Nobody got rich in this Country on their own???

erynthered

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So there are people who got rich completely on their own? Completely? I'd love for you to come up with one example.

So you're saying that without the gov'ments help nobody would get rich?

Did these hypothetical people go to public school?

Maybe they did. Did they pay taxes to go toward those schools?

You're a bright guy, Chef. You know what her point is. Everyone around here would be far better off if people would get off of the whole 'x person did everything on their own!' nonsense, because it's virtually impossible for it to be true. It would be nice if we could all stop arguing about stupid things like the above referenced statement, acknowldege that its true and move on to WAY more important things like "Where do we go from here?" Because I'm DAMN certain that I don't agree with Elizabeth Warren on how to get from here to there.

Once we can all agree that not everyone gets what they deserve and deserves what they get, then we can finally move on and discuss whether or not raising marginal tax rates on certain incomes would actually, you know, produce more revenue in the long run. THAT'S the question we should be trying to answer, not some idiot posting "ZOMG!!!!!1111 Can you believe this crazy person who thinks that the infrastructure of the country plays at least SOME role in the outcome of an individual person's life!!!!!!!1111 What an idiot!!!

I'm so sick of the stupidity of clinging to the idea that people rise and fall completely on their own -- there's a whole lot more that goes into it.

You sound like a lazy spoiled rotten brat. Go clean your room. :lol:

The answer to the first question is most definitely 'no', and is, in any event, pointless and boring.

.......and yet you continue to respond. That says alot about you jami.

The public school system must not have served you well. So you're probably not rich. :lol:

Edited by erynthered

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett

Looks like he did it on his own...

I'm pretty sure of that.

Stopped at line 1.

228$ (38*6) in 1941 equals about 3650 current dollars nowadays.

FOR A FREAKING 11 years old BOY ? He got that by himself ?

Last time I checked I don't **** gold in the toilets.

Even when I was young.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett

Looks like he did it on his own...

Did you even READ the article???? ROFL You missed this buddy:

"Buffett's interest in the stock market and investing also dated to his childhood, to the days he spent in the customers' lounge of a regional stock brokerage near the office of his father's own brokerage company. On a trip to New York City at the age of ten, he made a point to visit the New York Stock Exchange. At the age of 11, he bought three shares of Cities Service Preferred for himself, and three for his sister. While in high school he invested in a business owned by his father and bought a farm worked by a tenant farmer. By the time he finished college, Buffett had accumulated more than $90,000 in savings measured in 2009 dollars."

Hmmm... father's brokerage company, where he was given a FREE education, and he traveled to New York City when he was 10 (not of course with his own money, but his FATHER'S), and at the age of 11 he bought shares with whose money, and probably with NO fees because of his father.

Sorry, I buy the fact no one really gets rich by themselves.

Edited by BmoreBills

Sorry, I buy the fact no one really gets rich by themselves.

Of course they don't. Even bank robbers need you to deposit money in a bank. Drug dealers need users. This is the stupidest arguement ever. My point is the woman in the video is saying we need roads, schools and emergency services and wealthy people need to pay a chunk of their money to do so. No **** lady they already are. That was the point of my "what's her point?" comment.

So there are people who got rich completely on their own? Completely? I'd love for you to come up with one example.

Did these hypothetical people go to public school?

edison did OK

Thomas Alva Edison was born on February 11, 1847 in Milan, Ohio. With only three months of formal education he became one of the greatest inventors and industrial leaders in history. Edison obtained 1,093 United States patents, the most issued to any individual.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Of course they don't.

Yet you trivialize the infrastructure that was set up in order for individuals to thrive by comparing them to drug addicts and deposits in a bank account. This thread wouldn't even exist if half the people around here wouldn't steadfastly refuse to admit to the obvious truth inbedded in your quote. Instead of meaningful conversations about the size and scope of government, we continue to have nonsense 'debates' about whether the government even has the authority to tax people.

Of course they don't. Even bank robbers need you to deposit money in a bank. Drug dealers need users. This is the stupidest arguement ever. My point is the woman in the video is saying we need roads, schools and emergency services and wealthy people need to pay a chunk of their money to do so. No **** lady they already are. That was the point of my "what's her point?" comment.

It's amazing to me anyone would listen to this stupidity and think she has has a point.

She specifically refers to an "underlying" contract that successful business owners have with the rest of society. And this "underlying" contract apparently says that because some people had the nutsack to risk their careers to by starting their own company that everyone else should get a piece of that success because the successful businesses use resources everyone paid for so, consequently, you "owe" these people.

Forget that the successful business owners also paid for those resources. Forget that the successful business owners pay more in taxes. Forget that successful business owners DO pay it forward by putting other people to work who DON'T have the nutsack to go their own way.

Forget all of that. Because this chick says there's an underlying contract somewhere. We don't know where. But she says so, so it must be true.

Idiots.

It's amazing to me anyone would listen to this stupidity and think she has has a point.

She specifically refers to an "underlying" contract that successful business owners have with the rest of society. And this "underlying" contract apparently says that because some people had the nutsack to risk their careers to by starting their own company that everyone else should get a piece of that success because the successful businesses use resources everyone paid for so, consequently, you "owe" these people.

Forget that the successful business owners also paid for those resources. Forget that the successful business owners pay more in taxes. Forget that successful business owners DO pay it forward by putting other people to work who DON'T have the nutsack to go their own way.

Forget all of that. Because this chick says there's an underlying contract somewhere. We don't know where. But she says so, so it must be true.

Idiots.

It's bull **** like hers that makes me enjoy exploiting the poor and minorities.

Thomas Edison needed financial backing for his inventions, and he didn't pony up the money himself. You just don't come up with an invention in a workshop and use all of your own money to manufacture it. Be real here... that was too easy to refute.

Did Edison's backers finance him out of the goodness of their hearts or did they expect some kind of return?

Thomas Edison needed financial backing for his inventions, and he didn't pony up the money himself. You just don't come up with an invention in a workshop and use all of your own money to manufacture it. Be real here... that was too easy to refute.

If you consider that a refute, sure it was easy. Asinine comments don't need a lot of work. Title of thread is "nobody got rich in this country on their own". So coming up with brilliant inventions and convincing others to invest in them is not on your own? What is? Oh thats right no one ever did it.

Thomas Alva Edison was born on February 11, 1847 in Milan, Ohio. With only three months of formal education he became one of the greatest inventors and industrial leaders in history. Edison obtained 1,093 United States patents, the most issued to any individual.

You're kidding me, right? I mean -- you're just trying to eff around with us now, right? Please?

If you consider that a refute, sure it was easy. Asinine comments don't need a lot of work. Title of thread is "nobody got rich in this country on their own". So coming up with brilliant inventions and convincing others to invest in them is not on your own? What is? Oh thats right no one ever did it.

Jim you can't refute a "refute" like that :rolleyes: , but you can ask him to name those investors and the amount they invested. Then after he has done that you can still tell him that convincing others was part of doing it on his own. We need to make more of these guys work for their losses.

Jim you can't refute a "refute" like that :rolleyes: , but you can ask him to name those investors and the amount they invested. Then after he has done that you can still tell him that convincing others was part of doing it on his own. We need to make more of these guys work for their losses.

Only someone still had to purchase said widget. Success does not happen in a vacuum.

Only someone still had to purchase said widget. Success does not happen in a vacuum.

And he also had to find a reliable source of raw mateials and components from which to assemble his finished product

Still doesn't back up what the what the congress critter was implying, that rich people need to give more money to the gubmint