Old timers share some Bills stories here

Being only 23 years old, I'd like to hear more about the Bills teams of the past that I - and many others here - never experienced.

Hey, just trying to please BillsNYC... We've discussed playoff scenarios, Drew Bledsoe, Travis Henry trades, Tom Donahoe, ICE, and cowbell to death around here. Time for a change!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sept. 1980....After getting our butts kicked for the entire 1970's(20 straight friggin' games) by Miami with the likes of Don Shula, Bob Griese, Larry Czonka, Dick Anderson, Jake Scott, Nick Buoniconti, etc..., the Bills beat the Dolphins at RWS. I was lucky to be in attendance and join the celebration on the field after the game as the goalposts got torn down and the fans went crazy. Outisde of the 4 conference championships, this may be my favorite Bills game of all-time.

1975...i was 9 years old...we lived almost halfway between buffalo and pittsburgh, but unfortunately, my dad's salesman friend could only ever get us steeler tickets. but that year, we got lucky and got bills at pgh. tix. so mom, dad and i drove the 3 1/2 hrs to three rivers and watched buffalo clobber the super bowl champs. two plays stand out: sherman white and earl edwards clobbering bradshaw and running back the fumble, and oj taking a sweep around the right side 89 yards for a td. i think my family were the only 3 people in the stadium cheering... and it was sweet.

i also remember a banner that hung in the endzone oj rolled into:

"with the steel curtain,

you can be certain,

the juice will be hurtin."

oj went over 200 yards that day. haha...suck it pittsburgh.

October 1980. I was living on the left coast at the time. Saw the Bills rally in the 4th quarter to beat the Air Coryell Bolts, 26-24, at the Murph. Our Heroes were on top of the pro football world at 5-0 (Bert Jones and the Colts stepped on the cake the following week). But what a rush that was.

It was a hair-raiser, believe you me. Chargers had the ball and were driving when Fouts connected with Winslow over the middle at midfield, but several Bills converged, popped the ball out, and there was Jim Haslett running the other way back to Bolts territory. One first down later, and it was over. Un-bill-ievable.

In 1978, at the ripe old age of 8, I attended my first Bills game. I had really only discovered football the previous season after watching the Vikings dismantle the Bengals on TV. I was convinced that Alan Page was the greatest football player on the planet and I was a Vikings fan. My father took this opportunity to teach me the evils of gambling by betting me that the Cowboys would beat the Vikings in the NFC championship game. I didn't even ask for points, so sure that the Purple People Eaters would destroy the Cowboys. I mean, "How could Glen Cambell compete with Alan Page?", I thought. Well I lost that bet ($2 IIRC), and then in my anger I took the Broncos in the SB. I swore off gambling on football for at least 10 years.

During the '78 preseason, the Vikings played at Rich Stadium and I was sure that this year they would prevail. My father, wise man that he is, told me "Hops, you know we're going to the Bills game, so you should probably start rooting for them." We had tickets to the opener against Pittsburgh. We got to the stadium around about 2 hours before kickoff which pretty much puts the timestamp of my Bills affection at 1978-09-03 11:00:00. The parking lot was awesome. I had never seen tailgating before so I was sure that if this thing involved 80,000 people having a picnic at the same place, it had to be special. The game is blurred by the years, but I do remember that there were a few Steelers fans around us. They were okay, but there was some good-natured razzing going on. Also, LC Greenwood had yellow shoes. That's one of those things that an 8-year old takes note of. The Bills lost 28-17, but I was hooked. Bobby Chandler was now my favorite player, sorry Alan.

26 years later, we've got an important game coming up against the Steelers. Let's go Buffalo!

:D

October 1980.  I was living on the left coast at the time.  Saw the Bills rally in the 4th quarter to beat the Air Coryell Bolts, 26-24, at the Murph.  Our Heroes were on top of the pro football world at 5-0 (Bert Jones and the Colts stepped on the cake the following week).  But what a rush that was. 

It was a hair-raiser, believe you me.  Chargers had the ball and were driving when Fouts connected with Winslow over the middle at midfield, but several Bills converged, popped the ball out, and there was Jim Haslett running the other way back to Bolts territory.  One first down later, and it was over.  Un-bill-ievable.

173588[/snapback]

That was a great game. Man, the talent those two teams put on the field.

About 1974, Monday night game @ Rich against the Raiders, Bills down by 11 with 4-5 minutes left. My Dad, who always had to leave early every where to beat traffic, says "lets go". We are just outside the gates when we hear a crowd roar, the Bills are coming back. Score 2 TD's in that time and win by 3. We are in the parking lot. I want to say both TD's went to Ahmad Rashad, but that is just a guess. To this day, I stay at every game until the the clock says 00:00, win or lose

Guest Guest_eyedog_*
Sept. 1980....After getting our butts kicked for the entire 1970's(20 straight friggin' games) by Miami with the likes of Don Shula, Bob Griese, Larry Czonka, Dick Anderson, Jake Scott, Nick Buoniconti, etc..., the Bills beat the Dolphins at RWS.  I was lucky to be in attendance and join the celebration on the field after the game as the goalposts got torn down and the fans went crazy.  Outisde of the 4 conference championships, this may be my favorite Bills game of all-time.

