1400+ yards surrendered in the last 3 games

jester43

It's not an alarming stat if you compare it with what it happening in the league today, and of course we're not playing in a vacuum.

A bottom 5 defense is not alarming to you? It is to me. Especailly when they were supposed to be worlds better. Benson averaged over 6 YPC in the second half. Welker had 17 cahtces the week Before. Jason Campbell torched our D. Oaklands rookie WR (Name escapse me) has 195 YDS receiving this year. 150 of that came against the Bills.

They are still BAD. adn teh stats do not lie. We have no pass rush and our "Strong suit" DB's cant seem to cover people. The INT was all luck yesterday, it got booted in the air right to a DB who was behind on the coverage.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A bottom 5 defense is not alarming to you? It is to me. Especailly when they were supposed to be worlds better. Benson averaged over 6 YPC in the second half. Welker had 17 cahtces the week Before. Jason Campbell torched our D. Oaklands rookie WR (Name escapse me) has 195 YDS receiving this year. 150 of that came against the Bills.

They are still BAD. adn teh stats do not lie. We have no pass rush and our "Strong suit" DB's cant seem to cover people. The INT was all luck yesterday, it got booted in the air right to a DB who was behind on the coverage.

We're not in the bottom 5 in defense- where do you get that from?

Our defense is so bad we only gave up 23 points when they CLEARLY had a benefit when it came to field position the entire game, and our defense is approximately on par with other good teams like the Patriots, Packers, and Saints? I don't care how many yards we give up so long as we hold our opposition down in POINTS, which what really matters.

Just yesterday they had a spot on one of the pre-game shows talking about how QB's getting 400 yards a game is becoming the new "300 yard game" (something that used to be considered a huge feat, but now being looked at as just a good game)

Look around the league, defences are giving up huge yards everywhere. Didn't Vick just have 400 yards yesterday in a loos to a good defence playing injured?

Scoring and yardage is up this year, its not something isolated to just Buffalos bad defence. Teams are becoming more talented on offence, and instead of building defences to try and shut them down, they are just adding to the offence to try and win games by shoot outs

Just yesterday they had a spot on one of the pre-game shows talking about how QB's getting 400 yards a game is becoming the new "300 yard game" (something that used to be considered a huge feat, but now being looked at as just a good game)

Look around the league, defences are giving up huge yards everywhere. Didn't Vick just have 400 yards yesterday in a loos to a good defence playing injured?

Scoring and yardage is up this year, its not something isolated to just Buffalos bad defence. Teams are becoming more talented on offence, and instead of building defences to try and shut them down, they are just adding to the offence to try and win games by shoot outs

You make too much sense... it is much easier to let people post their 'ALARMING STATISTICS' in a vacuum and tell us all the sky is falling for our defense... :thumbdown:

This year is different because the Bills are 3-1 and atop the AFC East. But yes the defense does need to improve, and that starts with demoting/firing Edwards and promoting Wannstedt.

They probably could (and for all we know maybe already have) subtly make a transition like this without technically changing job titles, etc.

I will say that the issue to me with the defense yesterday (which is somewhat backed up by the comments that we have seen from Chan and some of the players) was that they underestimated the Bengals. I believe that this underestimation was an in-game mistake rather than a let-down after the big win over the Pats. It seemed that when they went into the second half up by 14, they expected the Bengals' offense to lay down and die. Rather, to their credit, not only did the Bengals come out in the 2nd half ready to play -- they came out poised and wisely figured out that their best bet was no to panic and stick with their running game. Some posters here are complaining that the Bills should have come out trying to blitz more in the second half. For anyone who watched the game, the Bengals took that option away from them by patiently sticking with their running game. Thus, even when they were just getting 3-4 yards per attempt, the Bengals found themselves in make-able 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4 type situations.

While the DL has improved and teams are having trouble running it up the gut, opponents are still having success taking it to the outside and getting way too many yards. One thing I noticed on one of Benson's longer runs in the 3rd quarter is that Merriman is something of a liability in the run defense. Too often he rushes toward the inside and fails to contain his outside gap responsibility -- which allows the runner to get to the outside for a big play. There were plenty of missed tackles especially on the Bengals' final two offensive series. I am not sure how much of that we can blame on coaching.

Our defense is so bad we only gave up 23 points when they CLEARLY had a benefit when it came to field position the entire game, and our defense is approximately on par with other good teams like the Patriots, Packers, and Saints? I don't care how many yards we give up so long as we hold our opposition down in POINTS, which what really matters.

i have argued that for the last few years when everyone was blaming the losses on the defence, even when the offence struggled to score 10-20 points a game. The Bills defences in the past (and this year) may be giving up tons of yards, but they were also keeping teams out of the endzone enough that a competent offence should be able to score enough to win the game. Yesterday they held the Bengals to 23 points, and the defence gave the offence 7 points. The Bills "high powered" offence struggled to put 13 points on the board against them. The defence played well enough to win a game that the offence couldn't hold up their end. If you want to win in todays NFL, your offence needs to atleast be able to score 20 points in a game

go ahead, jump all over my **** and insult me personally if you want. i would rather the pollyannas be right and i be wrong. but for the love of all things holy and good, how am i supposed to think this is suddenly a good team?

go ahead, and please be convincing. i want to <ahem> "billieve."

and before you start, we've already heard that the raiders and bengals are two of the best teams in the NFL, it's just that the rest of the world hasn't figured it out yet. i'm afraid you're going to have to do better than that.

