Pats surprise and release DB Leigh Bodden...

Alphadawg7

Hard to pick who is worst between Reggie, I can't play, Corner and my man Leodis.

However I would be willing to bet Leigh Bodden is an improvement on either one. As far as the money, what did we give McKelvin as a first round pick?

As for age, irrelevant as it is hard to imagine McKelvin or Corner on this team next year.

Hard to pick who is worst between Reggie, I can't play, Corner and my man Leodis.

However I would be willing to bet Leigh Bodden is an improvement on either one. As far as the money, what did we give McKelvin as a first round pick?

As for age, irrelevant as it is hard to imagine McKelvin or Corner on this team next year.

McKelvin's contract:

7/26/2008: Signed a five-year, $19.4 million contract. The deal includes $12.6 million guaranteed. 2011: $1,007,500, 2012: $1,318,750, 2013: Free Agent

Bodden making more the rest of this year than McKelvin is for the whole season.

I guess I just find it very hard to believe that NE would be willing to pay Bodden $2M for the rest of the season (if he's not claimed on waivers) to not play on their team, and leave their DB corps shorthanded, if he wasn't a major part of the problem for their worst in the league ranked pass defense.

Edited by Carey Bender

"Yes, McKelvin is better than Bodden." You're embarrassing yourself junior.

"You would've been better off just saying "your momma". Why would that have been better? How do I know if your mom passed or something terrible had or has a happened to her? Then after an anemic diatribe about my level of education you contradict yourself by attempting to coach me into following your pubescence. You're a sheep young man.

:oops: Did not know you were such the expert @ player evaluation. McKelvin has at least been decent this season while Bodden is getting cut from a team that has the worst pass defense in the league. He's still a better player though? :huh: Mmmhmm. If you say so. :thumbsup: You're right in one respect though, going back and forth with a delusional chap who is using google for synonyms makes no sense at all. Have a nice day Chevy Chase. ;)

Agreed. Would be a nice upgrade to McKelvin.

Ah, I don't think so . . . did you watch the Pats game? not sure there is any guy in that unit that would be upgrade, they've been getting torch all year. :wallbash:

Which is what makes this move a real head scratcher... If they know Dowling was hurt, why would they cut Bodden? Something else is going on here and I don't like it

The evil genius is up to something, no doubt about it . . . probably wants the Bills to gobble up the people he just cut so they can give Chan inside information, only to revamp the whole defense before we play them. Watch out!!! something's going on here ????? :pirate:

Bodden was considered a decent cornerback back in 2007, before he was traded from Cleveland to Detroit in 2008.

By the time Detroit released him in 2009, he was just a guy struggling to stay in the league.

He resurrected his career after signing with the Patsies*in 2009 and was rewarded with a fat new contract in early 2010… 4 years, $22 million, with $10 million guaranteed.

Since then he has been injured or has sucked. There was maybe 3-4 seasons since he entered the league in 2003 that he has played well. He hasn't really strung good seasons together consecutively during his career.

The guy is not likely to be an upgrade over anyone on the Bills roster.

As others have pointed out, there's no reason to claim him on waivers and pay that hefty contract. If anything, any interested team will allow him to pass through waivers and then sign him to a free agent contract… it's highly unlikely that he'll get any offer approaching what he was previously paid.

The fact that he was waived when Ras-I Dowling was on the injured reserve express only further strengthens the argument that Bodden has little if anything to offer.

On a tangent, Ras-I Dowling (33) was selected one pick before the Bills took Aaron Williams (34).

It's similar to the scenario in 2009 when the Patsies* selected Darius Butler (41) one pick before the Bills selected Jairus Byrd (42).

BTW, Butler was waived in December and is now with the Carolina Panthers.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

:oops: Did not know you were such the expert @ player evaluation. McKelvin has at least been decent this season while Bodden is getting cut from a team that has the worst pass defense in the league. He's still a better player though?

First thank you for acknowledging I'm an expert at player evaluation.

I don't think we should be drooling over players like Leigh Bodden, in fact I wouldn't sign him even after he clears waivers. My only argument is that he is better than McKelvin and certainly Corner. McKelvin's performance against Oakland was one of the worst I've seen in recent years. He looked dishevelled against a rookie WR.

