The real reason why the Bills are under the cap

Jerry Jabber

Nix said he wants to spend the big bucks on resigning their own players and not spend it on high profile players. That philosophy has been working for the Steelers, so I have no problem with that.

Wouldn't that strategy make a little more sense if your 'key players' got you to the Super Bowl multiple times (like Pittsburgh) instead of to 4-12? :lol:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So they do not want to sign better players that could make them a better team now. Instead they want to save the money now so that they can resign the key players from the 4-12 season last year? Even though if they spent the money this year on short term veteran improvements they could cut these players in the future when they needed to in order to fit under the cap? This is your logic? This theory makes the Bills front office seems so stupid that it makes you look like a "gloomer" in my opinion. LOL :)

I am not privy to the inner working of OBD, but I sure as hell hope you are not correct for the sake of the Bills future!

What he said ^^^^ :worthy:

Wouldn't that strategy make a little more sense if your 'key players' got you to the Super Bowl multiple times (like Pittsburgh) instead of to 4-12? :lol:

This is the start of year 2 for CHIX. If you seriously think anyone can turn a sh@t team into a superbowl team in one year, then you're smoking some serious crack.

JJ, I completely agree with you. CHIX has been doing a complete overhaul of the roster from Dickie J & Marv. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/9/4/2403478/buffalo-bills-roster-2011-buddy-nix-chan-gailey

"Now that yesterday's roster cuts have sunk in, it's time to update those numbers: of the 53 players currently on Buffalo's roster, 40 are players that Nix and Gailey have either acquired themselves, or inherited players that they've made serious commitments to."

People forget that Nix helped transform the Chargers from a 1-15 team to a consistent playoff team, that had a better win/loss record against one of the top AFC teams of the 2000's, the Indianapolis Colts. Nix stated the Chargers beat the Colts by having bigger lines (both offense & defense). Nix stated he plans to build the team through the draft and mentioned that the Steelers have been successful that way. The Bills defense of the late 90's was awesome and we had some huge guys on defense at that time (which Nix was involved with Butler & AJ Smith for building the defense). CHIX beefed up the defense this year. Next year, you can bet the focus will be on the offense. When your team gives up nearly 170 rushing YPG, then you have no choice but to address it. 8 times last year, teams rushed for over 200 YPG, that's pathetic!!

Everyone hates it that it's been 11 years since we've been to the playoffs. With that said, fans should expect a good Bills team that not only makes it to the playoffs, but is a long-term playoff team like Chargers have been since Butler/Smith/Nix took over in SD. Donahoe tried building a quick playoff team through FA and failed.

Good post.

Try 38 catches for 578 yards. Maybe his 44 catches for 610 yards the year before was more impressive for you. We don't need Lee Evans!!!!! Any Tom, Dick, or Harry WR in the NFL can get those numbers ALOT easier than Evans did.

The Only thing Lee Evans was capable of doing is waiting the whole game for a safety to cheat off his deep assignment and burn pas the corner. It shows in Lee's yards per catch 15.6. That's a nice number. It's not so nice when it 3rd and long and you need someone who can catch the ball just short of the sticks and make A play.

When Donald Jones, Parrish, Easley or whoever cream Evan's stats this year maybe you will stop your whining. I can almost guarantee whoever are other starting WR is will have more yards than Evans just by wiling to do run the routes that Evans wouldnt.

This statement here sez it all!!!! I try to stop but you pulled me back in...Why do you assume that just because you have a new toy its better than the one you just got rid of???? Haven't you learned anything from past moves by OBD?? Let's see L Walker- J peters; C Brown or Green (whatever he made me Blue...LOL)and so many other replacements for past starters. I won't put them all on Chanix watch but the bean-counters are the same. Hey I wish for the best but reality has set in with this org, the 50 yr track record proves otherwise.

Some bash Evan because their assumption is that he's only a deep threat but by having over & under coverage slid to him allowed players like S Johnson the room to succeed (shown in the coaches tape at hlftime of this last game with C Brown). What amazes me is that fanatic complain that he's a one trick pony but damn he is a very good one. Here's a novel concept, instead of loading the team with gadget & KO returner (which seem fruitless with the new KO rules :thumbdown:) , how bout aquiring a power running game with timely play-action to utilize his talents off-set this with S Johnson abilities and there's something to get excited about...Now we have SJ being cast in a new roll (best of luck) sprinkled with unproven talent only makes a 25th ranked offense weaker IMHO.

