The Call

Simon

No we wouldn't have. Had that been completed for a TD the Giants still would have had 4 minutes, 2 time outs and the 2 minute warning to score a TD and tie the game.

I dunno, what's the smarter move? Run clock and kick a FG or score a TD with 4 minutes left. I'm thinking most coaches are running the clock and kicking the FG, and escaping NY with a W on a day when the team didn't play really well.

Dallas just tried to do the same thing against New England just a few minutes ago. One of the guys on here said he was yelling WTF WTF after he saw us pass with 4 minutes to go and I just yelled WTF WTF after Romo handed the ball off 3 times, not trying to pick up first downs and not going for the juggler. Dallas had 3:46 to kill and they decided to play Dick Jauron ball and lost. They wasted about 1 minute off the clock; you call that smart. Gailey is a hell of a coach and he put this team in position to win. Fitz is human and made a few mistakes, the biggest costing us dearly at the end of the game. That's how sports go, can't expect perfection all the time. I would be more ticked if we did what Dallas did and played not to lose instead of playing to win. We gave it our best shot and fell short. I would much rather play for a guy like Gailey than play for a scared coach like Jason Garret.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dallas just tried to do the same thing against New England just a few minutes ago. One of the guys on here said he was yelling WTF WTF after he saw us pass with 4 minutes to go and I just yelled WTF WTF after Romo handed the ball off 3 times, not trying to pick up first downs and not going for the juggler. Dallas had 3:46 to kill and they decided to play Dick Jauron ball and lost. They wasted about 1 minute off the clock; you call that smart. Gailey is a hell of a coach and he put this team in position to win. Fitz is human and made a few mistakes, the biggest costing us dearly at the end of the game. That's how sports go, can't expect perfection all the time. I would be more ticked if we did what Dallas did and played not to lose instead of playing to win. We gave it our best shot and fell short. I would much rather play for a guy like Gailey than play for a scared coach like Jason Garret.

Did you happen to notice the field position?

You run the ball once. Maybe it get nothing, maybe it gets you a few yards and the play book opens up some more with TICK TOCK moving along!

What do I know...I called the run before the pass, so I will stay with my gut instinct...it was a bad call.

I wouldn't have complained either way. What you can say in hindsight is that this was a good call that was executed poorly. A well designed run could have been effective. The thing that's must important (especially for a team that's not physically dominating a matchup) is to keep the playbook open and continue to work towards the endzone.

You run the ball once. Maybe it get nothing, maybe it gets you a few yards and the play book opens up some more with TICK TOCK moving along!

What do I know...I called the run before the pass, so I will stay with my gut instinct...it was a bad call.

Agreed!

I love Chans and Fitz gunslinger approach, it's a breath of fresh air compared to dead dick. There are just times when that approach needs to put away and the proper play calling needs to take place, today for about 3 plays was one of those times.

Again given the same scenario I don't know if any other coach in the league would have called the same play. If there was ever a time to be conservative, it was then!

I remember sort of hoping we'd run because I could see Fitz throwing a pick. But then I remembered we were running the ball horribly (after the 80 yard run), and that a FG wouldn't be enough to win with our D. I then determined I'd rather see us attack and get that score to put it on their O to score a TD (which they weren't able to do). So, the call was a fade into the endzone to a wide open Stevie. It's all Fitz here. Fitz, just like any other NFL QB, needs to, and SHOULD make that pass 100% of the time. ...You'd think he had learned after the first one (obviously, Gailey thought he had).

Edited by BringBackFlutie

Bills fans must have been smoking crack, high or had to many colds one today. This play has nothing to do with arm strength or "fitz arm strength". Jeez it was like a 25 yard pass. Any QB in the NFL has the arm strength to make that throw. Fitz just didn't put enough touch on either of those throws. He could have easily overthrow those passes which would make them incomplete (not a bad thing). The only thing you DON'T want to do is underthrow and give postion to the CB. Was the weather/wind a factor that messed with Fitz...i dunno (each were at opposite ends of the field)...no excuse anyways...falls on Fitz...period...

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Stevie had two steps and a well-thrown ball is a TD.

Like the call or not, the second guessing only comes into play when the execution fails.

If that ball is well-thrown, we're celebrating and lauding Gailey for the aggressiveness.

Would Jauron ever allow his OC to make a call like that?

I disagree completely. You play the odds, you have first down at the 25 with 4 minutes left to play and they have two times out left. We've been running the ball effectively throughout most of the game, and you play for a first down. If the Bills get a first down in three plays, and we kick a field goal, at best they get he ball back around their 20 with about a minute left with no timouts. If we don't get the first down and kick a field goal, they get it back with about 2 minutes left and a couple time outs,and now the onus is on them to drive and score points.

Even if we score,they would of had 4 minutes left to tie the game.

Im not one to typically second guess, but we definitely had the wrong strategy at the end of the game.

