Best book and movie combo you've seen recently?

Simon

I was enjoying going through that old Ten Worst films thread and thought combining these two discussions that come up occasionally might provide some good suggestions.

The rule is that you have to have both read the book and seen the film and thought both were good, regardless of whether they followed one another closely.

I'm going with True Grit. It's a very good book that definitely stands the test of time (I re-read it after seeing the recent film). I could never stomach more than a few minutes of that John Wayne claptrap, but liked Jeff Bridges enough to give the newer version a chance. Both the Mattie Ross character and the Rooster Cogburn character were played to absoute perfection, the writing was outstanding and the filmwork was beautifully done. If you haven't read or seen either yet, do yourself a favor and get your hands on both.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy ... American movie version to be released in December. The Swedish movie series was quite good. This was probably the only time I have seen a movie after having read the book and felt as though the movie was true to the book.

I agree with the Girl with The Dragon Tattoo. Well done all around.

Other favorites: Jesus' Son, American Psycho.

I didn't read No Country, but the movie was great. McCarthy's The Road was a great book, but did not translate to the screen very well in my opinion.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy ... American movie version to be released in December. The Swedish movie series was quite good. This was probably the only time I have seen a movie after having read the book and felt as though the movie was true to the book.

I liked that one too. I thought they changed a few things from the book. Most things were small but the big one was that even though they were in Finland in the book, they still spoke English. In the movie they spoke Finland and had subtitles.

I would have made the chick in the movie more normal looking. Hot even. More $$$$$$$$ at the box office. It was ok that she was freaky in the book.

Overall the story in the book was good. I was able to figure some of it out but not all of it. I like the use of technology to figure out mysteries from a time with not much technology. I would be more specific but don't want to ruin it. I saw the trailer for the American movie and it looked pretty decent.

No Country for Old Men. Love me some Cormac McCarthy and some Coen Bros.

THIS

great writer, great book, AMAZING directors, and very well executed acting across the board = success

AND - to whoever said the Road was great book but didnt translate well to the screen...I think thats kind of an odd statement considering the book and movie were exactly alike (aside from the few scenes taken out of the movie by producers/editors because it was "too graphic" for general audience, EX: the baby being on the spitt over the fire at the canibals house) Otherwise I think the movie was very good at depicting the harsh post-apocolyptic world, as well as the close bond between father and son..what exactly were you not a fan of in the movie?

In the movie they spoke Finland and had subtitles.

Oh, crap, I need to watch this again. I didn’t put the subtitles on. I thought the characters were just mumbling. Or using words I didn’t understand because they’re so intelligent. Or incredibly pretentious and affected. I really need to see it again. I think I missed quite a bit.

I didn't read No Country, but the movie was great. McCarthy's The Road was a great book, but did not translate to the screen very well in my opinion.

That movie was disturbing. Normally movies don't really affect me at all but there are a few scenes in that one that really bothered me. I don't think it was a great movie but they did a good job, perhaps too good, of capturing what human beings would do when the chips are down. Or judging by some recent national news stories, the filmmakers did an admirable job of capturing what people will do just to make a buck.

the Road...

what exactly were you not a fan of in the movie?

I think it's a good movie. I definitely like Viggo Mortensen in it. I just think that the book has something really great in the language. The plot is very simple and I just felt it in the book and the movie not as much. That's just my take. I think it would be better to see the movie without having read the book.

A Song of Ice & Fire book series and the HBO show A Game of Thrones. I know it's not a movie but it's the closest I can get! Both are amazing if you ask me.

Edited by bam

Oh, crap, I need to watch this again. I didn’t put the subtitles on. I thought the characters were just mumbling. Or using words I didn’t understand because they’re so intelligent. Or incredibly pretentious and affected. I really need to see it again. I think I missed quite a bit.

There was some of that crap too but lots of the words were subtitled.