All Time Underappreciated Bills

QB- Doug Flutie -even with all the hype he covered for a line that wasnt very good

RB- Greg Bell -good back who could catch and run and brought us Bennett - thank you Greg

RB- Robb Riddick -pretty descent all around back, bounced back from a broken leg in year two

WR- Chris Burkett -was a pretty descent performer

WR- Bob Chandler -despite never having a partner to work with pretty good reciever

TE- Ruben Gant -I'd take him today

OT- Joe Devlin -I always thought one of the best we ever had

OT- John Fina -we should have built around him instead we left him by himself

OG- John Davis -the o-line was never as good as when he was in there

OG- Tim Vogler -really solid O-lineman

OC- Will Grant -undersized for even back then

-------------------------------------------------------

DE- Sean McNanie -not a great player but he could start on this team

NT- Mike Kadish -one of few solid players at the time

DE- Art Still -we got him too late but was still a good player

LB- Lucious Sanford -active linebacker solid player

LB- Eugene Marve -this poor guy was one hell of a player on some bad teams

LB- Scott Radecic -another blue collar guy I would take today

LB- Sam Rogers -always knew his assignments solid player

CB- Derrick Burroughs -career cut short right at the time he was coming on

CB- Antoine Winfield -have been trying to find his replacement still

SS- Jeff Nixon -knew where to be never a hard hitter but smart

FS- Rod Kush -punishing tackler

P- John Kidd - good punter on some lousy teams

PK- Rian Lindell - he's been a great kicker even though his team hasn't been very good

John Fina SUCKED...Total turnstile. Kelly retired because the guy sucked so badly. Bad choice. Not to mention~ I met the fat drunk at a bar in Scottsdale and he was a puddle and told me he thought the town/city of Buffalo sucked, and was a dump and that was why he was living in Arizona...You never heard Kent Hull say that. Fina was a big time doosh

Edited by BuffaloWest

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe no one mentioned Roland Hooks. He was the 'Fred Jackson' of the seventies. Totally under-appreciated and under-utilized. He was played sparingly, but when he played, he averaged over 4 yards per carry. He single-handedly won several games during those pathetic years.

I was scanning the thread looking for him. Was going to mention him. I also agree with the poster who said Rosevelt Leaks. Also Charlie Rhomes

I was scanning the thread looking for him. Was going to mention him. I also agree with the poster who said Rosevelt Leaks. Also Charlie Rhomes

I was going to mention Rosie, too. I loved those big fullbacks back when they would carry the ball for that one yard conversion, and nobody could bring them down. I remember Larry Kinnebrew doing that for us, as well.

The whole 1980 Bills team is underappreciated! My all time favorite!

Mark Kelso

F-that!!!! Having that Dark Helmet looking sumbitch on the field was like playing defense with ten men instead of eleven! Whenever they showed a replay of an opponent TD, you always had Kelso just BARELY starting to come into the picture right as the replay ended.

The St. Petersburg Times ran an article today called "Top Ten Most Underappreciated Buccaneers". Pretty interesting stuff. Since it's a bye week, thought I'd run through my list of all-time underappreciated Bills (in no particular order). And no, you can't include Phil Hansen. If you're name is on the friggin' wall, you can't be friggin' underappreciated.

1. Jim Braxton. Did the dirty work for O.J. Powerful runner in his own right.

2. Bobby Chandler. One of the best possession receivers in Bills' history. Great blocker for O.J., especially for someone his size. Had a bunch of productive seasons after being traded to Oakland.

3. Mark Pike. Bad luck being a great special teams player on a team with the best special teams player of all time.

4. Frank Lewis. Jerry Butler had more flash but Lewis put together several strong seasons with the Bills.

5. Jim Ritcher. What was it? Something like sixteen years of solid left guard play?

6. Charles Rhomes. I remember him being a pretty good cornerback for us for a long time.

7. Pete Metzelaars. Strange career. Started for us for a bunch of years. Got benched for a few years in favor of Keith McKellar and then started again for a bunch of years after McKellar was gone. Strong blocker and dependable receiver.

