Marcell Dareus vs. AJ Green

Juror#8

Not to be too revisionist here, but does anyone wish (even a teeny weeny bit) that we would have drafted AJ Green? I mean, at a minimum, wouldn't it be a wash - in that he would have had an equal offensive impact as Mr. Dareus has had defensively?

NO

With that said, how often do truly stud, impactful, game-changing Wide Receivers surface? Once every 3-4 years I'd guess. What about DTs, similarly described? Once a year, me thinks.

That's what Lee Evans was supposed to be.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted us to draft Dareus although I liked Von Miller too. I'm glad we drafted Dareus and everything he's done has reinforced that feeling.

But AJ Green is one of the best wideouts to come out in several years.

Whenever you have the 3rd pick in the draft, it's inevitable that you're gonna pass over some great football players. It's certainly no slam dunk that the Bills made the right decision.

What if Dareus ends up playing in 4 Pro Bowls while Green ends up in the Hall of Fame? What if Patrick Peterson ends up in the Hall of Fame?

It's a valid question for those who like discussing these things.

Based on how Buddy finds star WRs, it seems like we should be reconsidering the Michael Jasper pick.

In a way, you're contradicting your own point in that if Nix felt there was a receiver worth that pick, he would have taken him.

FWIW, Gailey apparently loved AJ Green.

And how could he not? Based on a small sampling of his play and a bunch of scouting reports, this guy is a can't miss, perennial All-Pro receiver. He's been more than impressive.

Under no circumstances would I ever prefer A.J. Green to Marcell Dareus.

Hopefully in hindsight, we can all say the same thing.

That's what Lee Evans was supposed to be.

Lee Evans was not anywhere near as highly regarded as is AJ Green. That's like comparing Marshawn Lynch to Adrian Peterson. Green was drafted 4th overall.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

FWIW, Gailey apparently loved AJ Green.

Is there anyone who doesn't? The guy is obviously a stud (of course I've known this for a while - I watched almost every college game he played in. :)) That being said, there is no way you can justify picking a WR over a blue chip defensive lineman, considering the Bills needs. Now, if you already have Warren Sapp and William Perry on your roster, then yea, I can at least understand if you draft for need. But if you have any need whatsoever at DL (even if it is just a need for depth), take the lineman. Every day of the week and twice on days that end in Y.

Edited by SouthGeorgiaBillsFan

I'm guessing you meant prodigious, but I really like the idea of a guy with prodigal talents. "If you want to blow through some money, Megatron's your guy!" Come to think of it, Antoine Walker and MC Hammer had some prodigal talents.

I would've been more or less fine with AJ Green because I viewed him as a blue-chip stud, and on a team that (I thought) was devoid of talent, you can always use a stud at any position. Plus, even with Lee Evans in the fold, I thought we could've used another outside receiver. So Green would've been a fine pick.

BUT!

Dareus was such a much better pick. A WR can be a crucial piece of success, but he's not a conditional piece - meaning he can't help the team without the O-line & QB. (Look at Steve Smith last year vs. this year.) DE/DTs like Dareus are foundational pieces. I believe that you start with the foundation, then add the skill pieces on top of it (which is why I didn't like the Spiller pick or Brad Smith signing). And on top of that, Dareus perfectly fit our biggest need - run defense - and somewhat fit another strong need in interior pass rushing. Dareus all the way, no hesitation. Only player I would have to maybe move ahead of him on my retroactive board would be Cam Newton.

Trade up to be 1-4? No.

AJ Green is awesome, no doubt, but I think our needs on defense were too glaring to pass a talent like Dareus.

and re: outrunning the cover-two, tillman was supposed to jam/redirect johnson at the line and didn't, giving him a free release (not to take anything away from johnson's prodigal talents)

I watched that play again; you're absolutely right. :beer: It was a free release which gave him a full head of steam to beat the coverage.

Incidentally, a friend of mine reminded me that Randy Moss made a career of destroying cover-twos, free-release notwithstanding.

What if Dareus ends up playing in 4 Pro Bowls while Green ends up in the Hall of Fame? What if Patrick Peterson ends up in the Hall of Fame?

It's a valid question for those who like discussing these things.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

And, I happen to agree with everything else you wrote as well (despite the truncated quote).

I would still take Dareus. Players like Dareus don't fall into your lap very often; the Bills blew their chance passing on Ngata for Whitner. I felt Dareus should have probably went 1st overall. Without question, Denver should have taken him at #2. The Bills lucked out and made the right call

Marcell Dareus has tremedous athleticism for a man his size. Human beings that big and that athletic do not come around very often. When you have a chance to get a player of Dareus' pedigree, you don't hesitate. He is a proven big game performer (MVP of Bama's National Championship game) and has the attitude you look for. He is a hard worker which is a very underrated attribute in todays NFL. He recorded the hardest hit ever on ESPN's Sports Science show.

We haven't had a punishing d-linemen like Dareus since the Bruce Smith days.

Dareus is only going to get better as the weather turns. Dominant defensive linemen like him are much more valuable when the weather turns to WNY's winter.

WR's are a dime a dozen. We have put up great offensive numbers with a bunch of undrafted players. Ask any pro-personnel and they will tell you that D-Line is the lightest position each year in the draft. Many teams struggle just to bring in enough DL guys into camp to form a scout team.

Marcell's impact is not as easily quantifiable as a wide receivers or a running back. I can tell this, no team is running well inside on us as they have in the past and at least two of the teams interceptions have been because of pressure from Marcell. His job primarily in this defense is to get pressure to disrupt plays and plug running lanes so the LB's a SS's can clean up. Judging on who our top tacklers are this season I would say Marcell was well worth the pick.

I wanted Peterson or green over dareus. At this very early stage in their careers id rank their performance green, dareus, Peterson.

My ideal would have been Peterson at 3 then trade up 5 spots to bottom of rd1 and get wilkerson. I'd take That combo over dareus and Williams in a heart beat.

On a yardage basis one cannot make the argument our defense is better. But it is creating more turnovers, partly due to pressure up front, which Dareus gets some credit for. I think his play will only get better (for one needs to stop over pursuing and taking himself out of plays) and if healthy he'll be a productive starter for a decade with maybe a couple pro bowl appearances. Which makes him a good pick. But better than green or Peterson? Only time will tell.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack