Darius Butler-CB released (Patriots)

Wow! Between him and Meriweather, they're giving up on some high recent draft picks.

According to PFT article DT Ron Brace could be on the bubble as well:

The Patriots took defensive tackle Ron Brace one spot ahead of Butler and he’s no lock to remain on the roster through the season.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/06/darius-butler-let-go-by-patriots/ Edited by Carey Bender

Apparently it's my turn…

Git 'er done, Buddy!!!

Not really. The Bills actually brought Butler in for a pre-draft visit. Those visits are sometimes a red herring though.

And as it turned out, we couldn't have drafted him at his value spot.

The Patsies* took Butler one pick before we took Jairus Byrd… kind of similar to this year when they took Ras-I Dowling one pick before we took Aaron Williams … all four players are DBs and were high 2nd rounders.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Trading down in the draft for more picks always seems like a good idea unless those 2nd and 3rd rounders turn out to be busts.

The best thing the Patriots have done with some of those lower picks is turn them into veteran acquisitions. They have been successful at FA acquisitions and trades. Vrabel, Harrison, Moss, Welker, Dillon, and the various OL FAs they got were an impressive group of FA acquisitions/trades. I don't think you can compare what the Patriots have done draft-wise with a team like the Steelers who have built multiple championship teams through the draft.

Damn them, it has been on my mind that we need a very real cb right now and i had hoped we would grab one asap.

Sleeping Buddy? not sure but i hope we are watching for one.

Due to last seasons record Carolina would have the #1 waiver priority wouldn't they? So Buffalo wouldn't have a chance.

Damn them, it has been on my mind that we need a very real cb right now and i had hoped we would grab one asap.

Sleeping Buddy? not sure but i hope we are watching for one.

Waivers go by record. Nix could have claimed him but CAR gets dibs for being worst team last year.

PTR