The wall's reaction to Fitz signing in 2009

sullim4

To be fair, Warner led his team to an NFC title in 2008. Cassel had a playoff season last year and Collins had a 13-3 season with the Titans in 2008. Leftwich picked up 2 Super Bowl rings as a backup.

That was all before their Feb 2009 Free Agency. The careers afterward . . .

- Warner signed a huge two-year contract, played OK in 09-10, led Cards to the playoffs, got crushed by GB and then he retired.

- Cassell was franchised by Pats(for $14M!), then traded to KC (6yr-$62M!). Not too good in 09-10, very good 10-11, kinda blows now.

- Leftwich - I wouldn't exactly credit him with Super Bowl wins. Signed and then benched by Tampa Bay.

- I'm not sure we need to go through the rest of the list to make the point.

Are you stalking me, or just fascinated by my knowledge? I remember you saying "Fitz will be the quarterback of the future and sign a $59 million dollar contract." NOT! Sometimes maybe I get carried away but I am not getting any younger and don't want to spend my last 75 years on this earth with an addiction to a bad team.

Hey, here's a tip. Learn from past mistakes and stop being so belligerent about your fan-based opinions... cause, maybe you actually don't know what the future holds and something different might happen that is contrary to your opinion.

I remember not liking the signing, but I forgot how adamant I was about it, below was my reply to someone who said Fitz was at least better than Rex Grossman. I'm extremely happy about how off-base I was in my evaluation of Fitzpatrick.

"I agree that Grossman sucks, but he has had some success in the league, moreso than fitzpatrick. I don't want him either, but I'd rather have signed a guy whose proven he can play than a complete nobody. I'm happy we addressed the center position and I'm way more concerned about how we're goning to address the d line/lb positions than I am about back up qb. I don't want to get into an argument about whether cow sh*t stinks worse than dog sh*t by comparing grossman to fitzpatrick, but Fitzpatrick stinks, there's no quesiton about it."

I'll be the first to admit that as recently as his first snap in the first preseason game against Washington last year (happened right in front of me, as I was sitting about 20 rows away from him at FedEx Field), I was full of criticism for him. I said he looked awkward and had a terrible throwing motion. That he had no accuracy and I hoped to God that Trent wouldn't get injured yet again. I'm also perfectly happy to be wrong about him. I'm pretty much in love with the guy. I am cautious when rooting for him though- what with his horrible long ball accuracy.

I doubt there is one . . . none of us (like most of the NFL GMs) even knew the guy existed.

There was a discussion at time about Marv Levy and whether he had ability to scout/inside information or was just giving a fellow graduate of Coe College a chance.