If luck had come out would newton have been a bill?

truth on hold

Assume panthers take luck, I don't see Denver taking cam because it would have been 2 first rounders in row on qb and elway only soured on Tebow months later in pre season.

Would broncos have traded 2nd overall to someone who wanted cam? On defense they really wanted miller and if miller were now there at 3 expectation would be 3 - 4 bills take him. My guess they take miller and bills take cam. I'd say the latter would have been a given

Are we better off with cam or dareus? I forecast dareus. I like a strong defense and someone on the line who gets double teams off Williams.

I know cam had a very good debut but I'm of the view that was in large part due to sloppy defense in a shortened pre season that played into the hands of a scrambler. I think over time he will cool and dareus's value will only become more apparent.

But neither is a given. Because luck didn't come out dareus and newtons careers bear comparison for what might have been for the bills.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I don't see Denver taking Newton in that scenario. But who knows. Time will tell against Newton anyways. He had one good game against a horrid pass defense.

I wonder how much time rookie Peterson saw in cards secondary.

One thing in cam's favor he certainly has the moxie and media interest to counter Brady and sanchez IF he performed on the field.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I wonder how much time rookie Peterson saw in cards secondary.

One thing in cam's favor he certainly has the moxie and media interest to counter Brady and sanchez IF he performed on the field. Last QB we had who talked it and walked it was Kelly.

Media interest stems from winning (mostly). Newton performed well and won in college so he was star. You are right that his Moxie helped. But winning was his biggest advantage. If Fitz keeps putting up solid numbers and winning he will garner plenty of media interest as the underdog QB who persevered or the intelligent Harvard grad etc...etc..

I think Chan planned to stick with Fitz regardless, Fitz and Chan are on the same page and it showed against KC. Chan was going to start Fitz this year, period.

They could have taken Newton as a future franchise qb, but frankly the defensive need was much greater. Why draft a qb you don't plan to play right away, when your D-line and O-line need help right now? So no, I don't think Newton would be a Bill.

I heard from a few different people close to the Bills that Newton was the #1 player on their board and they would have taken him over anyone if he was available, regardless of their feelings for Fitz or need to stop the run. If Luck came out, I think Newton would have been a Bill, unless a team made a huge trade proposal to the Broncos.

It may not be this year, even after that great start, but Newton is going to be a star. I watched the Panthers game this week and he was amazing overall. The Cards D played poorly but Newton threw a lot of great passes. His arm is just ridiculous, and for the most part he was very accurate. He was under a lot of pressure, too, most of the game.

Edited by Kelly the Fair and Balanced Dog

Assume panthers take luck, I don't see Denver taking cam because it would have been 2 first rounders in row on qb and elway only soured on Tebow months later in pre season.

Would broncos have traded 2nd overall to someone who wanted cam? On defense they really wanted miller and if miller were now there at 3 expectation would be 3 - 4 bills take him. My guess they take miller and bills take cam. I'd say the latter would have been a given

Are we better off with cam or dareus? I forecast dareus. I like a strong defense and someone on the line who gets double teams off Williams.

I know cam had a very good debut but I'm of the view that was in large part due to sloppy defense in a shortened pre season that played into the hands of a scrambler. I think over time he will cool and dareus's value will only become more apparent.

But neither is a given. Because luck didn't come out dareus and newtons careers bear comparison for what might have been for the bills.

who cares...the Bills HAVE a QB.

The offense is clicking because of the relationship between Fitz and Gailey. Throw a new QB with no OTAs to learn the system and we are 0-1 looking at 0-2. The D without Darius would be worse and the offense definitely would be starting from scratch again. Why would we want that?

PTR

I think Chan planned to stick with Fitz regardless, Fitz and Chan are on the same page and it showed against KC. Chan was going to start Fitz this year, period.

They could have taken Newton as a future franchise qb, but frankly the defensive need was much greater. Why draft a qb you don't plan to play right away, when your D-line and O-line need help right now? So no, I don't think Newton would be a Bill.

The obvious answer being if you hit on a future HOF qb, you are superbowl bound and in the playoffs for a decade.... While any other position simply improves your team.

How about we assume if Luck came out, the Panthers were still interested in taking Cam,

So: Cam, Luck, Dareus

Based on Nix's comments, had Luck come out, I think Newton would definitely be in Buffalo, and in the long run, it would be great for us. But Dareus is certainly no consolation prize, he's already shown to be a rising star, so IMO its a win win for Buffalo, the only loser of the scenario is denver who bit on Miller.

I'd take Cam first, I am not so certain he would be starting though. The franchise QB is what you go after, it is not there every draft and you are not in position to get one many times. You have to pull the trigger on that. It might have been a bit problematical with Fitz though, I like Fitz as much as anyone and would hate for him to be on the bench in favor of a rookie but I would have to speculate that would have happened.

Cam is simply better, can Fitz throw 400+ yards consistently? I have a feeling you will see Cam do that. Damn impressive game he played (even if the other team sucked donkey balls), it is the NFL the talent level is much higher, that is part of why it takes some guys 2-3 years before they are ready.

With that said, I am very happy we got a dominating Dline man, we really needed that piece more. We were lucky, speaking of Luck.

Maybe we'd have Newton, but in spite of Cam's terrific performance last week, Dareus was still the highest rated player in the 2011 draft, and he fell to us. I think the guy will be in the HOF some day, assumming he stays healthy for most of his career.