Top Russian hocky team

mead107

There were several ex-NHL'ers on that team and reportedly on the plane... Pavol Demitra and Karel Rachunek are two that i know of. This is not just a tragedy for Russia but for all of the world hockey community. Just horrible news today.

What a terrible thing, RIP.

Makes you think of the law of large numbers...how long will it be until we lose an entire MLB/NFL/NBA/NHl team to a plane crash?

I agree. I have wondered that too! This reminds me of the plane crash of the Marshall team and the Oklahoma St basketball team.

Thomas Vanek's brother-in-law Josef Vasicek was confirmed to be on the flight. Tragic day for many families and fans involved.

My prayers to the Vanek family and the others. A Dallas Star was lost too.. Karlis Skrastins. A sad day for the hockey world.

What a terrible thing, RIP.

Makes you think of the law of large numbers...how long will it be until we lose an entire MLB/NFL/NBA/NHl team to a plane crash?

You might want to call that the law of small numbers because if you really wanted to calculate the chance of that, you'll be adding a whole bunch of zeros after the decimal point.

On Thursday night, Dynamo Minsk players still skated out on the ice of their arena — not for a game, but for a remarkable "hockey funeral" for their fallen opponents, in front of stands packed with fans in mourning. This is as surreal, heartbreaking and moving a moment as we've seen on the rink:

Video and article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Dynamo-Minsk-8217-s-hockey-funeral-for-L?urn=nhl-wp12157

On Thursday night, Dynamo Minsk players still skated out on the ice of their arena — not for a game, but for a remarkable "hockey funeral" for their fallen opponents, in front of stands packed with fans in mourning. This is as surreal, heartbreaking and moving a moment as we've seen on the rink:

Video and article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Dynamo-Minsk-8217-s-hockey-funeral-for-L?urn=nhl-wp12157

That was very moving. Two of those lost: Daniil Sobchenko and Yuri Urychev, both played for Russia at the WJC in Buffalo. I was at the WJC watching all 21 games at HSBC. It has been quite a roller coast for Russian hockey this year. The obvious high for Russia was the incredible five goal outburst against Canada in the Gold Medal game to reverse a 3-0 deficit and ultimately win 5-3. In all the sporting events that I have witnessed, few rivaled the drama in how Russia flipped the switch with their five goal comeback. I was seated at the end of the arena where the flags were raised as part of the medal ceremony. The Russian team was locked shoulder to shoulder and very vocally singing their anthem. Then in their joy they were denied entry to their flight home until they sobered up a bit. And now this. Hockey is having a bad summer. RIP.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2011/09/two-russian-gold-medalists.html