We outscored 3 of the 4 teams we played so far, that's how we're different.

Andy Dalton scorched our D yesterday in the second half.

YPG - 405.0 (27th) 6th worst so I was off by 1. The more yard you give up, usualy means the more points a team is going to score. The Pack, Patriots and Saints offenses are leaps and bounds more talented and just plain better than this Bills offense.

If you are saying that the D is good, that fine by you, Yea they are better than last year, but you kind of have to be better than all time bad. That does not even come close to saying that they are good.

YPG - 405.0 (27th) 6th worst so I was off by 1. The more yard you give up, usualy means the more points a team is going to score. The Pack, Patriots and Saints offenses are leaps and bounds more talented and just plain better than this Bills offense.

If you are saying that the D is good, that fine by you, Yea they are better than last year, but you kind of have to be better than all time bad. That does not even come close to saying that they are good.

So its only YPG that determines a teams defence ranking? I guess Points allowed has no bearing (Bills are 11th giving up 24 pts/gm) and Takeaways (Bills are 1st in INTs, and I believe in the top 5 overall in takeaways)

So its only YPG that determines a teams defence ranking? I guess Points allowed has no bearing (Bills are 11th giving up 24 pts/gm) and Takeaways (Bills are 1st in INTs, and I believe in the top 5 overall in takeaways)

Actually 17th in PPG and a FG away from being 22nd. Yes 1st in INT's I will give you that.

um, the Bills are ranked 27th in the NFL in yards allowed. that puts them in the bottom 5.

they're 26th against the run and tied for 24th against the pass.

and if you want to put the Cincinnati game in perspective, the 23 points scored came against a Bengals team that ranked in a tie for 24th in points entering the contest.

as for what the Pats, Pack and Saints are doing, well, that's one thing. let's look at what the Bills next opponent, the Eagles are doing: they're averaging 434.8 yards a game. ... lots on Bills defense going into this one, no? (unless the refs blow it again.)

jw

Add: Bills are tied for 16th in points allowed.

Edited by john wawrow

go ahead, jump all over my **** and insult me personally if you want. i would rather the pollyannas be right and i be wrong. but for the love of all things holy and good, how am i supposed to think this is suddenly a good team?

go ahead, and please be convincing. i want to <ahem> "billieve."

and before you start, we've already heard that the raiders and bengals are two of the best teams in the NFL, it's just that the rest of the world hasn't figured it out yet. i'm afraid you're going to have to do better than that.

You asked how we are different than last year. This is how:

1) We are 3-1

2) We have a high scoring offense

3) Until yesterday we are much better against the run.

4) We are +7 in turnovers

Are we a "good" team? Define good. 3-1 is good. Being able to come from behind against tough teams is good. Are we a Super Bowl contender? No. Can we be better? Yes. Will we make the playoffs? Depends how this team responds to yesterday.

It was a matter of time before some team figured out how to defend our offense. Whether we continue to win games depends on if Chan can adjust the attack to counter what other teams will start doing to stop us.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Scorched our defense to the tune of 23 points... MAN, that was horrible!!! Come on now... you act as if he dropped TD bombs on us like Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers... hyperbole.

I love when someone poses a question and points out an alarming stat this is always one of the first responses. Reminds me of a 13 year old at high school dance.

I'm sorry, I should have said go root for the Patriots?

All true and yet, our defense is truly terrible. McKelvin plays a big part. He cannot make a play on the ball, even when he is in position. He MUST have deep help which in turn probably prevents us from blitzing.

Having said that, you must have guys in the box jumping around to confuse a rookie quarterback. Send seven once in a while. The Bills never do that. They are very poorly coached defensively. The last couple of plays to Brian Leonard were a real shame.

Why waste our time? You've already formed your opinion. The Bills suck. Why not go root for the Jets?

oh i root like a mental patient for the lat 40 years...while knowing they suck...

since i'm wrong, please explain why. bring me peace.

oh i root like a mental patient for the lat 40 years...while knowing they suck...

since i'm wrong, please explain why. bring me peace.

LOL If you've rooted for that long and haven't jumped ship yet then you know how it is. Gonna be a long, crazy season with a lot of ups and downs. Don't forget we are still young in this new coaching regime. I see improvements, let's hope we can keep on improving.

Scorched our defense to the tune of 23 points... MAN, that was horrible!!! Come on now... you act as if he dropped TD bombs on us like Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers... hyperbole.

Yes scorched. A below average rookie QB picked apart our D. No pass rush and No coverage. If he can do it what are the likes of Vick, Brady, Manning, Romo and Rivers going to do to us.

We play the 2nd toughest schedule in the league. Simply put, The D needs to be better.