At least Bodden has had success and some semblence of an NFL career. He got cut from Detroit because he criticized the organization after the 0-16 season, they brought in a new GM, and was due $8.6 mil for being on the roster.

For you to say he's worse than McKelvin is lazy and baseless. Saying "Mckelvin has been decent" is ludicrous, he has struggled mightily all year. You weaken your argument even more when you think the 30th ranked passing defense has the right to not look at any CB.

So to answer your question, yes Bodden has been a better player and is.

All I can say is thank God Mcgee is back. I thought he looked outstanding in his return last game. And put McKelvin in his rightly place as the Nickel Back.

Edited by Triple Threat

Which is what makes this move a real head scratcher... If they know Dowling was hurt, why would they cut Bodden? Something else is going on here and I don't like it

5 years ago, I would have agreed with you. Now? No. This is another in a looong line of questionable, to outright baffling, moves Belechik has made in the last 3 years.

His recent drafts have been terrible. I have no idea WTF he was doing last time around. Yes, we can talk about getting a QB for After Brady, but, few of the defensive picks have worked out, and 0 have surpassed mediocre. They did get a good O lineman, but, Belechik is supposed to be a defensive guru. Why is he messing up defensive picks?

The Belechik kiss asses here, who LOVE to talk about trading down like he does, are looking pretty stupid right now. Belechik had an opportunity to draft Clay Matthews. How's trading down instead looking now, kids? Can you imagine having to play Matthews 2x a year? There are other examples as well.

ESPN Boston has an article, Here, that says some of what I have been thinking for the last few years.

In the past, whenever I was right about where the Pats would fail(old linebackers being replaced by old LBs, Adailius Thomas and Junior Seau, for example), it didn't matter. They would create strengths elsewhere and the accurate weaknesses I saw became irrelevant.

Not anymore. Put simply: the Pats lack talent on defense. No amount of scheming makes a guy smart, strong, and quick enough to get off a block. He has to do that on his own. Many times a 2nd round pick is simply a 2nd round pick, and trading away a chance at a 1st round talent to get 2 less talented guys kicks you in the balls.

So, either Belechik has started believing his own BS, and he needs to get some new eyes on the situation, or, he's just having a very unlucky stretch...that has lasted 3 years.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

5 years ago, I would have agreed with you. Now? No. This is another in a looong line of questionable, to outright baffling, moves Belechik has made in the last 3 years.

His recent drafts have been terrible. I have no idea WTF he was doing last time around. Yes, we can talk about getting a QB for After Brady, but, few of the defensive picks have worked out, and 0 have surpassed mediocre. They did get a good O lineman, but, Belechik is supposed to be a defensive guru. Why is he messing up defensive picks?

The Belechik kiss asses here, who LOVE to talk about trading down like he does, are looking pretty stupid right now. Belechik had an opportunity to draft Clay Matthews. How's trading down instead looking now, kids? Can you imagine having to play Matthews 2x a year? There are other examples as well.

ESPN Boston has an article, Here, that says some of what I have been thinking for the last few years.

In the past, whenever I was right about where the Pats would fail(old linebackers being replaced by old LBs, Adailius Thomas and Junior Seau, for example), it didn't matter. They would create strengths elsewhere and the accurate weaknesses I saw became irrelevant.

Not anymore. Put simply: the Pats lack talent on defense. No amount of scheming makes a guy smart, strong, and quick enough to get off a block. He has to do that on his own. Many times a 2nd round pick is simply a 2nd round pick, and trading away a chance at a 1st round talent to get 2 less talented guys kicks you in the balls.

So, either Belechik has started believing his own BS, and he needs to get some new eyes on the situation, or, he's just having a very unlucky stretch...that has lasted 3 years.

Very good post! :thumbsup: I fully agree that it's generally better to get one elite player than two solid players. One Clay Matthews is better than two (insert current Bills' LB's name here).

While you didn't come right out and say it, I think it's clear the Patriots really miss Scott Pioli. He and Belichick made a good team.