A New Domed Bills Stadium in the Falls?

"What is the bigger move? What could the people of Western New York do to make a national statement that the Bills are our team, the NFL our birthright, and that we are serious about being a real player at a poker table many think has reached a level too steep for our wallet?

Eschewing the stadium renovations in favor of building a state-of-the-art domed stadium would be the first shot across the bow that I'd fire to serve that notice nationally. Putting that stadium in downtown Niagara Falls would be the second."

Would you support a plan to build a new dome in place of shelling out $100 million to update the Ralph?

just say no to the dome.

A DOME FOR THE BILLS IN NIAGARA FALLS COULD KEEP TEAM HERE, REVITALIZE CITY

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I love the Ralph and the location in Orchard Park, (I say this all the time at work!) we need to stay up with technology or be left behind. They will never have a super bowl at the Ralph. A big new convention hall with shops and a retractable roof, along the Niagra, would be a huge draw. However we have to keep in mind that tailgating as we know it would most likely end and ticket prices would more than likely at least double.

Can you imagine the NFL trying to have a super bowl at the Ralph?

and everyone hated it. It didn't get great reviews. Do you really think the league would vote for a SB in Buffalo?

Dome in buffalo? Maybe not

Dome next to falls? I see them being all over it given the dramatic setting , international border location and intense support from both US and Canada

I see it developing into one of the preferred spots they keep going back to

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I was for a dome in '70 and nothing's changed except the ever-growing bleakness of the area. We either keep the Bills or we lose forever national recognition. The Falls is the only other spot in the region known internationally and it's far from the Honeymoon Capital it once was. Faster access from Rochester & Canada and would definately draw bigger opportunities and income to the region.

Orchard Park? Pfffft!

'Build it and they will come.'

51 yrs old. I went to games at the Rockpile and the first game at RWS. RWS is built like a tank. No need for a new stadium anytime soon. There's no money to pay for a new one anyway. NYC got it's stadiums and they blew their wad on those.

I think the plan is to keep RWS going for at least another 20 years. The State is almost insolvent, cant meet it's pension obligations, and is held back by unions and cronyism. Investments of this magnitude are limited to NYC. Unless a private developer steps up (highly unlikely), RWS will be going strong for many more years to come. Sure, they'll have to put 100s of millions into it over time, but that's easier for the State to swallow. You wont be seeing any Citi Fields or new Yankee stadiums being built in Buffalo.

As far as it becoming the Fenway of the NFL, I think that's entirely possible given the state of the State, national, and global economies. Anyone that thinks this economy is going to ever return to the late 90s is dreaming.

I don't know how old you are but they will have to build a new stadium within 20 years or so. Unless they plan to make RWS the Fenway Park of the NFL.

PTR

Only good thing I could think of if they added a dome is that they could play a super bowl in Buffalo. Not that they ever would play one in Buffalo but they technically could then.

Other than that, screw the dome.

Thay've scheduled a Super Bowl in New Jersey which is not a domed stadium, why not Buffalo?

I ask that sarcasticlly of course! <_<

I am diabolically opposed to anything built anywhere but in Buffalo. Not crazy about a dome, but this is Buffalo's asset, and if any downtown area could use the boost economically, it needs to go to the city that has been punched in the gut for the last 100 years. I hate the idea of something being put in Niagara Falls plain ans simple. If they were the Niagara Falls Bills playing games in Orchard Park, then sure, try to bring the team back to your city, but they're not, so can we please let this stupid idea go away....

Besides, anyone who has been to RWS lately knows how great a place it is to watch a football game, no other new stadium can even come close to competing with it's seating, ease to get into and out of the stadium, and it's relatively easy access for parking. I could care less about the idiot concourses filled with overpriced merchandise, or crappy overpriced restaurants, I go to watch the game, and have yet to sit in another venue that does it better than the Ralph. Now waiting to take a piss, that's something they could spend a little coin updating.

BTW - I am going to the Bills-Dallas game, so I'll let you know how the seating and overall stadium compares to the new Rockpile.

