We melt like ice

dayman

no kidding, it's a joke really. maybe the worst 4th quarter i've seen offensively and defensively in years. and the homer crowd is SERIOUSLY pumping their chest and saying "i told you so"? are you serious? it's as if gailey's gameplan was "let the eagles win" and the players almost executed it to perfection. it's an absolute shock we won that game. sure i'm excited we're 4-1, but i barely take this team seriously.

You're a happy fella for sure. Four and one and people are b$tching? There's nothing wrong with being analytical, but the only thing that counts is the final score. I could say that the Bills were the better team in Superbowl XXV, but the reality was they lost. The outcome is all that counts.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look around the league and tell me who the good teams are this year (as BlueFire said). Yes, the Bills have definite weaknesses. But so does every single other team.

mmm, I don't know....the Packers look pretty solid.

Nothing wrong with it, but there is something wrong if the team is sitting at 4-1, every team in the league has some major weaknesses, and your take on the situation is that this is not a good football team. They are, in fact, in the upper tier of the NFL so far this year. I don't see how anyone can even argue against that.

Thats not my take at all on the situation.Not sure where you came up with that.

mmm, I don't know....the Packers look pretty solid.

Yep. But I wasn't about to argue that the Bills are the best team in the league, or that they're a great team like the Packers. They are a good team, though. That's the point - you've got the Packers and maybe the Saints who are a cut above, and a whole slew of teams with comparable talent and strengths and weaknesses. If you look at that, I think the only reasonable way to identify the good teams is to see who's winning.

Wait. The Bills won right? But they didn't win in a PROPER FASHION? Is that what I'm getting here? Come on how fast we get spoiled!

There's nothing wrong with celebrating, but also realizing we have areas to work on, IMO.

We won, awesome... Now let's work on our weaknesses so we can get more wins. :)

You're a happy fella for sure. Four and one and people are b$tching? There's nothing wrong with being analytical, but the only thing that counts is the final score. I could say that the Bills were the better team in Superbowl XXV, but the reality was they lost. The outcome is all that counts.

IF I may ask, Mr. Dopeland, how do you think that the outcome is achieved?

You bring up Super Bowl 25 and the Bills loss. If you remember the Bills of that time frame, they were a high-flying, no-huddle, K-gun, fast-paced, 3 WR/ 1 back offense that predicated itself on pouring on the points, then unleashing the pass rush on the opposing QB.

Nobody could stop them. That is, until they faced the Parcells/ Belicheck Giants 'D'. With 2 down lineman and something like 5-6 DB's, our passing game was having a rough go of it. Now, because our IDENTITY for the whole season was 3 WR, fast break, no huddle...when the other team flooded the field with DB's we didn't adjust. We didn't lose our identity from the season. Heck, look at Thurman's stats for that game. When we were smart and used Thurman, he tore threw the Giants D because there were so many DB's. Why didn't we run more in that game?

I would argue that because the Bills were so stubborn in their refusal to abandon the pass when it wasn't working was what put them in a situation of having to kick the game winning field goal.

The outcome was determined by the identity the team had established throughout the season.

Flash forward to today, and last week, and IMO we are not yet good enough to play to keep a lead. My only concern is that if that bunker mentality becomes our identity throughout the season, then when we encounter tougher challenges down the road (and they will come), that we will lapse into a false confidence of playing to protect a lead, and that we will lose.

I've always hated the mentality of being conservative because you have a lead. Today's NFL is too explosive, too dynamic to sit back.

Thats not my take at all on the situation.Not sure where you came up with that.

Sorry, I thought saying "your" there might be confusing, should've changed it. That was meant as a criticism of the OP's post, not yours - since you were saying there wasn't anything wrong with his post I was pointing out something I thought was wrong. But I didn't mean to attribute his views to you.

Yep. But I wasn't about to argue that the Bills are the best team in the league, or that they're a great team like the Packers. They are a good team, though. That's the point - you've got the Packers and maybe the Saints who are a cut above, and a whole slew of teams with comparable talent and strengths and weaknesses. If you look at that, I think the only reasonable way to identify the good teams is to see who's winning.

