Raining on the Parade

Pass the Pipe

Like many of you I am satisfied with this team’s direction and growth over the last 18 games under the Gailey/Nix regime, but I wouldn’t characterize my state as euphoric, intoxicated, or oblivious like too many of you including Sullivan. A cold dose of reality will sweep over the emotional fan base with the arrival of Brady and company on Sunday; my estimate is around 2:15 PM EST, almost like the Aztecan calendar. Still too many holes and too little time removed from the Marv Levy/Tom Modrak administration. Concerns that I have:

• A woeful pass rush; was Modrak very influential in last year’s draft class as limited gems have materialized from that pool of selections as well, especially Troupe and Carrington;

• Staying with the pass rush, I believe it is confirmed, Merriman certainly has lost multiple steps, not just the proverbial “step!” I like the emotion, brute strength, and determination, but his explosiveness is clearly lacking, just maybe it can be blamed on game conditioning, which truly has no similarities with a martial arts studio/training regime.

• Even I was fooled with the depth of this secondary as there is none. Frankly, I would bench McKelvin and start Aaron Williams, it can’t be any worse. Also, for the life of me, I can’t understand how management didn’t make a play for Brandon Meriweather, he certainly has experience with both the Patriots and Jets and would the drop off from George Wilson really be that far?

• The Andre Davis signing is, well, just that a signing; Sheppard has made enough plays on special teams to deserve a chance to displace this free agent bust. I love the kid’s intensity;

• We don’t have enough speed at the wide out position; we really need some explosiveness at that position, including the tight end, and no I am not lamenting on the Lee Evans trade, which I totally supported and was unquestionably the correct move; lastly

I'm not sure Merriman has lost steps. He certainly hadn't in the preseason. He's probably playing with another injury. That being said, why isn't Carrington playing more at LB? He could develop into a very good one based on what we've seen already.

Modrak should have been gone long before he was. It would be interesting to know how much he influenced the Maybin pick.

Lack of a pass rush may relate to our scheme. Remember, we had the same defensive coordinator last year when the rush was nonexistent.

McKelvin, agreed, is frequently difficult to watch. But I'm not sure you want to start the rookie just yet, especially when you're winning. That could change soon, however. Hopefully it won't.

• For everything great about Fitzpatrick, he is still inaccurate and his arm lacks zip. Let’s face it, competent secondary play by the Raiders yesterday would have resulted in two or three picks and fans headed to the exits early in the forth.

I am hoping for Titans/Ravens type shocker on Sunday, but I just don’t see it. Hopefully it is tight and not the classic NE vs. Bills blowout that we have all become accustom to.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I hate the word. There is no retort to the word. Once someone is tarred with that brush then whatever they say from there on is not taken seriously. However that's not the point. Let's get this discussion back on point. The Bills are better than you think but I agree there have been so many false dawns it's hard for some people to get excited about where we are going. It takes all sorts!

stated perfectly. i hope you are right.

ike many of you I am satisfied with this team’s direction and growth over the last 18 games under the Gailey/Nix regime, but I wouldn’t characterize my state as euphoric, intoxicated, or oblivious like too many of you including Sullivan. A cold dose of reality will sweep over the emotional fan base with the arrival of Brady and company on Sunday; my estimate is around 2:15 PM EST, almost like the Aztecan calendar. Still too many holes and too little time removed from the Marv Levy/Tom Modrak administration. Concerns that I have:

• A woeful pass rush; was Modrak very influential in last year’s draft class as limited gems have materialized from that pool of selections as well, especially Troupe and Carrington;- both opponents so far like to dump the ball off a lot and the defense was waiting for it, McFadden is so fast sometimes it didn't matter but they would have screen more if we would have rushed the passer. The offenses we played against the worst thing your could do is pin the ears back and come after them.

• Staying with the pass rush, I believe it is confirmed, Merriman certainly has lost multiple steps, not just the proverbial “step!” I like the emotion, brute strength, and determination, but his explosiveness is clearly lacking, just maybe it can be blamed on game conditioning, which truly has no similarities with a martial arts studio/training regime. [b][/b] like above- he hasn't been asked to pass rush, stand tackle up set the edge so far

• Even I was fooled with the depth of this secondary as there is none. Frankly, I would bench McKelvin and start Aaron Williams, it can’t be any worse. Also, for the life of me, I can’t understand how management didn’t make a play for Brandon Meriweather, he certainly has experience with both the Patriots and Jets and would the drop off from George Wilson really be that far? first and foremost the patriots cut guys when they can't play anymore (find me an exception) McKelvin you keep playing and hope he improves

• The Andre Davis signing is, well, just that a signing; Sheppard has made enough plays on special teams to deserve a chance to displace this free agent bust. I love the kid’s intensity; Davis comes out of games atleast the coaches see that, if it's an interior running team he can be a plus

• We don’t have enough speed at the wide out position; we really need some explosiveness at that position, including the tight end, and no I am not lamenting on the Lee Evans trade, which I totally supported and was unquestionably the correct move; lastly The Raiders played way off our wideouts, 9-10 yard patterns were there for the taking and they did the entire second half. Donald Jones can fly, with Roosevelt being added he can get deep as well.