For those that don't agree with this assessment and say that there isn't talent on this team worth resigning, and Ralph is cheap...then by your logic, the Bills shouldn't have resigned Kyle Williams, just because the Bills were 4-12 last year. So, Williams shouldn't have been resigned, plus there's no need to resign guys like Steve Johnson, Parrish, Fitzpatrick, Merriman, Wood, and Levitre. While we're at it, when it comes time for Dareus to be resigned, the Bills should just lose him to free agency. So screw keeping any good players and let's have the Bills do what Daniel Snyder does in DC every year and play fantasy football with the team, overpay over the hill free agents. :thumbdown::wallbash::censored:

So if you were the GM, you would just let young talent like Easley and David Nelson go, just to keep a guy that produced: 38 catches for 578 yards last year, and 44 catches for 610 yards the year before. That's brilliant... :censored::wallbash:

Your original post said they are trying to re-sign Parrish which means they chose him over Evans. Later you said they are avoiding small quick players from the Jauron era. :doh:

What are the highest paid positions on the team? QB and LT have to be two of the top 4. Our players either suck at those postions or at best are journeymen. That is why they are under the cap so much. If they had to shell out top money for these positions or top money for an elite CB or WR they would be right up there in payroll. McGee is well into his contract and we have no elite WR's.

Honestly who after Dareus and Williams would you pay top dollar for? Wood is injured an unproven at center. Jackson is old. Johnson may be a one year wonder. Byrd - who knows?

Your original post said they are trying to re-sign Parrish which means they chose him over Evans. Later you said they are avoiding small quick players from the Jauron era. :doh:

"Your original post said they are trying to re-sign Parrish which means they chose him over Evans." They chose Parrish over Evans? Really?! When did Nix & Gailey come out and say this? When did anyone from the Bills state this? Basically, this is your opinion, not a fact. Nix & Gailey stated they wanted to give the younger players a shot, meaning players like David Nelson, Marcus Easley and Donald Jones. Evans' stats over the last 2 years don't lie. But you'll come up with a million excuses for the guy.

Parrish was an afterthought in the Jauron era. Last year, before Parrish went on IR, he was outproducing Evans. The small, quick players I was referring to were the Tampa 2 defensive players like McCargo, Ellison, Corner, Triplett, Youboty, McKelvin. Jauron was fascinated with small, speedy players, didn't have the team prepared to start the season and the Bills led the league in players ending on IR during the Dickie J era. While I liked Levy a lot for his coaching abilities, his tenure as GM was absolutely horrible. First off, he hired a HC that had a miserable HC record. Second, how in the hell do you pass up on Ngata and take Whitner instead? Then, try and address the DT position and grab a "smaller, quicker" DT in McCargo?

What are the highest paid positions on the team? QB and LT have to be two of the top 4. Our players either suck at those postions or at best are journeymen. That is why they are under the cap so much. If they had to shell out top money for these positions or top money for an elite CB or WR they would be right up there in payroll. McGee is well into his contract and we have no elite WR's.

Honestly who after Dareus and Williams would you pay top dollar for? Wood is injured an unproven at center. Jackson is old. Johnson may be a one year wonder. Byrd - who knows?

Wood is injured? When did this happen?

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Sorry, but signing players for future seasons is not a good reason to get rid of Lee Evans THIS season. You can't say they need to clear money now because Wood and Levitre need extensions in two years ... that's ridiculous. (Not to mention, Levitre may or may not even start this season ... why are we worrying about extending him yet?)

Two years ago, Lee Evans was one of those key players that signed to an extension ... so where does it stop? In two years, are you going to tell me they needed to trade Kyle Williams because Dareus had to be extended? What's the difference between Lee Evans in 2011 and Stevie Johnson or Kyle Williams in 2013?

No one hates Pittsburgh more than I do (the teams, not the city), but don't compare what the Bills are doing to the Steelers. First of all, the Steelers "key" players are just flat out much better. Second, they sign their good players and KEEP THEM, they don't cut or trade them two years later to make room for the next "key" player .... that's an endless cycle of mediocrity.

But maybe I am nuts ... Show me the last time the Steelers cut or traded a starter to make room for an extension for a backup like Roscoe Parrish ... I doubt you can do it.

lee evans is over rated

JJ, I completely agree with you. CHIX has been doing a complete overhaul of the roster from Dickie J & Marv. http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/9/4/2403478/buffalo-bills-roster-2011-buddy-nix-chan-gailey

"Now that yesterday's roster cuts have sunk in, it's time to update those numbers: of the 53 players currently on Buffalo's roster, 40 are players that Nix and Gailey have either acquired themselves, or inherited players that they've made serious commitments to."

People forget that Nix helped transform the Chargers from a 1-15 team to a consistent playoff team, that had a better win/loss record against one of the top AFC teams of the 2000's, the Indianapolis Colts. Nix stated the Chargers beat the Colts by having bigger lines (both offense & defense). Nix stated he plans to build the team through the draft and mentioned that the Steelers have been successful that way. The Bills defense of the late 90's was awesome and we had some huge guys on defense at that time (which Nix was involved with Butler & AJ Smith for building the defense). CHIX beefed up the defense this year. Next year, you can bet the focus will be on the offense. When your team gives up nearly 170 rushing YPG, then you have no choice but to address it. 8 times last year, teams rushed for over 200 YPG, that's pathetic!!

