are we really that bad of a defense?

It seems like we have all the players needed to have a solid defense at least on paper....but in the game they just seems to be out of position....

Now coaching seems to lack all imagination.....

And injuries have been a concern....

And no one might agree with me, but PUT MARCY AT DE .....

Here's where everyone disagree .... Leodis is a good corner.... he struggles against freakish WRs ..... but in the last two games he done well against his man.....Mcgee is back and made some plays....

Now.... can we ever get to the QB? I don't know..... its just a lack of imagination....

Here's where everyone disagree .... Leodis is a good corner.... he struggles against freakish WRs ..... but in the last two games he done well against his man.....Mcgee is back and made some plays....

Now.... can we ever get to the QB? I don't know..... its just a lack of imagination....

Or do we just not have that Demarcus ware, clay Matthews, type athlete that makes everyone look better coming off the edge?

There is your problem right there. We have zero pass rush and with that being the case you can have 4 db's with red capes sticking out of their uniforms and your not gonna win many games. We made plays in those other games that won us those ball games...asking your db's to do it every week is not fair to them

Seems to me the biggest problem is a lack of a pass rush and the fact that our corners get burnt a lot. Don't really know if that's because of our schemes or not.

I think everyone can agree our safeties are incredible and that our tackling has been pretty good. Fix the rush, and our man to man coverage, and this D might be respectable. Add that to an offense that's lighting it up, we have a great shot.

We don't have an elite defensive end you have to plan for. San Francisco has two of the top 3 pass rushers statistically right now, Justin Smith and Ray McDonald.

Dareus is on his way. He's #9 on this list, but Dwan Edwards is not on this list. We need 2 to play.

1 Justin Smith SF

2 Antonio D. Smith HST

3 Ray McDonald SF

4 Darnell Dockett ARZ

5 Randy Starks MIA

6 Calais Campbell ARZ

7 Wallace Gilberry KC

8 Kendall Langford MIA

9 Marcell Dareus BUF

10 Brett Keisel PIT

11 Vonnie Holliday ARZ

12 Tommie Harris SD

13 Sean Lissemore DAL

14 J.J. Watt HST

15 Cameron Heyward PIT

pass rush !!! it's obvious we can't create one winning one-on-one match-ups, just not talented enough, so now it's time to get creative, do some different blitz packages, etc.

by the way, we did generate pressure against Vick, and it did result in turnovers--he's not the kind of QB you'll get sacks against, but we did make him move . . . why not every week?

It seems like we have all the players needed to have a solid defense at least on paper....but in the game they just seems to be out of position....

"MARCY"? WTF?!?!? :thumbdown:

No pass rush, no QB pressure at all. I'm glad they are at least making effort at curtailing the run, but it sure seems to be more bad coaching than bad personnel. Edwards was horrible last year, and it appears he is on the same course to replicate it this year.

We haven't had a pass rush since Schoebel retired. A pass rush can do wonders.

Missing Merriman, Williams and Kelsay didn't help against the Giants. But Edwards is in WAY over his head, has been since he took over as DC, and Gailey's misguided sense of loyalty towards him is troubling.

We have NO bona fide pass rusher. So I would take issue with your first sentence. This is a passing league and if your defense can't dial up some legitimate pressure on an opposing QB, you are eventually going to pay the price. We can't so we do. Stats prove it.

Besides, I don't have any confidence that Edwards would effectively use the aforementioned bona fide pass rusher, so it's a moot point.

We don't have an elite defensive end you have to plan for. San Francisco has two of the top 3 pass rushers statistically right now, Justin Smith and Ray McDonald.

Dareus is on his way. He's #9 on this list, but Dwan Edwards is not on this list. We need 2 to play.

1 Justin Smith SF

2 Antonio D. Smith HST

3 Ray McDonald SF

4 Darnell Dockett ARZ

5 Randy Starks MIA

6 Calais Campbell ARZ

7 Wallace Gilberry KC

8 Kendall Langford MIA

9 Marcell Dareus BUF

10 Brett Keisel PIT

11 Vonnie Holliday ARZ

12 Tommie Harris SD

13 Sean Lissemore DAL

14 J.J. Watt HST

15 Cameron Heyward PIT

Hmmm… three rookies in the top 15.

1 Justin Smith SF

2 Antonio D. Smith HST

3 Ray McDonald SF

4 Darnell Dockett ARZ

5 Randy Starks MIA

6 Calais Campbell ARZ

7 Wallace Gilberry KC

8 Kendall Langford MIA

9 Marcell Dareus BUF

10 Brett Keisel PIT

11 Vonnie Holliday ARZ

12 Tommie Harris SD

13 Sean Lissemore DAL

14 J.J. Watt HST

15 Cameron Heyward PIT

It'd help but we are all kinds of unimpressive at OLB and that is the premier pass rush in this D