8. Derrick Burroughs. He was really, really good. Better CB than Nate Odomes. Always thought we would have won Super Bowl XXV if he hadn't suffered career ended injury in 1989.

9. Daryl Talley. Underappreciated for first half of career. Pretty well appreciated after 1990.

10. Fred Jackson. He'll be off this list soon enough. Pay the man!

LOL just noticed that you told us not to include guys like Phil Hansen who are on the Bills Wall of Fame...then you proceed to list Darryl Talley and Jim Ritcher...

John Fina SUCKED...Total turnstile. Kelly retired because the guy sucked so badly. Bad choice. Not to mention~ I met the fat drunk at a bar in Scottsdale and he was a puddle and told me he thought the town/city of Buffalo sucked, and was a dump and that was why he was living in Arizona...You never heard Kent Hull say that. Fina was a big time doosh

Thanks for sharing. I agree, total garbage.

F-that!!!! Having that Dark Helmet looking sumbitch on the field was like playing defense with ten men instead of eleven! Whenever they showed a replay of an opponent TD, you always had Kelso just BARELY starting to come into the picture right as the replay ended.

LOL... I hear ya, but he did make some plays too.

The most underappreciated were those that the BILLS traded away, who became Stars with other teams. Talk about being Underappreciated! :doh:

Daryle LaMonica, Haven Moses, Ron McDole etc.

Then we have; Tom Sestak, Paul Maguire, Mike Stratton, Cookie Gilchrist, Wray Carlton, Ernie Warlick, Elbert Dubenion etc., etc.

I know these are guys from the 60's Championship years but time has a way of diminishing past appreciation and a Bye week is a great time to remember them too.

That was a great Era for the BILLS as well as the City of Buffalo.

Paul Costa, Glenn Bass, Billy Joe, Harry Jacobs, Billy Shaw, George Saimes,Hagood Clarke, Butch Byrd, Pete Gogolack, etc....

I can't believe no one mentioned Roland Hooks. He was the 'Fred Jackson' of the seventies. Totally under-appreciated and under-utilized. He was played sparingly, but when he played, he averaged over 4 yards per carry. He single-handedly won several games during those pathetic years.

That was going to be my choice. Really good all around player.

Roland Hooks.

Frank Lewis.

Tony Greene.

QB- Doug Flutie -even with all the hype he covered for a line that wasnt very good

RB- Greg Bell -good back who could catch and run and brought us Bennett - thank you Greg

RB- Robb Riddick -pretty descent all around back, bounced back from a broken leg in year two

WR- Chris Burkett -was a pretty descent performer

WR- Bob Chandler -despite never having a partner to work with pretty good reciever

TE- Ruben Gant -I'd take him today

OT- Joe Devlin -I always thought one of the best we ever had

OT- John Fina -we should have built around him instead we left him by himself

OG- John Davis -the o-line was never as good as when he was in there

OG- Tim Vogler -really solid O-lineman

OC- Will Grant -undersized for even back then

-------------------------------------------------------

DE- Sean McNanie -not a great player but he could start on this team

NT- Mike Kadish -one of few solid players at the time

DE- Art Still -we got him too late but was still a good player

LB- Lucious Sanford -active linebacker solid player

LB- Eugene Marve -this poor guy was one hell of a player on some bad teams

LB- Scott Radecic -another blue collar guy I would take today

LB- Sam Rogers -always knew his assignments solid player

CB- Derrick Burroughs -career cut short right at the time he was coming on

CB- Antoine Winfield -have been trying to find his replacement still

SS- Jeff Nixon -knew where to be never a hard hitter but smart

FS- Rod Kush -punishing tackler

P- John Kidd - good punter on some lousy teams

PK- Rian Lindell - he's been a great kicker even though his team hasn't been very good

Radecic is the guy who's been hired to remodel the Ralph

+1

Hooks was my avatar until I switched to this weird medieval thing.

F-that!!!! Having that Dark Helmet looking sumbitch on the field was like playing defense with ten men instead of eleven! Whenever they showed a replay of an opponent TD, you always had Kelso just BARELY starting to come into the picture right as the replay ended

He played a decent center field, came up with some nice interceptions. 30 of em over 8 yrs.