Marcell Dareus vs. AJ Green

Juror#8

Come on, you know Buddy's rule is he doesn't trade down. How's that working for him? I've said from the very beginning that Nix was a joke and it's hard to argue anything but at this point. :bag:

Yea, (if you believe the insiders) his bull-headed insistence of status quo on draft day is not helping this team acquire talent.

More than anything, this team NEEDS an infusion of talent. Despite the difference in draft selection, there would have been no drop off between Kerrigan on this team as compared to Dareus.

Also, we could have grabbed a frachise-level QB in the process. How can a GM not entertain that possibility (assuming his talent evaluators recognized the potential that these folks had)? I hope that I'm wrong and that he entertained these scenarios.

For him not to have is nothing less than dereliction of his duties.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny enough I'm not saying that we should have done anything. I'm in as being a Dareus supporter.

I'm interested to know what people think the impact would have been if we had of gone a different direction.

And this is as important a conversation for the upcoming draft as it is an interesting conversation in retrospect.

Fewer people now are saying that "you don't take a WR that high," than at draft time. When an offense is predicated on short routes, the receivers can't get off a jam, and there is absolutely no deep threat, a big-value WR begins to sound slightly more reasonable.

Our defense has been bad ALL year. We were able to maintain by scoring more points than the bad defense gave up. The offense became bad when teams realized that we had 0 talent at wideout. The question is, if the defense is bad ANYWAY, Dareus or no Dareus, why not just go "no-Dareus," add Green, and at least keep out-scoring teams?

You may not like it, but it is a valid consideration.

I am not saying that we don't need a receiver...I am saying that before the draft we needed a DT/DE, LB's, WR, QB...We only had 1 pick. Our run defense was one of the worst run defenses I have ever seen last year. While it hasn't been great, it has been MUCH better than last year. Dareus has made a huge impact, despite losing some key players, whether you want to acknowledge that or not.

Your logic is just simply off. To ignore our biggest need, when a rare player like Dareus is available and say "why bother improving the last ranked run defense" is just ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I support you in wanting a good receiver. It is a huge need for the Bills NOW. Don't forget though, during the draft we had Evans, Easley, and Jones on top of Stevie Jackson.

The most important thing here....this is meaningless hindsight...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I am not saying that we don't need a receiver...I am saying that before the draft we needed a DT/DE, LB's, WR, QB...We only had 1 pick. Our run defense was one of the worst run defenses I have ever seen last year. While it hasn't been great, it has been MUCH better than last year. Dareus has made a huge impact, despite losing some key players, whether you want to acknowledge that or not.

Your logic is just simply off. To ignore our biggest need, when a rare player like Dareus is available and say "why bother improving the last ranked run defense" is just ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I support you in wanting a good receiver. It is a huge need for the Bills NOW. Don't forget though, during the draft we had Evans, Easley, and Jones on top of Stevie Jackson.

:thumbsup: 100%

Floyd and Jeffery are both big and slow. Jeffery came into camp this year fat and out of shape and Floyd has had personal issues since day one at ND. Broyles is a nice possession type WR who is small and coming off of a torn ACL. Blackmon is a stud but he'll be long gone by the time the Bills pick.

The pick should be an edge rusher. It doesn't matter if it's a 4-3 DE or and 3-4 OLB. The guy the Bills draft needs to provide a a rush off the edge and be stout at the POA. Upshaw from Bama does both, especially if the Bills want to stick to the 3-4. He is an instant impact player, not in the mold of Miller, but he stronger against the run as well as the pass.

Another guy that stands out to me is Melvin Ingram from South Carolina. He plays inside and outside on the DL and I'm not sure that he can play 3-4 OLB but he is going to make some team very happy on draft day.

I'm very vocally in the draft RG3 camp. But I would love getting a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB if no franchise level QB is available.

Bingo. We have a winner. If the defense is as soft as a jelly doughnut up the middle, the team will be losing too many games and the defense getting trucked by the opposition's running games for anyone to notice that the 1st round X is doing a little bit better on his releases and running his decoy routes than the UDFA would have.

I'm very vocally in the draft RG3 camp. But I would love getting a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB if no franchise level QB is available.

I like RG3. Can't believe Texas let that guy slip through their hands. But if the Bills go QB, go get Barkley. Do everything that you can to get him. Plays in a pro style offense at USC and is a great decision maker. He is pin point accurate, has a strong arm and is a great leader. He's dealt with a ton of adversity at USC and has a an edge to him which I love.......BUT WAIT, HE"S FROM CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

1. The run defense has been better but it still sucks.

2. There is no push on the inside.

3. If you read my posts, I have said on no less than two occassions that injuries have affected Dareus and that he has been amazing considering the injuries surrounding him.

4. My logic is sound. It's o.k. to opine and wonder aloud if other options would be better. This is especially so considering that, if the season continues on the current trend, we'll be drafting at the top of the draft again for need so hindsight can be particularly helpful.

5. Don't get me wrong, I support you in saying that Dareus was the best choice. Again, DAREUS WAS THE BEST CHOICE. That doesn't make the dialog less interesting or other perspectives less valuable.

6. We desperately need WR help.

7. Superchargers are better.

See point #4 above.

I like RG3. Can't believe Texas let that guy slip through their hands. But if the Bills go QB, go get Barkley. Do everything that you can to get him. Plays in a pro style offense at USC and is a great decision maker. He is pin point accurate, has a strong arm and is a great leader. He's dealt with a ton of adversity at USC and has a an edge to him which I love.......BUT WAIT, HE"S FROM CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

Hopefully, Barkley is of the same breed of Californian as Rodgers. :thumbsup: