Old timers share some Bills stories here

Sorry I'm on a roll here.  Not any particular game, but when OJ was here.  At the game or at home, any time he was loose in broken field situations, everyone would stand up all excited because there was always the chance he was going to break it all the way.  If there was one guy left in front of him, that was as good as 7 points because that defender had no chance.  The other thing about OJ, NO ONE ever caught him from behind

Buffalo fans should recall in the 70's Buffalo had arguably the greatest athletes in 3 of the 4 major sports.  OJ, Gil Perrault, and Bob McAdoo.  That was a great time

174621[/snapback]

Amazing I got an OJ autograph watching a Braves game, Gilbert at all of the french connection at a Bills game and McAdoo at a Sabres game. I used to go to games with an executive from a Bills, Braves and Sabres radio station and we always seemed to run into stars. Being a 12 year old kid at the time I was estatic. Plus my 7th grade teacher was brother of old Sabres information director and emergency practice goaltender ( Wheland ) :devil:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking about the old Rockpile War Memorial...........you'd park your car and the neighborhood kids would come up and say "watch your car for a quarter". :devil:

You'd give them the money and they'd walk away! Cheap insurance I guess as otherwise you're probably looking at 4 flat tires after the game. By the time the baseball Bisons were playing their last games there the price was up to $5. Talk about inflation!!!!!!!!

Amazing I got an OJ autograph watching a Braves game, Gilbert at all of the french connection at a Bills game and McAdoo at a Sabres game.  I used to go to games with an executive from a Bills, Braves and Sabres radio station and we always seemed to run into stars.  Being a 12 year old kid at the time I was estatic.  Plus my 7th grade teacher was brother of old Sabres information director and emergency practice goaltender ( Wheland ) :devil:

174644[/snapback]

Bona's Bob Lanier would come to our house to visit the tenant upstairs, his good friend. He was so tall he could look right into our kitchen window and he would yell to my Mom "cooking smells good tonight". Myself and a friend would go upstairs and hang with him for a little while each time. Damn that guy had some shoes on him! My Dad used to panic about what the neighbors would think with this 7' black guy coming to our Cheektowaga house. I think his first contract Bob L could buy out the whole block. It's funny to think back about that now

I have posted so many odes to the 1980 and 1981 Bills on the board over the last year, I just can't go over it all again. Those were the first good Bills teams of my life (I was born in 1965, was cognisent of the Bills from 1972 on). I get msity eyed thinking about guys like Ferguson, Joe Cribbs, Jerry Butler (someone had the stones to name him as one of the most overrated Bills of all times, the fool!), Reggie McKenzie, Steve Freeman (one of the all-time most underrated Bills), Haslett, Smerlas, Shane Nelson, Charles Romes, Mario Clark, and the epitome of the old time tough guy football coach, Chuck Knox. Those were some terrific teams, that got derailed by the strike, and Ralph Wilson's frugal spending habits. Ralph and Chuck never could see eye to eye. I hated Ralph for letting Knox get away to Seattle.

I have a great video of a Monday night game from 1981, Bills vs Dolphins. The phins were good that year, but the Bills took it too them. Buffalo was "talking proud" that night, as Cribbs and Ferguson shredded the Miami defense. I watched it this past summer, and it reinforced to me just how damn good a football player Joe Cribbs was, and much faster and elusive than I had even remembered. I loved those teams...still get excited when I see the old white helmets with the charging Buffaloes.........one more beer......

My story comes from a preseason probably about 69. It was a kickoff return. The guy carrying the ball was behind 3 guys on the ground when out of nowhere some guy leaps head first over the 3 guys on the ground and tackles the ball carrier. I thought to myself, wow I'm going to keep my eye on that guy. Turns out it was Robert James, who still may be one of the best players the Bills have ever had.