Everyone hates it that it's been 11 years since we've been to the playoffs. With that said, fans should expect a good Bills team that not only makes it to the playoffs, but is a long-term playoff team like Chargers have been since Butler/Smith/Nix took over in SD. Donahoe tried building a quick playoff team through FA and failed.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Great post!!

lee evans is over rated

+1

There are some things that winning teams have in common: Good coach, great quarterback. What was Bellicek before Brady came along? Nearly all the New England coaches have failed to excel in their new posts because they are lacking Tom Brady. The Colts are gonna suck if they don't have Peyton Manning. The Packers got to the Super Bowl with who? Don Majkowski? Lynn Dickey? No. Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers. We got to the Super Bowl with uh, Jim Kelly.

The Steelers win with Bradshaw and Roethlisberger.

We were gonna take Roethlisberger but Pittsburgh snapped him up. That ship has sailed.

I trust that Nix/Gailey have the right concept in place, and the best quarterback for the present time is Fitzpatrick. They chose Dareus over Gabbert. No brainer, if you've seen the guy play. Game changer.

There is an Andrew Luck sweepstakes, but I predict that he will not go to the team with the worst record in football. Somebody will step up and do a trade similar to the Herschel Walker/Ricky Williams type deals, and trade about 10 picks to get Andrew Luck. Maybe it will be Buffalo. Maybe this is the year they build the team so that they don't need an entire draft next year. Just one pick. Trade the whole draft for Luck and move on.

Maybe Luck will get hurt and this will all be a moot point.

I'm ready for the Chefs. Bring it, Bills.

No I do not. But I also do not buy the premise of the OP that the current lack of spending is a plan to resign existing players in the future either. Your premise, that they can't find players that will sign with the Bills in order to spend the money makes much more sense in my opinion.

Your remarks are similar to many others that pop up on this or that thread in that they posit that the Bills FO is constantly cutting big payroll as part of a grand strategy to keep costs low even when it negatively impacts the on-field product. In other words, the front office (or the Detroit bean counters) makes its decisions in light of the financial aspect, quality be damned so long as it's "cheap enough."

This premise, however, doesn't stand up to even cursory scrutiny. One example is the constantly-berated Chris Kelsay. If it was all a matter of who's less expensive, he'd be gone and any of several other players (Antonio Coleman for example) would be satisfactory in terms of saving money. They also would not have signed Brad Smith, Nick Barnett or Kirk Morrison when they had much cheaper alternatives already under contract. And was Ruvell Martin cheaper than Namaan Roosevelt? Or how about Drayton Florence's new contract? Or Merriman's fairly generous overall deal? If all that mattered was the costs and not the product, none of them would be on the roster.

Your remarks are similar to many others that pop up on this or that thread in that they posit that the Bills FO is constantly cutting big payroll as part of a grand strategy to keep costs low even when it negatively impacts the on-field product. In other words, the front office (or the Detroit bean counters) makes its decisions in light of the financial aspect, quality be damned so long as it's "cheap enough."

This premise, however, doesn't stand up to even cursory scrutiny. One example is the constantly-berated Chris Kelsay. If it was all a matter of who's less expensive, he'd be gone and any of several other players (Antonio Coleman for example) would be satisfactory in terms of saving money. They also would not have signed Brad Smith, Nick Barnett or Kirk Morrison when they had much cheaper alternatives already under contract. And was Ruvell Martin cheaper than Namaan Roosevelt? Or how about Drayton Florence's new contract? Or Merriman's fairly generous overall deal? If all that mattered was the costs and not the product, none of them would be on the roster.

Several very inconvenient facts for the "Ralph is cheap" crowd to explain.

I'm not one of the negative nancies, however I don't think they are saving THAT much cap space just to resign players. That's way more than needed.

What I don't understand is why the Bills don't seem to use all resources available to address the offensive line on this team. Stupid.

For the doom & bloomers out there that say Ralph is cheap, Ralph is getting ready to sell the team, go get a straw and suck it up already!!

The real reason why the Bills are cost cutting now is because they are freeing up cap money to resign key players. Parrish's contract is being worked on. Stevie Johnson is in his last year of his contract. Depending on how Fitz does, he will either get a long term contract extension or just a journeyman offer. After this year, I think Wood & Levitre have 2 years left on their contracts, so they will need extensions as well. So if the Bills spend to the cap like some fans want them to, then how in the he'll are they going to be able to resign the key players that I just mentioned?

Nix said he wants to spend the big bucks on resigning their own players and not spend it on high profile players. That philosophy has been working for the Steelers, so I have no problem with that.

Gloomers....damn auto correct!!!!

OK then genius, why in the heck are we waiting to get the deals done, right in the middle of the season?

They could have easily done it LONG before this since we were $20 million under the salary cap. I am SO SELLING this idea we're saving it ALL to resign key players. SELL!

Probably due to the lockout.