Some Stats I Like

Astrobot

Fitz is the youngest AFC QB with a 85 Rating or higher. source

Fitz's 9 TD and 3 INT is the best ratio in the AFC. source

Fitz is tied for the AFC lead for being the least sacked. source

In the AFC, only BUF has dual RB's with rushing averages over 6 ypc (minimum 12 rushes).

Fred has the most TD's in the AFC (four). source

Fred is tied with McFadden for the most 20+ runs in the AFC (six) source

Fred has the most yards without a fumble in the AFC. source

Buffalo is the only team in the AFC with two WR's in the top 10 in receptions (Johnson/Nelson)and three in the top 20 (Jones). NYJ has 1 in the top 24. source

Those Bills receivers are age 25, 24, and 23.

The 3 top NE WR's are 30, 32, and 33-----5, 8, and 10 years older.

Nick Barnett leads all 3-4 ILB's in tackles. He's 30. (#2= Takeo Spikes at age 34, #3=Ray Lewis at 36) source

Only one team in the NFL has 3 defensive backs with at least 24 tackles--Buffalo. Wilson/Byrd are both in the top 4 in the NFL, and Bryan Scott #22. Florence, Scott, McKelvin's and Wilson's combined 8 INTs tie for the lead in the NFL (GreenBay). source

Edited by Astrobot

With the exception of the DB tackles stat, all the other numbers you cite are reason for optimism. I see no reason why the trend won't continue, assuming we stay relatively healthy. Good stuff here, Astro.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I love all those stats.

The one about the running backs and Spiller is a bit misleading. Spiller IMO is not doing the job when needed.

I disagree, and I think the given stat backs me up. How can Spiller not be doing his job when his rushing avg. is over 6 ypc? Now if you said that Fred is doing the job BETTER (which results in him getting the majority of carries), I would agree, but to say Spiller is not doing his job? Every run can't be a 50 yard romp to the endzone...

...I know, I know, he doesn't have any 50 yard romps to the endzone. But that's not the point.

The one about the running backs and Spiller is a bit misleading. Spiller IMO is not doing the job when needed.

Though he had limited duty v. the Bengals, CJ hardly did any dancing around line and did a better job of hitting the holes square. He picked up good yards after contact and looked more powerful. I'm looking forward to seeing our running game do some pounding and slicing on Sunday. I think both backs will have a good day.

On the flip side the lack of run defense remains perplexing. The 3-4 is supposed to be a defense that is designed to shut down the run. Barnett has been an upgrade over Poz but the remaining LB's are still suspect. The lack of sacks is the next area of concern.

glad to see you guys are seeing positives with Spiller. It could be me who still has the sour taste in his mouth from him running the ball in the fourth quarter and not following Jacksons lead for the easy first down.

Also, this stat is very off. He has only had 13 carries this year and in his last 2 games he has carried the ball 4 times for a total of 15 yards. Also against the Chief he avergaged 3.2 ypc on 5 attempts. It was the Oakland game that inflated his stats with 63 yards on 4 attempts.

so 3 games of 3.2, 4 and 3 YPC is average.

I respect everyones opinion. SO keep on staying positive!

Cheers

Edited by curitiba

Re CJ, keep in mind he had a couple carries for clutch 3rd down conversions against Cinci. Those may not jump off the stat sheet. I am not sold on him yet, but there are glimmers of hope.

Actually, it may have been one run and one catch on 3rd down . . .

With the exception of the DB tackles stat, all the other numbers you site are reason for optimism. I see no reason why the trend won't continue, assuming we stay relatively healthy. Good stuff here, Astro.

GO BILLS!!!

I am right with you K-9. Having DB with high tackle numbers means one of three things to me:

1. The front 7 arenot doing their jobs and the DBs must tackle after a significant run. (need to look at how many yeards past the line of scrimmage the tackles are to clarify)

2. Too many passes are being completed and the DBs are nt breaking up enough (need to look at the percentage completed against the Bills to understand better. In addition if the length of the pass in total tards in under 5-7 yards then the DBs are doing the jb of holding receivers in YAC (tards after catch)

3. The DB's are making quick reads and getting up and stopping plays quickly. This would be good and you need more stats to see if it is true.

Overall, I'd like to see DBs with pass break-ups and not tackles. I do like all the other stats.

Would you rather lead the league in interceptions or sacks? Obviously both would be awesome, but if you had to choose?

I can see pros and cons for each, but I'll take leading the league in INTs. An interception is a turnover. A sack may provide a turnover and a loss of yards, but the opposition, most of the time, will retain possession.

I'm ok with a lack of sacks...what I'm not ok with is the lack of consistent pressure like the Bengals provided last Sunday.

On the flip side the lack of run defense remains perplexing. The 3-4 is supposed to be a defense that is designed to shut down the run. Barnett has been an upgrade over Poz but the remaining LB's are still suspect. The lack of sacks is the next area of concern.

The Premium Stats at http://www.ProFootballFocus.com (one of my favorite perks as DraftTek Analyst) shows overall NFL Ratings for OLB's. The lower the number, the better. Four OLB's are all tied for First Place with a 0.0 rating: Westerman, Barwin, Hali, and Sheffield. Kelsay is in a four-way tie for Second Place with a 39.6 rating with Parys Haralson, Aldon Smith, and Jason Taylor.

Of the 49 OLB's in a 3-4 scheme:

Kelsay is the 6th best OLB in pass defense, 26th in run defense.

Batten is the 29th best OLB in pass defense, 33rd in run defense.

Merriman is the 44th best OLB in pass defense, 41st in run defense.

Moats is the 23rd best OLB in pass defense, 20th in run defense. (with far fewer snaps)

I still think we'll be looking for OLB help early in the draft.

Edited by Astrobot