Drew Bledsoe Comments on Buffalo

Nix Buddy

You heard the interview, not me, so you're the best person to judge. But I know that sometimes I get super defensive and read way too much into anti-Buffalo comments to the point of distorting the principal point. I wonder if you might have done something similar here?

Bledsoe was awful here, but still classy, so this seems way out of character for him.

He wasn't awful here, in fact the only time we have had a winning record in over a decade he was here. His first year here he put up numbers enough to end up playing in Hawaii in February. He wasn't great the whole tenure here, but compared to what we have had since Kelly retired, him and Flutie are legends.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You heard the interview, not me, so you're the best person to judge. But I know that sometimes I get super defensive and read way too much into anti-Buffalo comments to the point of distorting the principal point. I wonder if you might have done something similar here?

Bledsoe was awful here, but still classy, so this seems way out of character for him.

To be fair, the red sox broadcast booth isn't the most class-inducing environment. Still: f&$&'em.

For those of you who would like to hear the whole interview and judge for yourself here is the link: http://audio.weei.com/a/45266549/patriot-hall-of-famer-drew-bledsoe-looks-back-on-his-career-in-new-england-and-talks-about-his-relationship-with-tom-brady.htm I personally think he was poking fun of the Buffalo weather more so than the team or fans.

Edited by mchammer

For those of you who would like to hear the whole interview and judge for yourself here is the link: http://audio.weei.co...h-tom-brady.htm I personally think he was poking fun of the Buffalo weather more so than the team or fans.

I agree.

I never liked spleen boy, but he did conduct himself like a professional. Even when Brady stole his job. Pretty classy guy for the most part.

Drew Bledsoe was an alcoholic who would bring a bottle of Crown into the film room and drink the whole thing. He was drunk more than he wasn't. True story.

Edit: I was part of a conversation with Russ Brandon after he had a few drinks. That's where I heard this.

Edited by Thisistheyear

He wasn't awful here, in fact the only time we have had a winning record in over a decade he was here. His first year here he put up numbers enough to end up playing in Hawaii in February. He wasn't great the whole tenure here, but compared to what we have had since Kelly retired, him and Flutie are legends.

I completely disagree with what you're implying about the 04 season. The Bills defense/special teams combo in 04 was quite literally one of the best in the league in the past couple of decades when you account for yards, turnovers, field position, etc. Football Outsiders even ran a piece a while back wondering how a team with such a good defense could go 9-7. The answer? In my opinion, their crappy QB:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2010/fo-mailbag-best-dvoa-miss-playoffs

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2008/final-2008-dvoa-ratings

Edited by dave mcbride

I liked Bledsoe for about 8 games on the Bills, but I soon saw him for the washed-up, immobile QB he was. Hall of Fame for the Pats? Because he moved out of the way for the best QB they've ever had? That's the only reason I can think of.

For those of you who would like to hear the whole interview and judge for yourself here is the link: http://audio.weei.com/a/45266549/patriot-hall-of-famer-drew-bledsoe-looks-back-on-his-career-in-new-england-and-talks-about-his-relationship-with-tom-brady.htm I personally think he was poking fun of the Buffalo weather more so than the team or fans.

Thanks for the link but this isn't the interview the OP was referring to. DB was interviewed in the broadcast booth during the Red Sox/Rays game last night by the hometown game announcers. Apparently, that's when DB made his disparaging remarks.

GO BILLS!!!

he was awful outside of his first 8 games. hard to watch. painful. rob johnson-esque. it was harder to watch than rob johnson because those first 8 games were such a tease.

I completely disagree with what you're implying about the 04 season. The Bills defense/special teams combo in 04 was quite literally one of the best in the league in the past couple of decades when you account for yards, turnovers, field position, etc. Football Outsiders even ran a piece a while back wondering how a team with such a good defense could go 9-7. The answer? In my opinion, their crappy QB:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2010/fo-mailbag-best-dvoa-miss-playoffs

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2008/final-2008-dvoa-ratings

In 2002 he broke Jim Kellys single season yardage record for the Bills by over 500 yards and the completion record by over 70 completion (both records still stand). 24 TD against only 15 ints. And you can't say because the threw all the time, Travis Henry had the 5th highest rushing yard total in franchise history with over 1400 yards. Moulds had 100 catches, the only time a Bills players has gotten to that milestone, and Peerless Price had 94 catches, the second highest in franchise history (tied with Moulds). Larry Centers and Travis Henry had almost another 700 yards of receiving yards coming out of the backfield that year. But you are right, he was never any good here, it was all the defense? Just because the guy said something you didn't like, that doesn't erase the record books, if it did, O.J.'s name wouldn't be all over them.

