Of all former players giving the Bills props...

Reed83HOF

The guy has hated us ever since we wiped the field with him and his team (51-3)on route to our first super bowl...it's actually a decent article :thumbsup:

Here's what Howie says...NOT a Peter Pan link either

Yes this team has issues and is no where near perfect (not sold on depth and we need a pass rush), but man they can win. I am starting to have memories of the good days, that we are never out of a game and we can come back and win. It is so opposite of those teams though, no high draft choices, pro bowlers and stars; but they have tremendous heart and soul much like those teams...now lets see if we can keep getting better

Go Bills!!!

a few quotes...

"I’m a defensive guy, and I really like a lot of their people on that side of the ball. The versatility of their defensive front is exceptional. I really like Chris Kelsay and their No. 1 pick Marcell Dareus is a legit player. Kyle Williams, their nose tackle, doesn’t get enough national respect. Outside of the AFC East, people don’t know him. It takes a certain body type to play in there and Williams has that. Also, you have to be incredibly tough mentally and physically to play in that spot because it’s such a thankless position.

Now, I think Shawne Merriman went to Buffalo kicking and screaming. But when you go from San Diego to Buffalo, it’s kind of a shock. I think he had something else in mind, but now he’s settled in. Now he has his legs under him, he’s playing well. Buffalo’s ability to morph from a three-man front to a four-man front on third down, puts a lot of pressure on offenses. But it also plays to the strength of the players it has.

The Bills essentially have two defensive ends playing outside linebacker. Merriman is an outside linebacker, but he is extremely comfortable with his hand on the ground. So, is Kelsay.

For me, I’m still trying to figure out Fitzpatrick. Is he two parts ability and two parts intelligence? Or is it three parts intelligence and one part ability? I’m not sure yet. But I tend to agree with what Troy Aikman has said. Troy made the point that playing quarterback today is harder than it has ever been in the NFL because of the complexities of the different offensive packages, while also dealing with the defensive schemes and zone blitzes and everything else."

Edited by reed83 4th Rounder

The guy has hated us ever since we wiped the field with him and his team (51-3)on route to our first super bowl...

Here's what Howie says...NOT a Peter Pan link either

Yes this team has issues and is no where near perfect (not sold on depth and we need a pass rush), but man they can win. I am starting to have memories of the good days, that we are never out of a game and we can come back and win. It is so opposite of those teams though, no high draft choices, pro bowlers and stars; but they have tremendous heart and soul much like those teams...now lets see if we can keep getting better

Go Bills!!!

In general I agree we are not a team of pro bowlers and stars

As a counterpoint, it's not quite correct to portray us as having no high draft choices, probowlers, or stars. We have a #3 overall draft pick rookie who appears to be making a huge difference, a high 2nd round rookie who is playing well, and a #9 overall draft pick RB who has started to contribute more esp. during the 2nd game. One might argue the pick, McKelvin was a #11 overall pick. Wood was drafted in the 1st round, and Levitre was a high 2nd round pick. Merriman and Barnett were first-round draft choices in their day; Florence was a high 2nd round choice. Dwan Edwards was drafted in the 2nd round.

Williams of course went to the probowl last year. Edit: forgot that Byrd went to the probowl in 2009 and was 2nd round pick.

So while it's perfectly true that we have many undrafted players or late round draft picks who are starting, and that many of our high-round draft choices were cast off by other teams, 8 or 9 of our 22 starters are in fact high draft choices or pro bowlers.

Edited by Hopeful

In general I agree we are not a team of pro bowlers and stars

As a counterpoint, it's not quite correct to portray us as having no high draft choices, probowlers, or stars. We have a #3 overall draft pick rookie who appears to be making a huge difference, a high 2nd round rookie who is playing well, and a #9 overall draft pick RB who has started to contribute more esp. during the 2nd game. One might argue the pick, McKelvin was a #11 overall pick. Wood was drafted in the 1st round, and Levitre was a high 2nd round pick. Merriman and Barnett were first-round draft choices in their day; Florence was a high 2nd round choice. Dwan Edwards was drafted in the 2nd round.

Williams of course went to the probowl last year.

So while it's perfectly true that we have many undrafted players or late round draft picks who are starting, and that many of our high-round draft choices were cast off by other teams, 8 or 9 of our 22 starters are in fact high draft choices or pro bowlers.

I could combeack and say:

Williams was drafted in the 5th round...I entirely agree on Dareus. As far as Playmakers and the high profile positions...where was our QB drafted? #1 WR?, We don't have a #1 overall pick who is the all-time sack leader and arguably the best DE to ever play the game? Merriman is no Biscuit...

Obvisouly we have high draft picks, it's not like we traded them all away, we just cut them :oops:

This team is on the right track , this year's draft seemes outstanding. The jury is still out on Spiller; McKelvin looked horrible last week, he played well today, but is a FAR way away from being a probowler.

You say Tomahto, I say Tomato.

On a serious note, my point was more along the lines was that THIS team's heart and soul is very similar to our Superbowl teams; after the Bickering Bills...at that point we did have high draft choices in the playmaking positions who were stars and probowlers...

Honestly, I don't even care as long as this team continues to grow and get better and continues to win...

Go Bills!!!

Edited by reed83 4th Rounder

I like the quote of quarterbacks being 2 parts intelligence and 2 parts ability. I think Fitzpatrick just might be 3 parts intelligence and 2 parts ability. He is brilliant! (Vick is probably 1 part intelligence and 3 parts ability, while Brees is 3 parts intelligence and 3 parts ability)

I like the quote of quarterbacks being 2 parts intelligence and 2 parts ability. I think Fitzpatrick just might be 3 parts intelligence and 2 parts ability. He is brilliant! (Vick is probably 1 part intelligence and 3 parts ability, while Brees is 3 parts intelligence and 3 parts ability)

Heck Fitzy might be 4 parts intelligence and 1 part ability. Just Win Baby!

Fitzy is exactly 3.5 parts intelligence, 2 parts ability, 1.33 parts awesomeness, 2.25 parts beard, and 1 part girlish scream.

Edited by Randy Constan

Chris Collinsworth(less) after the game:

"The Patriots defense is bad. Really bad."

You knew there had to be one. :)

Even though Collinsworth's statement was to the effect of "I can't give the Bills credit, ever"...objectively, the Pats defense is really bad - the Pats aren't stopping anyone, they're winning solely on the arm of Brady. And no one takes a 21-point lead and then loses without a bad defense.

Though really, the game turned on 4 interceptions. So if Collinsworth were being truly objective, he'd say that the Patriots' QUARTERBACK was really bad. :w00t:

Disagree with Howie that Merriman is playing well. Doubt he has watched much Buffalo ball.

The thing I think Fitz is really improving at is his pocket mobility. I don't mean the take off and run (which he's very good at if he has to) , I mean the Drew Brees, Big Ben elusiveness and ability to sense pressure and slide within the pocket enough to give yourself and your WR's that extra second that means everything to an NFL offense.

There are tons of guys more athletic (like Losman, Rob Johnson etc) but they couldn't sense pressure and never developed the knack for playing in the pocket like Fitz is demonstrating. It's a great sign.

Remember that the guy really doesn't have that much NFL experience yet and he's improving every week.