Phil Simms on the "Suck for Luck" campaigns

Hplarrm

Suck for Luck is actually smarter than what the Bills are doing. If Miami gets Luck and the Bills miss the playoffs, the Dolphins win. (They actually win regardless if they can get Luck but at least we'd have something to be happy about, too). If the Dolphins barely miss out on Luck, that'd be a hilarious failure, though.

Time will tell. Luck will win a Super Bowl before the Bills do, but there was no point in rooting for Luck past the Game 1 demolition of the Chiefs.

Take it easy, Champ. Why don't you sit this next one out, stop talking for a while.

Seriously, counting on a college kid to be the savior is flat out stupid. No ones knows how they will adjust to the program. Stanford is a run first team, that throws off the running game. Luck looks the part but he also plays in a terrible Pac 12 conference. If he was doing this in the SEC like Cam did last year, it'd be a different story entirely.

I think he will be good but I'm not shaking in my boots because of some 21 yo who hasn't done a thing at the pro level.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blah blah blah unproven blah blah blah not a savior blah blah blah

This thread is a rehash of dozens of others on this forum and thousands of others on NFL message boards across the internet.

I think the one thing everyone can agree on is that time will tell. We all have our predictions on how this play out. Let's see what happens.

I do like the needless platitudes about "you can't win in today's NFL with one player" (was there ever a time when you could?")

Because that's EXACTLY what all the NFL fans who want Luck are saying. They're all like "Hey let's draft Luck and then immediately stop building the team afterwards. We'll sell our other draft picks and even better, not sign any free agents! Is there a penalty for One Man on the Field?"

Relying on only one player in today's NFL simply does not work to win the big one.

Blah blah blah unproven blah blah blah not a savior blah blah blah

This thread is a rehash of dozens of others on this forum and thousands of others on NFL message boards across the internet.

I think the one thing everyone can agree on is that time will tell. We all have our predictions on how this play out. Let's see what happens.

I do like the needless platitudes about "you can't win in today's NFL with one player" (was there ever a time when you could?")

Because that's EXACTLY what all the NFL fans who want Luck are saying. They're all like "Hey let's draft Luck and then immediately stop building the team afterwards. We'll sell our other draft picks and even better, not sign any free agents! Is there a penalty for One Man on the Field?"

Actually, now that you mention it, if ever there was a year for another Mike Ditka/Ricky Williams, trade your whole draft for one player move, this is it. I could see it happening. Actually, my only issue was with the matter of fact way you stated that Luck will win a Superbowl before the Bills. Might happen, might not but certainly not a given.

Suck for Luck is actually smarter than what the Bills are doing. If Miami gets Luck and the Bills miss the playoffs, the Dolphins win. (They actually win regardless if they can get Luck but at least we'd have something to be happy about, too). If the Dolphins barely miss out on Luck, that'd be a hilarious failure, though.

Time will tell. Luck will win a Super Bowl before the Bills do, but there was no point in rooting for Luck past the Game 1 demolition of the Chiefs.

My thought exactly.

My thought exactly.

:lol:

So you guys were both rooting for the Bills to lose their season opener?

look.

i've never been one on this board to blindly trumpet the buffalo bills, and defend them in the face of all criticism. i've never told someone they shouldn't post here, or shouldn't watch the games, or should cheer for a different team, or anything along those lines. they have sucked for a long time. i get that.

but man. f*ck off.

are you even following the team this season?

we're in second place in the conference.

the steelers are ahead of us. they got rocked by the ravens, who have been rocked by the jags.

we've beaten the patriots already.

we just absolutely f*cked washington up the sh*t shoot, in a completely dominating performance the likes of which the bills havent had since... well, week 1 i guess.

THE SEASON IS HALFWAY OVER! WE ARE FOR REAL!

i don't care if we have weaknesses. watch a football game or 2. every team in the league has weaknesses and can be beat.

the other side of that coin is - any of the "good teams" can win the super bowl. INCLUDING US.

this is what parity is. we're in the middle of it.

just enjoy it man, jesus christ almighty.

but man. f*ck off.

we just absolutely f*cked washington up the sh*t shoot, in a completely dominating performance the likes of which the bills havent had since... well, week 1 i guess.

just enjoy it man, jesus christ almighty.

I'll tell you what I enjoy. Your total violation of the Terms of Service of this board.

WWJD

You find the folks that wanted to go 0-16 this season more annoying and more stupid than the Suck for Luck folks that wanted to lose all our games last season - and argued the point endlessly - so we could draft Luck last April, even though he never intended to enter the 2011 draft?