Edited by billsfreak

I live in the same town as Drew, in Bend, OR and have seen him around several times. The first time was at the Whole Foods Market where I had a chance to introduce myself as a Bills fan and Drew was super kind to me. The thing I liked was he asked more questions about me than I asked about him. He seemed genuine and was interested in what part of BUF I was from, how long I've been out here, when was the last time I was at the Ralph, we talked skiing at Mt Bachelor and about what a great bunch of golf courses are around Bend. I asked him if he was bitter at all about being shipped out of BUF and he said "absolutely not, I loved my time in Buffalo and it's part of the business".

Then several months later, I saw him at Mt Bachelor on a sick powder day. He came into the bar with a group of guys and I was by myself and holding down a table in the small, packed bar. I offered to let them have my table and I reminded Drew that I chatted with him at Whole Foods and he said "That's why I love Bills Fans".

He IS a classy dude and after listening to that interview, my opinion hasn't changed at all.

I live in the same town as Drew, in Bend, OR and have seen him around several times. The first time was at the Whole Foods Market where I had a chance to introduce myself as a Bills fan and Drew was super kind to me. The thing I liked was he asked more questions about me than I asked about him. He seemed genuine and was interested in what part of BUF I was from, how long I've been out here, when was the last time I was at the Ralph, we talked skiing at Mt Bachelor and about what a great bunch of golf courses are around Bend. I asked him if he was bitter at all about being shipped out of BUF and he said "absolutely not, I loved my time in Buffalo and it's part of the business".

Then several months later, I saw him at Mt Bachelor on a sick powder day. He came into the bar with a group of guys and I was by myself and holding down a table in the small, packed bar. I offered to let them have my table and I reminded Drew that I chatted with him at Whole Foods and he said "That's why I love Bills Fans".

He IS a classy dude and after listening to that interview, my opinion hasn't changed at all.

I am not a bit surprised by your comments. All he said was the weather in Buffalo sucks (and doesn't it?) and some people take that and run with it, and 25 seconds later he criticized every family, business and person who has ever lived in Buffalo.

WNY weather absolutely sucks other than July and August

Wow, I could not disagree more! While I prefer a more balanced climate, preferably the mid-atlantic region of the US, I LOVED the Autums back in rochester when I was growing up there. From when the weather starts breaking in April, through the summer, there is little to complain about. But when you get into Sept, Oct, and even the first part of November, it's the BEST time to be in WNY, IMO! I've become a bit of a homebody in my old age, but growing up in WNY was great...if you have ANY desire to be outdoors, there is a ton of fun stuff to do during the Autumn back up that way.

http://www.footballo...a-miss-playoffs

http://www.footballo...08-dvoa-ratings

Absolutely correct. If Shane Matthews was starting instead of Brain Dead Drew, the Bills would've made the playoffs. :angry:

I would really like to hear what Bledsoe said, from his own mouth...not a second hand account from a thin skinned Bills fan...haven't we seen comments like these stretched to mean what we want to hear, you know, "we've been disrepected", because that is part of Bills fandom, feeling disrespected.

This.

Been looking for a clip of this on NESN.com and YouTube. Until I see it, I'll reserve any criticism of Bledsoe.

Edited by Golden Wheels

In 2002 he broke Jim Kellys single season yardage record for the Bills by over 500 yards and the completion record by over 70 completion (both records still stand). 24 TD against only 15 ints. And you can't say because the threw all the time, Travis Henry had the 5th highest rushing yard total in franchise history with over 1400 yards. Moulds had 100 catches, the only time a Bills players has gotten to that milestone, and Peerless Price had 94 catches, the second highest in franchise history (tied with Moulds). Larry Centers and Travis Henry had almost another 700 yards of receiving yards coming out of the backfield that year. But you are right, he was never any good here, it was all the defense? Just because the guy said something you didn't like, that doesn't erase the record books, if it did, O.J.'s name wouldn't be all over them.

I was talking about 04, not 02. He was horrible in 03 too. In 02, after a fast start against weak competition, (16 TDs and 5 INTs in the first eight weeks), he staggered to the finish line, throwing 8 tds and 10 picks in the final 8 games. The worst was the shutout in GB, when he had an epically bad game with the season on the line (they were 7-7 at the time). Those 02 rushing stats are deceiving too. The Bills were 29th in rushing attempts and 24th in rushing yards. They literally did "throw all of the time."

That said, he did have a pretty decent year in 02. Not great, but decent: 7.1 ypa is average, and an 8.1 percent sack rate (he was sacked 54 times) isn't good. It wasn't all the line either. A lot of it was him.

Edited by dave mcbride