Confederate flag dress at the prom?

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
I guess the truth hurts you.

177144[/snapback]

No, because it is not the truth.

I don't know why I continually am baited by your responses... I'll just do what I should have done from the beginning and just make this my last response to you ever. All you ever do is continuously stay in the corner, using a verbal pitchfork to attack people, and adding nothing but snide comments, acting as if you are above reproach every single time.

You are the ONLY person on this whole entire board who does this... There are several people who I disagree with on a wide range of issues, but we always seem to end on a good note. You on the other hand NEVER WILL end anything on a good note... :P is your M.O. , and so I will not waste my time anymore with you; I have tried, you are hopeless.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
Your final quote, though, is most telling.  You want to practice freedom of speech and display the Stars and Bars...fine.  That's your right.  But with freedom comes responsibility...so if you want to be free to display the Confederate flag, you better be responsible enough to understand and handle the ramifications of your actions.  Which means, if someone wants to point out to the world that they think your a racist pig for displaying it...well, even if it was only a statement for states' rights, you should have known what you were getting into.

177633[/snapback]

Well she KNOWS what she is doing when she wears the dress, that is my problem. Why do you think they don't sell it in stores all over the South? It is an obvious tactic to inflame people, and to cause a controversy.

The flag on the General Lee is not offensive because its whole intent is NOT to offend to me... Now if that car was to suddenly change its meaning by appearing as if to stick it to people, then it would be different, i.e. on a bumper sticker with something referring to the North in a bad way.

Some people find it necessary to keep it all alive, and those people deserve all the trouble they get.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
I don't disagree...but at the same time, it's their right to do so.

177743[/snapback]

I don't disagree with you there, just as it is my right to say they can go to hell! :P

So there you are! :doh:

But...I generally disagree with the SC on the issue, as I fail to see how the display of a symbol can constitute an immediate threat.  Particularly one such as the Confederate flag, which symbolizes racism and slavery to some...and states' rights to others.  Which definition of the symbol is more accurate?  Whose job is it to decide?  The essence of the First Amendment is to keep the responsibility for answering those questions out of the hands of the federal government. 

Your final quote, though, is most telling.  You want to practice freedom of speech and display the Stars and Bars...fine.  That's your right.  But with freedom comes responsibility...so if you want to be free to display the Confederate flag, you better be responsible enough to understand and handle the ramifications of your actions.  Which means, if someone wants to point out to the world that they think your a racist pig for displaying it...well, even if it was only a statement for states' rights, you should have known what you were getting into.

177633[/snapback]

It might not constitute an immediate threat but, it serves to intimidate. By creating an intimidating demeanor you are abridging one's freedom to live peacefully.

Wouldn't the Confederate battle flag be considered the same kind of symbol as a KKK burning cross? What fear did that flag bring to a African-American during the war? Wouldn't they have been treated as run-away slaves by the approaching Confederate Army? So, I argue that the flag since its inception has instilled and ingrained the fear amongst African-Americans that it upholds the return to slavery.

There has been a lot of revisionist fancy footwork in the last 140 years. Cut through it all and it symbolizes that if you were of African decent and came across an approaching Confederate Army you would be:

1. Returned/took into the bonds of slavery.

2. Killed.

Or... If you were in Union uniform and taken prisoner... Immediately lynched or shot... That flag represents those dire consequences... Nothing good has ever come from it for African-Americans.

The last part of your post I couldn't agree more with.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
It might not constitute an immediate threat but, it serves to intimidate.  By creating an intimidating demeanor you are abridging one's freedom to live peacefully.

Wouldn't the Confederate battle flag be considered the same kind of symbol as a KKK burning cross?  What fear did that flag bring to a African-American during the war?  Wouldn't they have been treated as run-away slaves by the approaching Confederate Army?  So, I argue that the flag since its inception has instilled and ingrained the fear amongst African-Americans that it upholds the return to slavery.

There has been a lot of revisionist fancy footwork in the last 140 years.  Cut through it all and it symbolizes that if you were of African decent and came across an approaching Confederate Army you would be:

1. Returned/took into the bonds of slavery.

2. Killed.

Or... If you were in Union uniform and taken prisoner... Immediately lynched or shot...  That flag represents those dire consequences... Nothing good has ever come from it for African-Americans.

The last part of your post I couldn't agree more with.

177842[/snapback]

What I want to say is this- The Confederacy represented everything that would go AGAINST the United States: abridging the rights of men, defying the federal government, brazenly supporting insurrection by force of arms, and REJECTING the Constitution in their actions. All of this comes together under a flag that intends to defend things that are indefensible.

The OUTRAGEOUS thing was that it was not even a war that all southerners WANTED... the slaveowners controlled the legislative bodies in the states that seceded the earliest, and the other states that bordered them felt OBLIGATED to fall in line with them to show loyalty. The NON-slaveowners fought not for states rights or slavery, but because THEY HAD TO defend their areas.