I disagree completely. You play the odds, you have first down at the 25 with 4 minutes left to play and they have two times out left. We've been running the ball effectively throughout most of the game, and you play for a first down. If the Bills get a first down in three plays, and we kick a field goal, at best they get he ball back around their 20 with about a minute left with no timouts. If we don't get the first down and kick a field goal, they get it back with about 2 minutes left and a couple time outs,and now the onus is on them to drive and score points.

Im not one to typically second guess, but we definitely had the wrong strategy at the end of the game.

:thumbdown:

Again, take the 80 yard run away and Freddie ran 15 times for 41 yards. That's 2.7 YPC. I wouldn't exactly call that effective.

If Gailey calls 3 runs in a row and settles for the FG everyone b*tches.

It's very simple, Gailey called a play that would have been a TD but Fitz threw a haaarrible ball.

Is there something wrong with Gailey being aggressive? He is showing confidence in Fitz and this team. I like it and I bet the team is behind Gailey 100% for making that call.

This is Dick Jauron football not Chan Gailey football in 2011. The facts are with the running game we really didn't do anywthing with the exception of 2 plays. One with Jackson for 80 yards and one with Brad Smith out of the wild cat. Our running game wasn't doing squat all game in context of those exceptions ESPECIALLY IN THE SECOND HALF.

A passing play on first down was the correct call even in hindsight when it failed. We had our #1 receiver 1 on 1 with the CB only a few yards off and he beat at that point. YOU TAKE A SHOT AT A TOUCHDOWN EVERY SINGLE TIME.

If Gailey calls 3 runs in a row and settles for the FG everyone b*tches.

It's very simple, Gailey called a play that would have been a TD but Fitz threw a haaarrible ball.

Is there something wrong with Gailey being aggressive? He is showing confidence in Fitz and this team. I like it and I bet the team is behind Gailey 100% for making that call.

AMEN. But I don't think you will be going to bed when your wife wants to tonight. :w00t:

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I think the risk did outweigh the reward at that point; that's why I didn't care for that option.

That route is a potential turnover and the risk of that was far greater than the reward of a quick TD.

If that's the case, than let's be honest enough to state that Fitz is not the QB to take this team to the next level. In the NFL you can't be afraid to have your QB throw to an open WR because of the risk that your QB can't make a 30 yard throw.

If that's the case, than let's be honest enough to state that Fitz is not the QB to take this team to the next level. In the NFL you can't be afraid to have your QB throw to an open WR because of the risk that your QB can't make a 30 yard throw.

Great point KT. If Gailey is going down he is going down with Fitz and all of his limitations. Fitz has to be better and I think he knows that.

This is Dick Jauron football not Chan Gailey football in 2011. The facts are with the running game we really didn't do anywthing with the exception of 2 plays. One with Jackson for 80 yards and one with Brad Smith out of the wild cat. Our running game wasn't doing squat all game in context of those exceptions ESPECIALLY IN THE SECOND HALF.

A passing play on first down was the correct call even in hindsight when it failed. We had our #1 receiver 1 on 1 with the CB only a few yards off and he beat at that point. YOU TAKE A SHOT AT A TOUCHDOWN EVERY SINGLE TIME.

AMEN. But I don't think you will be going to bed when your wife wants to tonight. :w00t:

You better check your facts then! 6 of Freddys other 15 carries went for 4 or more yards. So yes I do believe they should have tried to run the clock and get a first down and then get the FG to win the game. To think that passing there was not the right call especially on first down, that was not the time to play gunslinger football. Given the circumstances, time left, field position, score, and how awful the defense was playing, running time off the clock would have been the right decision. I like Chan and Fitz but the hard truth is they both brain farted there, period.

Edited by FreakPop

I don't know if he is or isn't; I'm leaning towards him being a great stopgap and the best backup in the NFL.

But my issue wasn't necessarily with it being Fitz not being able to make that throw; more that I think there were a lot of other and better ways for the Bills to put points on the board and deny the Giants time to get those points back. Run that slant to Stevie against teh cover 1 the Giants were showing, keep your spread personnel on the field and throw the dig at David Nelson and let him do what he keeps doing at big moments, play action to Fred and let CJ run that circle route that no LB can cover; all those calls likely end up 2nd/short with the clock running and a pile of options to play with.

We just didn't need to try and win the game on that play.

I don't know if he is or isn't; I'm leaning towards him being a great stopgap and the best backup in the NFL.

But my issue wasn't necessarily with it being Fitz not being able to make that throw; more that I think there were a lot of other and better ways for the Bills to put points on the board and deny the Giants time to get those points back. Run that slant to Stevie against teh cover 1 the Giants were showing, keep your spread personnel on the field and throw the dig at David Nelson and let him do what he keeps doing at big moments, play action to Fred and let CJ run that circle route that no LB can cover; all those calls likely end up 2nd/short with the clock running and a pile of options to play with.

We just didn't need to try and win the game on that play.

yep, i'm with you Simon. wrong time to call that play.