Geoff Hangartner

billopads

Some teams want big mauler guys up front like the Bills under Gailey and Nix so Hangartner is mostly worthless.

Some teams want smaller, smart, more athletic guys up front so Hangartner is a decent starter.

Some teams have a bunch of veterans on the line and team already making Hangertner mostly worthless.

Some teams have a bunch of young, green guys up front making Hangartner pretty valuable.

Some teams have a bunch of versatile players on their teams playing multiple positions making Hangartner's versatility virtually meaningless.

Some teams have a bunch of players who are locked into one position and it's all they know making Hangartner's versatility valuable.

I could go on for hours. The same player has a different worth for practically all 32 teams.

I see this being like the Dockery situation ... Washington thought he could stilll play ... He did not play well.

I see this roster move as another where Nix and Gailey are looking for players who fit the system. I give them credit for not having sacred cows. If this team is going to improve the roster must improve top to bottom.

Geoff Hangartner has won the starting right guard position for the Carolina Panthers yet he wasn't good enough to stick with Bills as a backup. Sure looks like another cost cutting release to me.

If you watched Hangartner play...ever...regardless of position...you would realize why he was cut. The guy simply isn't an NFL quality OL. He gets thrown around and mauled by opposing DT's, even mediocre ones. He creates absolutely no push on running plays. Watching him play against the big NT's in the AFC east was laughable. The only one that looked worse than Hangartner in the pre-season was Mansfield Wrotto...and wow was he bad....

If the Panthers choose to start him...well then maybe we DON'T have the worst OL in the league.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Hangartner was not that bad, but he also wasn't all that great either. He was an adequate C who had experience playing guard. He is the type of player that makes a better backup then a starter. The problem was the Bills felt that he was not good enough in their offence to play guard, even in a reserve role, so they decided he wasn't worth the roster spot as just a reserve C.

But Bills "fans" will make a big deal out of anything, and of course he made more then the veteran minimum, so obviously this was a cost cutting move and Ralph is cheap

Imagine how bad you are when you take a Bills castoff. Poor Panthers.

What do you mean, normally those teams are great! (not in this case though)

Saints(Greer) Jets (Leonard) Vikings (Big Pat and Winfield). Heck even Jonathan Scott played LT for the Steelers in the SB! Still wondering how that happened.

What do you mean, normally those teams are great! (not in this case though)

Saints(Greer) Jets (Leonard) Vikings (Big Pat and Winfield). Heck even Jonathan Scott played LT for the Steelers in the SB! Still wondering how that happened.

Leonard is the only one on that list that actually applies, as he was the only Cut. And it was the Ravens (Rex) who grabbed him originally.

Greer, Pat, Winfield, Clemens, etc. were not castoffs, they were players that were too good for us to sign since we didnt want to spend money.

Still crappy, but there is a difference. We're not cutting great players.

Hangartner is a decent C level Center or Guard, he is not starter but Carolina is comfortable with him.

As a side note I guarantee that Carolina won't finish with a better record than the Bills. Cam Newton's accuracy completion percentage will be 10% below Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Josh Johnson.