The real tragedy is we are STILL talking about this because some southerners have a complex about their 'heritage'. I know FIRST HAND about this problem, because French Canadians have the same complex... certain things like this story make things hell again, and its stupid.

I didn't go there... I chose to give a more relevant example of the gay pride people, but of course THAT is disgusting, and should not happen, while wearing the confederate flag and parading around ISN'T...  :blush:  :)  ;)

Don't you know, it's heritage, not hate??  :lol:

My great great grandfathers didn't fight and recieve battle wounds for NOTHING... free speech may apply, but it offends ME if someone parades around with that symbol on like it stands for something noble. I DISAGREE.

175613[/snapback]

Would you be OK with it if she was dressed as a cigarette (in a bar)?

As for your sig line, look at the bright side. people cannot, despite the wishes of the owner, smoke in bars. Bar owners are getting summonses for ashtray possession, and soon, there will be no tailgaiting at football games.

See? Things are looking up for leftists who take our rights away. Cheer up!

Guest RabidBillsFanVT

As for your sig line, look at the bright side. people cannot, despite the wishes of the owner, smoke in bars. Bar owners are getting summonses for ashtray possession, and soon, there will be no tailgaiting  at football games.

178202[/snapback]

So I am supposed to accept the other side of the spectrum, and have my rights trampled on by the right who always seems to know what is best for me?

There has got to be a balance somewhere- reason and compromise. Extremism on either side hinders that goal, and righties are no better than lefties.

I will let her wear the dress, but you have to let the gay pride people have their expression as well in that case. It's freedom, whether it be irresponsible or in bad taste.

>>>I will let her wear the dress, but you have to let the gay pride people have their expression as well in that case. <<<

Why would you even bring this up? I am fine with people being proud to be gay. Why would this matter to me? :)

I think that the proud gays should go have a beer and a cigarette with the one who wears confederate flag in a bar, as long as this is OK with the bar owner, since it is his or her property. :)

As for your sig line, look at the bright side. people cannot, despite the wishes of the owner, smoke in bars. Bar owners are getting summonses for ashtray possession, and soon, there will be no tailgaiting  at football games.

178202[/snapback]

Rabid is all for his freedom and the trampling of other people's rights. Pretty typical lefty.

No, because it is not the truth.

I don't know why I continually am baited by your responses... I'll just do what I should have done from the beginning and just make this my last response to you ever. All you ever do is continuously stay in the corner, using a verbal pitchfork to attack people, and adding nothing but snide comments, acting as if you are above reproach every single time.

You are the ONLY person on this whole entire board who does this... There are several people who I disagree with on a wide range of issues, but we always seem to end on a good note. You on the other hand NEVER WILL end anything on a good note...  :)  is your M.O. , and so I will not waste my time anymore with you; I have tried, you are hopeless.

177688[/snapback]

Except it is the truth. Apparently you're not introspective enough to see it.

You whine about tolerance and then start a thread complaining about some high school girl having her Constitutional Rights trampled because you don't agree with the symbol she identifies with.

You B word about the lack of civility in the world yet pretend that the election of one man is the reason for the "Decline of the Empire". The kicker on that is you pointing to "lack of education" as being one of the culprits. As if all of us being more educated would have made John Kerry a decent candidate and therefore saved the Empire. :)

Like I said, the truth hurts.

Is her dress gonna give me cancer 20 years from now? ;)  ;)

179391[/snapback]

Given that the vast majority of tobacco is grown in former Confederate states, there is a demonstrable increase in your risk of lung cancer as a result of her support, direct or indirect, of the Confederate Flag.

Will the dress cause birth defects if my wife and unborn child looks at it?

179398[/snapback]

It has been clinically shown that viewing certain colors can cause physiological changes in the human body...for example, red and/or blue have been known to elevate blood pressure and testosterone levels. It is therefore not out of the question that your unborn child is at increased risk for birth defects as a result of the physiological effect your wife would experience upon viewing the dress...

Any more questions?

Tom... No.  Thanks.  You set me straight!

;)

179534[/snapback]

You're welcome. ;)

Actually, I wouldn't completely discount my "birth defects" theory. I'd bet a proper clinical study would demonstrate that constant exposure of expectant mothers to harsh colors causes an increase in birth defects...albiet probably an incidence one per million or less.

Guest RabidBillsFanVT
>>>I will let her wear the dress, but you have to let the gay pride people have their expression as well in that case. <<<

Why would you even bring this up? I am fine with people being proud to be gay. Why would this matter to me?  ;)

I think that the proud gays should go have a beer and a cigarette with the one who wears confederate flag in a bar, as long as this is OK with the bar owner, since it is his or her property.  ;)

178361[/snapback]

I brought it up because ALMOST ALL of the same people who flaunt the Confederate flag totally oppose that sort of activity, and are very outspoken about it. I'm just pointing out a parallel. <_<