173568[/snapback]

What a game. This is also my favorite game along with the comeback. Yes I was at both.

My favorite memories besides the Kelly Bills was the OJ years. They were not always good teams but he was exciting to watch. Also loved the Chuck Knox early 80's teams. Bermuda triangle days.

I also was at the 1980 Miami game. It really was wild and fun.

I have fond memories of watching Jerry Butler play. Of course his career ended prematurely, but he was a great player during his short career. I also remember the excitement that Terri Miller (first or second round pick) generated in his first game as a Bill (I think it was his first game) when he returned a kick-off for a touchdown. Everyone at the stadium was yellling "Miller Time." Unfortunately, he turned out to be a bust.

I also liked watching the Bermuda triangle. Smerlas was dominating at times.

About 1974, Monday night game @ Rich against the Raiders, Bills down by 11 with 4-5 minutes left.  My Dad, who always had to leave early every where to beat traffic, says "lets go".  We are just outside the gates when we hear a crowd roar, the Bills are coming back.  Score 2 TD's in that time and win by 3.  We are in the parking lot.  I want to say both TD's went to Ahmad Rashad, but that is just a guess.  To this day, I stay at every game until the the clock says 00:00, win or lose

173623[/snapback]

I was at the BUF/NE game in early 80s when Fergy threw the Hail Mary / Big Ben play that Hooks caught. Unfortunately, my dad also said "Let's Go" a few minutes before. We stood just outside in the parking lot when we heard the roar of the crowd, followed by "Here's the replay on the scoreboard." And there in Black and Amber for all the world to see -- the reason I never leave ANY game early, not pro, college or HS. I even stay all the way through my son's TBall games that don't keep score (although that's for a different, good-father reason). We have never let my father live that game down.

I was pretty young so I'm sure some of the details are wrong, but here's what I remember.

I think it was OJ's rookie year, so maybe 1969. We had tickets to a Saturday night game at WMS (the real Rockpile) against the Patriots with Carl Garrett (from New Mexico Highlands, who won rookie of the year). We get there and hear OJ is out for the game and the Bills have signed as a replacement "Preston Ridlehuber." Now that I've heard of him, I've still never heard of him.

Anyway, in the third quarter Preston R gets sent in and the Bills start him on an OJ-style sweep. Preston R suddenly heaves the ball downfield to, I think, Haven Moses (before he was traded to Denver, of course) who's completely uncovered and scores easily. Turns out Preston R had played QB at Georgia or someplace like that. I don't remember the score but the Bills won, maybe something like 17-10. The Bills and Pats were both pretty awful in those days.

Three stand out.

#1) 1980, I think. Cold game, not sold out, When Bills beat the Rams(i think) and all the players came back out for a Rockette type dance after the game in Rich to talkin proud.

#2) Cant remeber the year, but Haslett kickin Bradsahw in the head. Think we lost that game, but dam that was funny.

#3) Year before the historic Miami win which I was also at, Bills down 9-7 and ole Tom Dempsey missin like a 35 on the last play of the game. Memorable to me cause it was the coldest I ever was at Ralph. First game of the year, 75 degrees at the tailgate, sunny skies, walk in in shorts and a tee shirt. Bout halftime a friggin Noreaster (it seems like )blows in off the lake and the temp goes to somewhere around 60 with driving rain and 20 mile an hour winds. Coudn't leave, it was close and it was the fish. Only time I truly think I would have taken a punch at a player when he missed that dam kick!

Being only 23 years old, I'd like to hear more about the Bills teams of the past that I - and many others here - never experienced.

Hey, just trying to please BillsNYC... We've discussed playoff scenarios, Drew Bledsoe, Travis Henry trades, Tom Donahoe, ICE, and cowbell to death around here. Time for a change!

173542[/snapback]

October 1973 - rare home MNF game against the Chiefs. Howard Cosell, Dandy Don Meredith and Frank Gifford. O. J., in the days when all his slashing was done on the football field, topped 1,000 yards for the season in the SEVENTH GAME OF THE SEASON. Fergy rarely passed and we beat the Chiefs like a rented mule. The fans abused Howard and it may have been his last visit to Rich Stadium.