Resolve yourself to this one incontrovertible certainty - fans may jump on the bandwagon when the Bills are winning and jump off when they lose, but we are fortunate that the fans have no say in directing the team either on or off the field.

Fans have the freedom to opine such ridiculous thoughts - thankfully, we have a coach and a GM that believe that winning is the goal every time you take the field...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

17 and 2 baby!!!!! B-)

:thumbsup: Only thing that would have made this post any better was a link to Mike Leaches' coaching stats! :lol:

You find the folks that wanted to go 0-16 this season more annoying and more stupid than the Suck for Luck folks that wanted to lose all our games last season - and argued the point endlessly - so we could draft Luck last April, even though he never intended to enter the 2011 draft?

Resolve yourself to this one incontrovertible certainty - fans may jump on the bandwagon when the Bills are winning and jump off when they lose, but we are fortunate that the fans have no say in directing the team either on or off the field.

Fans have the freedom to opine such ridiculous thoughts - thankfully, we have a coach and a GM that believe that winning is the goal every time you take the field...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

17 and 2 baby!!!!! B-)

Your bolded statement is the one part of your post with which I agree.

Some people reading this thread will be familiar with a study involving children and marshmallows. A given child was placed in a room, and given the option of eating a marshmallow placed in front of him or her. But if the child waited until later to eat the marshmallow, he or she would be given a second one. It was found that children who delayed eating the marshmallow to receive a second would later go on to have significantly higher SAT scores, lower divorce rates, etc., than the children who ate the marshmallows immediately.

Other studies have shown that certain brain centers light up (figuratively) when contemplating immediate gratification, and other brain centers become active when processing delayed gratification. People who spend more than they should, live in the moment, and run up a lot of credit card debt tend to have higher-than-normal levels of activity in the brain centers associated with processing immediate gratification, and lower than normal levels of brain activity in brain centers associated with delayed gratification. Conversely, people willing to delay gratification for the future were just as happy thinking about the benefits of $100 a year from now as they were thinking about receiving $100 today.

In theory, one would expect the fans to demand instant gratification, and those actually running the team to be comfortable with delayed gratification. In practice, there have been many times when the reverse was true--when TD and Marv used their first round picks to receive instant gratification, rather than employing them to implement a disciplined, long-term plan to build the team.

The strategy of tanking a season to obtain Andrew Luck represents trading short-term pain for long-term gain. The three arguments to be made in favor of that general strategy are as follows: 1) Andrew Luck has a significantly higher probability of being a franchise QB than a QB taken later in the draft. 2) Even if a QB taken later in the draft works out, odds are he will not have the same ceiling Andrew Luck has. 3) A franchise QB with a high ceiling elevates the ceiling of your entire team, and makes a Super Bowl win much more likely than it otherwise would have been.

The Andrew Luck strategy is a very viable option--arguably the best possible option--for any team in need of a franchise quarterback.

I'd divide the anti-Luck crowd into three categories:

1) Those who don't think Luck will be good at the NFL level. (A relatively small number.)

2) Those who are convinced Fitz is a legitimate franchise QB. (A growing number of fans, considering that Fitz is playing better this year than he had last year.)

3) Those who believe Fitz is not the long-term answer, but who do not want to see the Bills tank the season to take Luck.

I have yet to see a member of the third group put forward a viable alternative to the strategy of drafting Luck. Instead, I've seen YouTube clips of Herm Edwards saying, "you play the game to win." I find that approach stupid and annoying. My sense is that those who advocate it have absolutely no idea how the Bills are supposed to obtain their franchise QB, but feel that bravado and assertiveness are adequate substitutes for a viable long-term strategic plan. At most, they will point to isolated examples of franchise QBs taken outside the first round--such as Tom Brady and Drew Brees--without performing any kind of analysis about the likelihood of that strategy actually succeeding, were it to be employed by the Bills.

Note that the above objections do not apply to the second group--those who legitimately believe Fitz is the long-term answer. If you already have your franchise QB on board, there is obviously no need to tank a season to obtain another franchise QB.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

:thumbsup: Only thing that would have made this post any better was a link to Mike Leaches' coaching stats! :lol:

B-)

God forbid the Dolphins should land Andy Luck AND replace Tony Sparano with offensive guru and QB mentor extraordinaire...

Mike Leach

As Kentucky's offensive coordinator (1997-'98):

• Four NCAA, 42 SEC, and 116 school records broken

As Oklahoma's offensive coordinator (1999):

• In his only season with the Sooners, Leach improved OU's anemic '97 offense to 36.8 ppg in '98, setting 17 school records and 6 Big-12 records in the process.