I have posted so many odes to the 1980 and 1981 Bills on the board over the last year, I just can't go over it all again.  Those were the first good Bills teams of my life (I was born in 1965, was cognisent of the Bills from 1972 on).  I get msity eyed thinking about guys like Ferguson, Joe Cribbs, Jerry Butler (someone had the stones to name him as one of the most overrated Bills of all times, the fool!), Reggie McKenzie, Steve Freeman (one of the all-time most underrated Bills), Haslett, Smerlas, Shane Nelson, Charles Romes, Mario Clark, and the epitome of the old time tough guy football coach, Chuck Knox.  Those were some terrific teams, that got derailed by the strike, and Ralph Wilson's frugal spending habits.  Ralph and Chuck never could see eye to eye.  I hated Ralph for letting Knox get away to Seattle. 

I have a great video of a Monday night game from 1981, Bills vs Dolphins.  The phins were good that year, but the Bills took it too them. Buffalo was "talking proud" that night, as Cribbs and Ferguson shredded the Miami defense.  I watched it this past summer, and it reinforced to me just how damn good a football player Joe Cribbs was, and much faster and elusive than I had even remembered.  I loved those teams...still get excited when I see the old white helmets with the charging Buffaloes.........one more beer......

174779[/snapback]

I believe that was the night they interrupted the game to announce that John Lennon had died. I need to check but I believe I have that game on video tape. My brother bought one of the first VCR's and I think I may have that game.

Altho this is pretty close to the cutoff (pre 1987?), I remember Jim Kelly's first home game as a starter against the Jets,1986. There was a sense of anticipation in the stadium that I"ve never felt before or since. I'd have someone else check this, but I seem to remember him running a TD in. The Bills lost, but I think the magic of Kelly overtook the disappointment of the loss.

Being only 23 years old, I'd like to hear more about the Bills teams of the past that I - and many others here - never experienced.

Back in '74 or '75 when the Bills were losing all those games to the Dolphins - the Bills were in Miami and -

JIm Braxton had a full head of steam going downhill - when the diminutive Miami safety, Jake Scott attempted a head on tackle. Those tread marks probably never came out of Jake's uniform but it was a highlight in a long losing streak :devil:

Altho this is pretty close to the cutoff (pre 1987?), I remember Jim Kelly's first home game as a starter against the Jets,1986.  There was a sense of anticipation in the stadium that I"ve never felt before or since.  I'd have someone else check this, but I seem to remember him running a TD in.  The Bills lost, but I think the magic of Kelly overtook the disappointment of the loss.

174844[/snapback]

September 7, 1986

Scoring

Bills - Kelly to Greg Bell - 1 yd TD

NY - Tony Paige 2-YD run (after a muffed punt by Walter Broughton (?)

NY - Toon - 46 yard pass from O'Brien

Bills - 19 yard FG (Norwood)

Bills - Reed - 55 yds from kelly

NY - Johnny Hector - 1 yard run

NY - Wesley Walker - 71 yards

Bills - Metzelaars - 4 yards

Jets 28 - Bills 24

Kelly - 20 of 33 for 292

O'Brien - 18 of 25 for 287

Sellout - 79,951

The Bills defense had held the Jets to 14 yards and

one first down in the third quarter

I believe that was the night they interrupted the game to announce that John Lennon had died.  I need to check but I believe I have that game on video tape.  My brother bought one of the first VCR's and I think I may have that game.

174825[/snapback]

Actually, Lennon was shot in 1980, the previous season. I remember that night, it was a game between the Dolphins and Patriots, if memory serves. I remember it pretty well, because it was one of the last 3 or 4 games of the season, and I was very interested, because the Bills in a pretty tight divisional race with the Patriots. I was tormented, pulling for Miami, even though I always hated them. Then, my sister came running down from her bedroom, saying that she had just heard on the radio that John Lennon had been shot. I didn't believe her. I was/am a huge Beatles fanatic. Anyway, within 5 minutes, Cosell said, "I have just been handed some terrible news. John Lennon, of the musical group the Beatles, has been shot, in Manahatten...." My mind went blank (some argue it has remained that way ever since!) and I honestly, I don't even remember who won the game. I just remember staring at the TV, and my face got really hot, and I felt numb.....hard to believe that was 24 years ago......had to get up and deliver the Couriour Express the next morning. Maybe it was the Buffalo News...can't remember when the Couriour folded. I delivered them all at one time or another....do kids still deliver newspapers?

