Let's review the "vaunted" Bengals defense this season

Scrappy

Best way to chalk up Cinnci's D is comparing it the gaudy pass D numbers for the Bills the last year or so. The Bills only gave up x yards thru the air...but a gazzilion on the ground. Until Cinnci plays a GOOD offense (SEE: Bills, Buffalo; FitzMagic, Stevie, Freddy...) they cannot really be gauged.

I honestly think they are overhyped all around, so I am in the same boat as you.

:thumbsup:

It's dead to right obvious that the teams Cincy played suck on offense, so this concern that defense is so great is not warranted. It's not that Cincy doesn't have a good defense, it's more to the effect that everyone they have played can't score anyways. The Bills have played prolific on offense & the 3 teams we have done it against all had at least brushed or been in the playoffs recently. The 3 teams that Cincy played have all brushed or been near the top of the draft, a completely different caliber of opponent.

Our caliber of opponents have been much better & will be much better during the year than most teams, which makes our current level of success all that much more impressive.

If we're saying the Bengals' D isn't all that because they played against poor offenses, can we also say that it's dead to right obvious the Bills put up all their yards and points against equally crappy defenses?

I'm not saying I believe this entirely because I do think Chan/Fitz/Freddy are on fire, but it's worth noting.

Edited by HansLanda

Bengals first opponent - Cleveland Browns with the mighty Colt McCoy at QB & Hillis at RB, the Browns are currently 25th in passing yards & 26th in total yards on offense.

Bengals second opponent - Denver Broncos with Kyle Orton at the QB helm & Willis McGahee at RB averaging 2.9 YPC, they're currently 22nd in passing yards & 27th in total yards on offense.

Bengals third opponent - 49ers with Alex Smith at QB & Frank Gore averaging 2.5 YPC, they're currently 28th in passing yards & 32nd (Dead last) in total yards on offense.

So after adding all three of the Bengals' opponents passing / total yards together & dividing by 3, you get a league average of 25th in passing / 28th in total yards.

I'd say that based on the level of competition so far, the Bengals defense haven't played anyone worth mentioning to put them in any elite categories & have to play the number on scoring team in the league this week. It's hard for me to believe that Cincy scores more than their average amount of points (19) & the Bills score less than half their average (37.7), that would have to be a 50% increase for Cincy & a 50% decrease for the Bills to get close (not going to happen).

The Bottom line: Cincy is going to lose.

I agree 100% Why even make us play these guys?

yea 3 games, the Bungals played against teams with bad offense's

SF last in the NFL at 32nd- new HC

Denver at 27th- new HC

Cleveland at 26th-new HC

Buffalo is currently 3rd in the NFL on offense and leads the NFL in scoring... who would have thunk it :worthy:

Still, this Buffalo team has yet to face a top defense , NE is last in the NFL in defense and allowed Chad Henne to throw for 400+ yards. :lol:

Lets hope Chan can motivate his troops for this trap game

This is key, IMO. The Cinci-Cleveland game was just plain ugly as both teams stunk it up. Kind of like when the Bills/Browns played under Jauron. Cleveland's offense is all over the place as they try and adjust to the new system under Shurmer. I still have no idea how Marvin Lewis keeps his job. Certainly "any given Sunday" is always possible but we should win this game easily. Maybe not 41-3, but still win handily.

Cincy has one of the better D lines in the league. They beat the snot out of our OL in the 1st half of last years game.

I don't think we over look them but itll be no walk in the park. My bet is they hold us to less points than any team we have played so far (not really saying much though)

One could make an argument that those offensive rankings are low, in part, because of the Bengals defense.

I'm not necessarily saying that, but it could be said.

I thought the same thing....

Stolen from streetkings01 from late last night:

The Bengals have a great defense argument can now be put to rest

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has been talked about alot........but I decided to do the research since I was bored. Here are the net yards of the Bengals opponents against other teams.....

49ers week1 vs Sea - 209 net yds(124 passing, 85 rushing)

49ers week2 vs Dal - 206 net yds(132 passing, 74 rushing)

Broncos week1 vs Oak - 310 net yds(272 passing, 38 rushing)

Broncos week3 vs Ten - 231 net yds(172 passing, 59 rushing)

Browns week2 vs Ind - 303 net yds(197 passing, 106 rushing)

Browns week3 vs Mia - 280 net yds(210 passing, 70 rushing)

Now here are the stats of the Bengals vs these 3 teams...

Bengals week1 vs Browns - 285 net yds(202 passing, 83 rushing)

Bengals week2 vs Broncos - 318 net yds(187 passing, 131 rushing)

Bengals week3 vs 49ers - 226 net yds(176 passing, 50 rushing)

I think what these stats tell us is that the Broncos, Browns and 49ers offenses suck no matter what defenses they face. The Broncos has their best rushing performance against the Bengals D and the 49ers had their best passing performance against the Bengals D. For Marvin Lewis to even compare his teams D to the 2000 Ravens is laughable. If the Bills opened up against the Browns, Broncos and 49ers we would be top 10 in offense and defense.

Fearthebeard, sorry to burst the bubble, but a study by football outsiders showed that statistically there is no such thing as a trap game. Bad teams win at the same rate during these games as they do in other games...

Yea well, tell that to the Buffalo Bills :lol:

Didn't that same source cite the Bills as having the best O line in the NFL to date, guess that changed also...

Edited by Fear the Beard