In his 10 seasons as head coach at Texas Tech (2000-2009):

• 10 consecutive winning seasons
  • 10 consecutive bowl invitations
  • 5 bowl wins (most by any individual coach in the history of the program)*
  • 4 seasons completed with team ranked in the Top 25
  • More than 150 NCAA, Big 12 and school records broken
  • Three national COTY awards in 2008 (Woody Hayes/George Munger/Howie Long-Fieldturf)
  • 84-43 W-L record

* Leach did not get a chance for a 6th bowl win in the 2010 Alamo Bowl (which Texas Tech won) due to the Adam James 'incident'

:flirt:

post-2970-062638400 1320359715_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

You know..that is a great idea!! I am a tech midget, but if they can carry one alternative audio track, why not two or three? Maybe the frequency or something could not handle it? Plus, the radio and TV would have to be in perfect sync, but seems like the guy with the orange gloves already has that covered. Sirius can do it for the hockey games..albeit differnt channels..

Directv use to have that option on the NASCAR hotpass before it was free and crappy. You could listen to the fox broadcast, the hotpass crew that would pretty much focus on talking about that one driver, and the driver audio of him talking to his spotter and crew chief and all you had to do was hit the little blue button on your remote. So it is do-able. Don't know how cost effective it would be for the networks, but I would love to have the option.

1 and 17?

Good Luck with that! ;)

Negative one and 17!!!

The best (worst?) anyone else could do would be 0-16! I'd be one game worse than anyone else in the standings, and that much higher up in the draft!

I'm not sure how on earth I'm supposed to win -1 games, or lose 17 games. But where there's a will there's a way! :angry:

Negative one and 17!!!

The best (worst?) anyone else could do would be 0-16! I'd be one game worse than anyone else in the standings, and that much higher up in the draft!

I'm not sure how on earth I'm supposed to win -1 games, or lose 17 games. But where there's a will there's a way! :angry:

My bad - - I thought a math error was out of character. Shoulda checked with my brother Darryl.

B-)

God forbid the Dolphins should land Andy Luck AND replace Tony Sparano with offensive guru and QB mentor extraordinaire...

Mike Leach

As Kentucky's offensive coordinator (1997-'98):

• Four NCAA, 42 SEC, and 116 school records broken

As Oklahoma's offensive coordinator (1999):

• In his only season with the Sooners, Leach improved OU's anemic '97 offense to 36.8 ppg in '98, setting 17 school records and 6 Big-12 records in the process.

In his 10 seasons as head coach at Texas Tech (2000-2009):

• 10 consecutive winning seasons
  • 10 consecutive bowl invitations
  • 5 bowl wins (most by any individual coach in the history of the program)*
  • 4 seasons completed with team ranked in the Top 25
  • More than 150 NCAA, Big 12 and school records broken
  • Three national COTY awards in 2008 (Woody Hayes/George Munger/Howie Long-Fieldturf)
  • 84-43 W-L record

* Leach did not get a chance for a 6th bowl win in the 2010 Alamo Bowl (which Texas Tech won) due to the Adam James 'incident'

:flirt:

You crack me up! :lol:

For the most part I do not think very much of Phil Simms analyst work (in fact I do not think much of any analysts work and wish that the net works would give another try of the effort mounted in the mid 70s when they did an announcerless game relying on ambient sound. The announcerless game had some serious drawbacks (explanation of weird calls and amount of gametime left- however, with the advent of a continous clock/score on screen and the first down line, it would be a different world today. As much as I love Steve Tasker and am pleased West Herr is keeping his family fed, it would be nice to see a game which was produced with the graphic showings designed to compensate for no announcer and to have an analyst insert themselves once a quarter to explain odd ref calls).

At any rate, though Simms is often an idiot, it's great to see someone utter a caveat to the lemmings hard after Luck as their next savior. It's true he might be the next Peyton Manning and the multiple SBs he has led Indy too and one (oops make that one). I admit I have not studies Luck enough to have a real opinion on whether he has not shown he can make the pro throw consistenly as Simms maintains (I assume he means long throws across the field rather than downfield or throws on the move under tight pressure and a collapsing pocket or with so fast a release the pocket rarely collapses on him).

However, one of the most annoying set of posts on this board for the last year plus for me have been those which hoped the 2011 Bills were 0-16 so they could get Luck.

The 5-2 record may not result in a playoff for us (but at least our destiny is in the Bills hands) but it is a stark statement of how stupid the Suck for Luck folks were.

Even if Simms is wrong and he is the next Peyton Manning in skills, we are seeing this year what the frail human body constantly dodging NFL LBs who run like DBs in DE bodies can do to a player. Relying on only one player in today's NFL simply does not work to win the big one.

Were making the playoffs and Luck is awesome but definitely prefer winning over luck.