I am diabolically opposed to anything built anywhere but in Buffalo. Not crazy about a dome, but this is Buffalo's asset, and if any downtown area could use the boost economically, it needs to go to the city that has been punched in the gut for the last 100 years. I hate the idea of something being put in Niagara Falls plain ans simple. If they were the Niagara Falls Bills playing games in Orchard Park, then sure, try to bring the team back to your city, but they're not, so can we please let this stupid idea go away....

Besides, anyone who has been to RWS lately knows how great a place it is to watch a football game, no other new stadium can even come close to competing with it's seating, ease to get into and out of the stadium, and it's relatively easy access for parking. I could care less about the idiot concourses filled with overpriced merchandise, or crappy overpriced restaurants, I go to watch the game, and have yet to sit in another venue that does it better than the Ralph. Now waiting to take a piss, that's something they could spend a little coin updating.

BTW - I am going to the Bills-Dallas game, so I'll let you know how the seating and overall stadium compares to the new Rockpile.

you totally missed the mark with that post. fans outside of buffalo-proper like NF, Rochester, Jamestown, some in Canada etc etc etc etc etc etc etc .... have supported this team just as much as people from within Buffalo's city limits. if that werent the case, the beloved Bills would have been gone years ago. Buffalo on its own is wayyyyyyy too small and wayyyyyy too economically distressed to support an NFL franchise. The Bills quite literally belong to the area.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

you totally missed the mark with that post. fans outside of buffalo-proper like NF, Rochester, Jamestown, some in Canada etc etc etc etc etc etc etc .... have supported this team just as much as people from within Buffalo's city limits. if that werent the case, the beloved Bills would have been gone years ago. Buffalo on its own is wayyyyyyy too small and wayyyyyy too economically distressed to support an NFL franchise. The Bills quite literally belong to the area.

I totally agree, the area does support the team. My argument is that if a new stadium is to be built to support the Buffalo Bills, it should be in the City of Buffalo. If people from these areas are coming in OP to watch the Bills, there is no reason why they can't come to the waterfront to watch the same team. If you love and support the team, It should make no difference. If anything it should help make Buffalo a destination...

+1 on all 5 counts.

I only go to the cold weather games. It's just an amazing time! My uncle has season tickets, and he goes to the games up until Thanksgiving, and me and my cousins split the rest, or don't take our friends and go together. I would hate to see a dome built.

My favorite Bills game that I've been to was the Indy game at the end of the '09 season with the semi-blizzard conditions. It was fun. There are still some of us fans who enjoy the snow games!

I would love to see some upgrades done to RWS, but I still enjoy any and every game I can get to. Sure beats anything in this area...(ithaca, ny area)

51 yrs old. I went to games at the Rockpile and the first game at RWS. RWS is built like a tank. No need for a new stadium anytime soon. There's no money to pay for a new one anyway. NYC got it's stadiums and they blew their wad on those.

I think the plan is to keep RWS going for at least another 20 years. The State is almost insolvent, cant meet it's pension obligations, and is held back by unions and cronyism. Investments of this magnitude are limited to NYC. Unless a private developer steps up (highly unlikely), RWS will be going strong for many more years to come. Sure, they'll have to put 100s of millions into it over time, but that's easier for the State to swallow. You wont be seeing any Citi Fields or new Yankee stadiums being built in Buffalo.

As far as it becoming the Fenway of the NFL, I think that's entirely possible given the state of the State, national, and global economies. Anyone that thinks this economy is going to ever return to the late 90s is dreaming.

RWS seems well built, though next time you go to the game look at the underside of the upper deck and see all the aftermarket braces, etc, in place. Nothing lasts forever. If you aren't going to build new you are certainly going to pay for upkeep, and that's more than just a coat of paint. And beyond that it would behoove the Bills and the County to improve RWS with amenities that generate money, like a Bills HOF and/or restaurants, meeting spaces, and such. If you wanna play with the big boys you have to bring a bank roll.

PTR

newly built domed cowboys stadium just cost $1.3 Billion.

so you can figure $1.5 Billion for the next domed stadium.

spending $100 mil and saving $1.4 Billion sounds like a viable option.

having said that, if they ever did build one, they should make a truly multi-purpose facility incorporating an enormous convention center complex and a bills hall of fame museum.

Those numbers are ridiculous - we don't need a Jerry Jones stadium. The Cardinals Stadium cost around $450 Million, which is more our speed.