October 1980.  I was living on the left coast at the time.  Saw the Bills rally in the 4th quarter to beat the Air Coryell Bolts, 26-24, at the Murph.  Our Heroes were on top of the pro football world at 5-0 (Bert Jones and the Colts stepped on the cake the following week).  But what a rush that was. 

It was a hair-raiser, believe you me.  Chargers had the ball and were driving when Fouts connected with Winslow over the middle at midfield, but several Bills converged, popped the ball out, and there was Jim Haslett running the other way back to Bolts territory.  One first down later, and it was over.  Un-bill-ievable.

173588[/snapback]

Did you see the Bills play the Chargers in the quarter finals game at the Murph? Joe Fergeson played that game. It was a really good game as well. Joe Fergeson had a bum ankle and he just stood in the shotgun formation and took the deep snap and heaved the ball. We lost that game by the slimmest of margins but I thought it was courageous of Ferge to take that beating and still be competitive.

Man, I REALLY wish the NFL would play some old classic games with Gowdy at the mic.  Dude is excellent and STILL my favorite, though Enberg was great when he was at the top of his game.

174633[/snapback]

Mostly NFC guy... but Ray Scott was an all time great announcer.

My story comes from a preseason probably about 69.  It was a kickoff return.  The guy carrying the ball was behind 3 guys on the ground when out of nowhere some guy leaps head first over the 3 guys on the ground and tackles the ball carrier.  I thought to myself, wow I'm going to keep my eye on that guy.  Turns out it was Robert James, who still may be one of the best players the Bills have ever had.

174817[/snapback]

I remember the game he intercepted a pass and blew out his knee.. the end of a brilliant career. He was something special.

Here's another, 1968, the year the Jets win the 69 Super Bowl.  Bills only victory in a 1-12-1 season is the Jets.  We are at War Memorial where the Bills win 37-35 as Bills return 3-4 picks for TD's.

173640[/snapback]

That was my 2nd Bills game. 4 INT's of Joe Namath. 3 were returned for TD's. Safety Tom Janick cut in front of Don Maynard at the goal line and took one back 100 yards. Butch Byrd and Booker Edgerson ran back the others. A great memory of my childhood.

I remember the game he intercepted a pass and blew out his knee.. the end of a brilliant career. He was something special.

174967[/snapback]

That was in a 1975 pre-season game, after an INT. Rams RB Lawrence McCutcheon made the fatal hit. McCutcheon wound up finishing his career in Buffalo.

I keep hearing that Ralph was a real pennypincher before Polian came to town. Anyone want to elaborate on that?

Why couldn't the Bills get over the hump for 20 years after the AFL glory days? Was it Ralph? Bad luck? What?

174120[/snapback]

Ralph was a pennypincher. The mid-70s gives out a pretty vivid example. Ahmad Rashad is let go over a 10k dispute. Earl Edwards isn't re-signed. Robert James is injured. Several bad things happened after 1975. Suitcase Lou took off. That could have been a special team. Instead, until Knox arrived, that team was horrible.

That was my 2nd Bills game. 4 INT's of Joe Namath. 3 were returned for TD's. Safety Tom Janick cut in front of Don Maynard at the goal line and took one back 100 yards. Butch Byrd and Booker Edgerson ran back the others. A great memory of my childhood.

174969[/snapback]

I think one of my greatest memories of early games (other than OJ) involved our getting to see Joe Namath at home once a year. We seemed to play pretty well against him, but he was a true star and fun to watch.