New Game: Pick the Sullivan Column

Dr. K

I think it's amusing how you can pick which columns on the TBD main page are written by Jerry Sullivan simply by reading the headline. I play this game whenever I come to TBD, then click on the article to see if I'm right. I invariably am.

Even his "positive" columns scream "Look at me! I'm compensating!"

I don't bother to read the columns anymore. He has nothing to say worth bothering about. The guy is a joke.

I waffle on Sully all the time. I like him on 550 radio for sure, because he knows five times as much as Mike n Bulldog.

The biggest issue I have with him is how he kept going off on NOBODY wanting the Bills head coach job in the league when they hired Chan. First of all, that's a ridiculous insinuation and everybody knows that top coordinators in the league and most college HC's will go anywhere for a head job in the NFL, especially with the parity in the league these days. (we're already in the top 10 in NFL power ranking in little more than one full season)

It was like "well, Cowher or Shanahan don't want the job so it must be that nobody else does either", and then to make matters worse he kept pushing his stupid point at the presser with Buddy Nix and Sully really showed what a misinformed jackass he can be. Lost a lot of respect for him at that point.

In his defense, someone needs to be critical of the organization. We simply don't have an owner who is lucid enough to lay out the specifics of certain areas of the GM's job that need improvement, so someone needs to be the voice of the fans.

He's not my type of fan, the negative guy, but he serves a purpose and will admit when he's wrong. He wants the Bills to do well.

I think it's amusing how you can pick which columns on the TBD main page are written by Jerry Sullivan simply by reading the headline. I play this game whenever I come to TBD, then click on the article to see if I'm right. I invariably am.

I don't bother to read the columns anymore. He has nothing to say worth bothering about. The guy is a joke.

I play the headline game also, but I think he is an excellent columnist. I know he harps on the negative but the Bill's have been deserving of that type of commentary for years. It is tough, however, to jump all over Nix because of Merriman. Most coaches/GM's that go to new teams have faith in players from their previous experiences.

LOL! I do exactly the same thing and I'm batting about .900.

It is SO easy to criticize the Merriman deal in retrospect, but at the time, nobody thought the Bills would even take a chance on a "big name" player and it was refreshing to see Nix take a swing.

LOL! I do exactly the same thing and I'm batting about .900.

It is SO easy to criticize the Merriman deal in retrospect, but at the time, nobody thought the Bills would even take a chance on a "big name" player and it was refreshing to see Nix take a swing.

An oft-injured, formerly suspended player that was let go and passed up by 2 other teams is hardly splashy free agent signing. I see it as just nit picky cheapness trying to spend less than the full amount on the real thing and end up blowing a big chunk of change and spinning our wheels anyway.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Remember the Brett Favre commercial, with him walking around making obvious comments about people's mistakes?

In one, he tells a father with a little boy who has just dripped chocolate ice cream all over his white sweater: "I would have gone with vanilla there."

The point of the ad was to mock the smug hindsight of Monday Morning QBs. Sully's column today is a reminder of just how smug and lacking in any sort of reflection such MMQBing can be.

I couldn't agree more, You are spot on. He is no Bills fan thats for sure!!!

his article is the typical reaction to anything that doesn't work out within the Bills organization, and it becomes apparent that he takes great pleasure in pointing out the failures of this franchise. It;s the classic emotional self preservation tactic: be utterly disgusted with almost everything the Bills do, and wallow in it's misery, but when things go right, be mildly invested. lowered expectations are much easier to manage than putting yourself out there, and invest yourself like true fans do.

While he has every right to author a column about how he views the Merriman signing, it's the "see how stupid the Bills are, and always will be" attitude that makes him a 2 bit hack. Tell me what in his writing separates him from any one of the negative nancy threads you can find on this board daily. seriously, try.

his article is the typical reaction to anything that doesn't work out within the Bills organization, and it becomes apparent that he takes great pleasure in pointing out the failures of this franchise. It;s the classic emotional self preservation tactic: be utterly disgusted with almost everything the Bills do, and wallow in it's misery, but when things go right, be mildly invested. lowered expectations are much easier to manage than putting yourself out there, and invest yourself like true fans do.

While he has every right to author a column about how he views the Merriman signing, it's the "see how stupid the Bills are, and always will be" attitude that makes him a 2 bit hack. Tell me what in his writing separates him from any one of the negative nancy threads you can find on this board daily. seriously, try.

Well said.

I never read that moron's crap - and my radio dial doesn't go that far left, so I never listen to 'GR either.

Column As I See 'Em

Never liked Sully's tone, but when the team has been so bad for this long how can you accuse the guy for writing mostly negative columns???

There is a difference between reporting bad news and flinging poop. Jerry relishes his role as the town know-it-all. He happily tells everyone he knew things would go bad all along...right after they happen, although he always hedges his bets with a little snark even when things are going well.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot