy sack of potatoes in an ugly red dress." That's because you're just so darn cool. :P

I DO know that had that silly girl worn that dress she probably would have been laughed out of the prom anyway and, 20 years later, embarrassed by the whole thing.

177380[/snapback]

Kind of like your posts here on PPP, huh?

But she has a constitutional right to make a fool out of herself if she so chooses.  That includes Confederate Flag Dresses, Osama Bin Laden t-shirts, and stirring up trouble on internet message boards where there ain't any...

176386[/snapback]

I have to agree with you. What's the famous quote from Larry Flynt? How the 1st amendment doesn't protect speech you like, it protects speech you don't like. The question that needs to be asked is can a public school prohibit this type of expression.

What happens when that "free speech" symbolizes past physical aggression/intimidation?  Does it continue to carry those threats?  If it doesn't, when did it stop?

176488[/snapback]

Some great questions that no one here is bothering to answer. In certain similar cases, the high court has ruled that some such acts are immediate threats to the person and go beyond the parameters of free speech.

Does this apply to the Confederate flag? A case could be made that it represents a body politic that supported slavery and all the trappings that went along with it including whippings, lynchings, etc. Another case could point to the fact that it was on top of the General Lee and has lost the old connotation. Then again, I think that second argument is full of stevestojan....

Yet another skank looking for a way to shock people and get her name in the paper. Congratulations, honey, you got it. Now try getting any kind of management job and see how many employers want to be behind the 8 ball in a discrimination lawsuit.

"Freedom of speech is like the freedom to jump off your roof and fly. You can try it, but there's going to be consequences." - ?

Some great questions that no one here is bothering to answer. In certain similar cases, the high court has ruled that some such acts are immediate threats to the person and go beyond the parameters of free speech.

Does this apply to the Confederate flag? A case could be made that it represents a body politic that supported slavery and all the trappings that went along with it including whippings, lynchings, etc. Another case could point to the fact that it was on top of the General Lee and has lost the old connotation. Then again, I think that second argument is full of stevestojan....

Yet another skank looking for a way to shock people and get her name in the paper. Congratulations, honey, you got it. Now try getting any kind of management job and see how many employers want to be behind the 8 ball in a discrimination lawsuit.

"Freedom of speech is like the freedom to jump off your roof and fly. You can try it, but there's going to be consequences." - ?

177596[/snapback]

Yes, it was a good question...precisely why I didn't answer it, as I was still considering it. Sometimes posts are better thought about than responded to.

But...I generally disagree with the SC on the issue, as I fail to see how the display of a symbol can constitute an immediate threat. Particularly one such as the Confederate flag, which symbolizes racism and slavery to some...and states' rights to others. Which definition of the symbol is more accurate? Whose job is it to decide? The essence of the First Amendment is to keep the responsibility for answering those questions out of the hands of the federal government.

Your final quote, though, is most telling. You want to practice freedom of speech and display the Stars and Bars...fine. That's your right. But with freedom comes responsibility...so if you want to be free to display the Confederate flag, you better be responsible enough to understand and handle the ramifications of your actions. Which means, if someone wants to point out to the world that they think your a racist pig for displaying it...well, even if it was only a statement for states' rights, you should have known what you were getting into.