Which is more to my point that maybe there are 1 or 2 teams like the Pack who can sit back and play conservative with a lead.

For the rest of the league, no lead is safe.

Which is more to my point that maybe there are 1 or 2 teams like the Pack who can sit back and play conservative with a lead.

For the rest of the league, no lead is safe.

Oh I agree with you, the Bills need to learn how to close out a game. I was actually trying to argue a pretty narrow point, that if you want to have a debate about a team's strengths and weaknesses, it might be better not to say that a 4-1 team isn't good. Either that, or say that there are 1 or 2 good teams in the league at most. But steer clear of the sky is falling rhetoric (not that you were saying anything like that - that's to the OP and especially deep2evans).

Remeber we played a top 5 offense today, definitely the most explosive in the NFL. This defense gave us a chance to win today with 5 turnovers.

Exactly. Going into this game everyone was saying, "We're gonna lose because we can't stop Vick."

So, the Bills win, holding Vick to 24 points, never trailing, and people say, "This win is tainted because we didn't stop Vick."

The Bills are far from perfect, and the D needs work, but really?

There's nothing wrong with celebrating, but also realizing we have areas to work on, IMO.

We won, awesome... Now let's work on our weaknesses so we can get more wins. :)

Beat the living life outa the Jets 2x. Thats all I care about.

But really top of the AFC east after game 5? Can we not just relax and enjoy the moment?

Exactly. Going into this game everyone was saying, "We're gonna lose because we can't stop Vick."

So, the Bills win, holding Vick to 24 points, never trailing, and people say, "This win is tainted because we didn't stop Vick."

The Bills are far from perfect, and the D needs work, but really?

yep! i hear ya! some people are just never satisfied, always find a negative in a positive experience. WTF!

For about three quarters our offense played very well IMO.

My biggest criticism of the team today was play-calling in the 4th quarter. Why so many screen passes when Philly CLEARLY was aware and blowing them up? True that we were burning them with it early on, but they made the adjustment. We didn't. Second to that was the lack of any play-action whatsoever. I love that we were feeding Freddy, but in the 4th they were stacking the box against our bunched formation, leaving nowhere for Freddy to run. How about some play action passes to keep the safety's from cheating up?

Our Defense clearly has some work to do. They repeatedly gave up the big play, especially on 3rd down. You got to love all the turnovers, but how about forcing a punt once in a while? I'm not sure if it's scheme or (lack of) talent, but I'm thinking it's more scheme. It seemed that we often were in poor position to stop their big plays. If this was the first week we allowed 450+ yards, I would say today was ALL Vick, but 4 out of 5 is a big concern.

Finally, you have to credit Vick...the guy was a big play machine today. Although he threw 4 picks, 2 of them were just bad bounces for them. Other than that, he was the reason they were still in the game to the end.

Beat the living life outa the Jets 2x. Thats all I care about.

But really top of the AFC east after game 5? Can we not just relax and enjoy the moment?

Relaxing is how you get lazy and lose! Though, that's more for players than fans. :D

Either way... HIGH FIVE!

This Bills team won. I am happy about that. But turnovers or no turnovers, our defense is simply trash. The offense played not to lose in the second half and the defense played to lose. We still pulled it out, but seriously we are not a good football team right now. We have got to find a way to stop someone at some point or we won't make the playoffs. I know people will probably pour in here and talk about how I'm overly negative and as a Bills fan should be happy we aren't 0-5 but you guys can save your finger strength. I am happy. That said...this defense is utter trash and I was honestly confused about the play calling down the line. How many screens were we going to throw?

Anyway, just had to vent. We tried to give it away but failed. Thank God for that offsides b/c even w/ no time outs that Eagles team may have gotten a TD there. Cinci did came back on us last week, Eagles did the same this week they just shot themselves in the foot.

Please just stop being a Bills fan, forever. Thanks.