• For everything great about Fitzpatrick, he is still inaccurate and his arm lacks zip. Let’s face it, competent secondary play by the Raiders yesterday would have resulted in two or three picks and fans headed to the exits early in the forth. EVERY single QB makes terrible throws, balls that could be intercepted and weren't it's part of the deal for the QB's that put up points

I am hoping for Titans/Ravens type shocker on Sunday, but I just don’t see it. Hopefully it is tight and not the classic NE vs. Bills blowout that we have all become accustom to. More importantly we need to beat the bengals the week after and get to 3-1 in the first quarter of the season. No one has slowed the patriots down too much so far including a Chargers team some are picking for the super bowl

Edited by CardinalScotts

I don't think many people are actually expecting a playoff run this year. It'd be great, sure... but a great many of us simply want to see progress, with the more realistic goal being playoffs next year after another "good" draft and maybe a couple more free agency signings.

My prediction of a 6-10 record included wins over KC & Oakland so nothing has changed yet. The other wins?? Washington, Cincy and Miami and Jets at home. I might replace win over Jets with Denver at home.

Many thanks to Pass the Pipe for being so WRONG WRONG WRONG in such glorious detail when comparing his predictions to the game reality!

Like many of you I am satisfied with this team’s direction and growth over the last 18 games under the Gailey/Nix regime, but I wouldn’t characterize my state as euphoric, intoxicated, or oblivious like too many of you including Sullivan. A cold dose of reality will sweep over the emotional fan base with the arrival of Brady and company on Sunday; my estimate is around 2:15 PM EST, almost like the Aztecan calendar. Still too many holes and too little time removed from the Marv Levy/Tom Modrak administration. Concerns that I have:

• A woeful pass rush; was Modrak very influential in last year’s draft class as limited gems have materialized from that pool of selections as well, especially Troupe and Carrington;

• Staying with the pass rush, I believe it is confirmed, Merriman certainly has lost multiple steps, not just the proverbial “step!” I like the emotion, brute strength, and determination, but his explosiveness is clearly lacking, just maybe it can be blamed on game conditioning, which truly has no similarities with a martial arts studio/training regime.

• Even I was fooled with the depth of this secondary as there is none. Frankly, I would bench McKelvin and start Aaron Williams, it can’t be any worse. Also, for the life of me, I can’t understand how management didn’t make a play for Brandon Meriweather, he certainly has experience with both the Patriots and Jets and would the drop off from George Wilson really be that far?

• The Andre Davis signing is, well, just that a signing; Sheppard has made enough plays on special teams to deserve a chance to displace this free agent bust. I love the kid’s intensity;

• We don’t have enough speed at the wide out position; we really need some explosiveness at that position, including the tight end, and no I am not lamenting on the Lee Evans trade, which I totally supported and was unquestionably the correct move; lastly

• For everything great about Fitzpatrick, he is still inaccurate and his arm lacks zip. Let’s face it, competent secondary play by the Raiders yesterday would have resulted in two or three picks and fans headed to the exits early in the forth.

I am hoping for Titans/Ravens type shocker on Sunday, but I just don’t see it. Hopefully it is tight and not the classic NE vs. Bills blowout that we have all become accustom to.

Hey...Pass the Pipe! :devil:

Nervous Guy, from the bottom of my heart I salute you and the other true “billievers” for the unwavering commitment and receiving your justly deserved reward! As stated, I didn’t believe the team was ready to compete at this level and, clearly, I under estimated the determination and character of this team. I really owe an apology to Donald Jones as he has clearly exceeded expectations. I am still not enamored by the defense and Fitz missed a couple of wide open receivers that killed drives and he was completely bailed out on the errant pass endzone pass into double coverage that had game killing potential written over it, but I’ll take his gun slinging ways and attitude any day over the rifle arm Jay Cutler/Mark Sanchez types beloved by the football media.

In the meantime I’ll have another serving of crow and, for a change, all my showers will be golden!

Nervous Guy, from the bottom of my heart I salute you and the other true “billievers” for the unwavering commitment and receiving your justly deserved reward! As stated, I didn’t believe the team was ready to compete at this level and, clearly, I under estimated the determination and character of this team. I really owe an apology to Donald Jones as he has clearly exceeded expectations. I am still not enamored by the defense and Fitz missed a couple of wide open receivers that killed drives and he was completely bailed out on the errant pass endzone pass into double coverage that had game killing potential written over it, but I’ll take his gun slinging ways and attitude any day over the rifle arm Jay Cutler/Mark Sanchez types beloved by the football media.

In the meantime I’ll have another serving of crow and, for a change, all my showers will be golden!

Yes that PI call was a game changer, I mean just a stupid and irresponsible throw by Fitz. Of course, had Nelson not been interfered with who knows if he would have been able to make a play on the pass. And our defense? Pathetic, really. I mean had Tom Brady not thrown 4 stupid and irresponsible passes we may not have been able to actually win the game, thank god Brady is inaccurate and weak armed. And that rush defense we have? I can't even begin to explain how bad that is.

Enjoy that shower.

WOULD YOU LIKE A FEW OF YOUR OWN WORDS ALONG WITH THE CROW YOUR EATING ?? :doh::nana::blink:

since we don't have a peace pipe emoticon this will have to do. :beer: Welcome aboard!