October 1973 - rare home MNF game against the Chiefs.  Howard Cosell, Dandy Don Meredith and Frank Gifford.  O. J., in the days when all his slashing was done on the football field, topped 1,000 yards for the season in the SEVENTH GAME OF THE SEASON.  Fergy rarely passed and we beat the Chiefs like a rented mule.  The fans abused Howard and it may have been his last visit to Rich Stadium.

173679[/snapback]

What do you mean by the fans abused Howard?

1962 I was 11 years old. The Bills started the season 0-5. Game 6 at the Rockpile. Seemed to recall it was an evening game. Not unusual in those days since the AFL often tried to avoid head-to-head competion with the NFL.

I listened to a young Van Miller broadcast the game on the old radio sitting on the shelf above the kitchen sink. Bills were getting pushed all over the field by the San Diego Chargers. In stepped a young QB named Warren Raab. Raab played brilliantly. So did their rookie FB Cookie Gilchrist. Bills went on to win by a huge score and never looked back. They finished the season 7-6-1 and out of the playoffs.

1963 was proclaimed to be the Bills year after that great finish. Not quite. They finished 7-6-1 again, but this time tied for the Eastern Divisin Championship with the Boston Patriots. The Pats won the playoff and represented the East. They were humilaited by San Diego. The Chargers scored 50+ points in the championship game at Balboa Stadium.

Everyone was off by one year. 1964 proved to be the year of the Buffalo Bills. They dominated the AFL from day 1 until the final play of the season. Strong, deep, talented team.

Maybe we're setting the table for the same scenario now?

Sept. 1980....After getting our butts kicked for the entire 1970's(20 straight friggin' games) by Miami with the likes of Don Shula, Bob Griese, Larry Czonka, Dick Anderson, Jake Scott, Nick Buoniconti, etc..., the Bills beat the Dolphins at RWS.  I was lucky to be in attendance and join the celebration on the field after the game as the goalposts got torn down and the fans went crazy.  Outisde of the 4 conference championships, this may be my favorite Bills game of all-time.

173568[/snapback]

Absolutely one of my all-time favorite sports experiences! As fans, the 400 pound gorilla was lifted off of our backs that day. I remember looking out into the parking lot at the 2 minute warning and not a car was moving, not one. The 10 years of losing to the hated fish, every imaginable way, had built-up tremendous aggravation & pressure and it all released that opening day. The fans broke out with a spontaneous chant of "we beat Miami" as the clock wound down. it was great! I didn't even leave the stadium until about an hour after the game ended. After the fans tore down the goalposts, they passed the cross bars up the rows of seats, hand over hand, to Ralph Wilson's box. He had them cut-up and they were used as giveaways on the radio if I remember. Adding insult to injury: the only place new goalposts could be gotten for the next week was from the maker who was located in Miami.

And if you didn't know, a prime reason that they are the "hated dolphins" is because the Bills did go "oh for the '70s" losing 20 straight games to Miami.

The year is 1968, just 2 years since we played in our 3rd consecutive championship game. Our quarterbacks are the veterans Jack kemp and Tom Flores (who we traded Darryl Lamonica for).

In pre-season, the Coach is upset by the play in an exhibition game (as pre-season games were then called) and ordered a full contact practice. Kemp was hit, went down and was gone for the year.

On opening day against the Raiders, Flores goes down early and is gone for the year and the Bills lose 48-6 in Buffalo.

The Bills are left to play with Benny Russell, Kay Stephenson and Dan Darragh. Eventually they all get hurt.

The second last game of the season is the 1-11 Bills versus the 10-2 Raiders in Oakland. Because of all the injuries the Bills have to play WR Ed Rutkowski at QB. Amazingly, we hang in the game and are down 13-10 and have the ball on the Oakland 1 with little time remaining. The Bills call a quarterback keeper and as Rutkowski heads to the end zone, he is hit and fumbles and the Bills lose. I was broken hearted.

However, if Rutkowski had made the end zone, the Bills would have lost the #1 pick in the draft and been stuck with Leroy Keyes from Purdue instead of that OJ kid from USC. And there has never been a more exciting player in a Bills uniform than the Juice. Too bad about all that other stuff.

173542[/snapback]

In 1991 my father myself and our cross-border gang of season ticket holders would drive every Sunday to all home games to see the Bills at (Rich Stadium). My father, only 56 years young had stomach cancer and was in such pain during (AFC CHAMP GAME) the 53-3 stopping of the Raiders, he had to sit in the parking lot and watch the game with some tail gaters on a small TV in his Van. 2 Days before the" wide right bowl game in Tampa " my Dad was hospitalized. The medication was so mind controlling, he did not know what was going on and did not see the SB game. On the Monday after the game I could not tell him the results, I just said to him, they did it ! He passed on February 2nd 1991 knowing his beloved Bills won the SB. So now here we are today ( 3 additional trips to SB) and I still need a Bills SB to give to my father. I hope he will forgive me