Patriots struck out

Typical reply here at tsw. The Pats do it and it makes sense. They admit they made a mistake. The Bills do the exact same thing (Maybin, Hardy, et. al.) and it's not admitting that a mistake was made, it's more like they gave up too soon or whatever. "Well unlike the Bills..."

What an eye-roller...

DING !!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We aren't in a position to be making Patriot comparisons. Their decisions are based on a SuperBowl caliber team loaded with depth and coming off drafts where they had multiple high draft round choices and trades to bring in name players as contributors. Hence they are going to cut players who aren't playoff caliber players without looking back.

We on the other hand have NO depth on our offensive line (and not much in the way of starters) have had multiple losing seasons, have been inactive in trades and free agency for the most part and seem to have given up hope on even a winning season.

We have to start winning and get to nine wins before we are going to be in the same league with the Patriots and Jets, and we have to beat the two of them to get to the playoffs.

We aren't in a position to be making Patriot comparisons. Their decisions are based on a SuperBowl caliber team loaded with depth and coming off drafts where they had multiple high draft round choices and trades to bring in name players as contributors. Hence they are going to cut players who aren't playoff caliber players without looking back.

We on the other hand have NO depth on our offensive line (and not much in the way of starters) have had multiple losing seasons, have been inactive in trades and free agency for the most part and seem to have given up hope on even a winning season.

We have to start winning and get to nine wins before we are going to be in the same league with the Patriots and Jets, and we have to beat the two of them to get to the playoffs.

How are we every going to improve if we don'r address these positions? I understand that they (Pats) are a much more attractive free agent market. We need to start drafting tackles early; enough of this first-round RB ****.

Not every good team is a result of glamorous free agents.

How are we every going to improve if we don'r address these positions? I understand that they (Pats) are a much more attractive free agent market. We need to start drafting tackles early; enough of this first-round RB ****.

Not every good team is a result of glamorous free agents.

Actually good teams come from good drafts (which we haven't done) good trades (which we haven't done) and good free agent moves (which we haven't done). I agree that we should have picked offensive tackles, and have pretty much opined that the early draft choices should have been offensive and defensive linemen where our real problems were. We have, I think, addressed the defensive line problem.

I was reading an article about the Patriots signing Waters and I found this little tidbit at the very end to be fascinating:

By releasing Meriweather, who signed with the Bears on Sunday, the team has no remaing players from those drafted in 2007.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821f4869/article/patriots-agree-to-terms-with-veteran-pro-bowl-g-waters?module=HP11_headline_stack

After the Meriweather pick, they didn't have another pick until round 4.

The purpose of my post wasn't to try and paint the Patriots as a bad team. Clearly, for the last decade they've been light years ahead of the Bills.

What I find odd is that they've been successful despite drafting relatively poorly. Bellichick is jizzed on by the media for all his draft trades and pick hording. Yet, as somone on another forum pointed out "Between 2006 and 2008, the New England Patriots drafted 26 players. Of those 26, only 3 are still on the team. 3 out of 26."

The Bills have had some stinkers but even they have done better than 3 for 26. Where Belichick does excel is in turning other teams trash into treasure.

KELSAY

1. They extended Jauron and kept him when they shouldnt have

2. They drafted Maybin, thats bad enough

3. They didnt cut McCargo after they couldt trade him, and they let him play out his contract for another 2 years

4. Corner was not a mistake. He was a decent 4th round pick.

5. They started Edwards last year.

I'll give you Kelsey for the fact that he has been a dissapoint to say the least hut he is a captain and plays average. Not worth his money but average to say the least. I do agree with you though.

1. They extended Dick at the same point when they were 5-1 and even professional sports media outlets had us rated very highly in tuier rankings. Edwards was looking like a true starter. We were not only calling for playoffs at that point, we were planning out our home playoff tailgate parties. For the first time in a very long time it felt like it was all going to end. And by firing Dick it was proof we made a mistake.

2. Maybin was a mistake and another bust of a player from a terrible regime of Dick and Marv. Unfortunately for you, you can't claim it was so horrible as Maybin was still projected to be a 1st rounder. One can argue that we didn't pick up another player but at the time Maybin was looked at as a very raw talent that might be dominant as a pass rusher in the league by many professional media outlets. Regardless what we all thought of him, the pros saw something different.

3. McCargo was another bust of a 1st rounder however he was something the team needed at the time. A big man in the middle of the line. He didn't work out, we tried to get rid of him and couldn't. They should have just cut him and ate thier losses your right. Unfortunately we were so banged up in the Dick years that we needed all the players we could get. 2 times we led the league with players on IR. I'll give you this one but with an asterisk.

4. Corner wasn't half bad but he wasn't even average. I'll give you another one but only admitting Corner was average.

5. What else were they gonna do. At one point Cinco led the team to a 5-1 record and looked lime he would be the next franchise QB of the team regardless of what you claim you knew about him from the start. The fact is he started off looking really good, was getting praise around the league as a legitamate starter.

The thing is, with almost all these points you were so quick to judge they stem back to one key thing. Dick Fu&?ing Jauron!!! He's not here anymore. We have a new coach and GM that is now given the task to eliminate all the horrible decisions from the last regime and the ones before that in Mularkey. The past 2 coaching positions were held by probably two of the worst head coaches in the history of our franchise and the horrible play showed that. Jauron showed at times that if he could just get a healthy squad on the field maybe he could get it done but never succeeded. I don't blame the org for being proactive and signing him long term at the time and I don't scould them for getting rid of him either. If anything it shows the "Ralph is cheap crowd" they are wrong about Ralph. He was willing to pay a decent contract to a still unknown coach with potential upside and were afraid to fire his @ss when they realized it was a mistake. Trent was given the chance by Gailey based on the fact that Dick was a horrible coach and may e he didn't know what he was doing and Trents 5-1 start a few seasons ago. What else was he gonna do? If he didnt play Trent and see for himself and cut him and Trent went on the Oakland or the Jags or some other team and succeeded you would have been burning Gailey for doing his due diligence for making sure himself.

For the first time in years they REALLY addressed thier needs in the offseason. Yes we needed OLmen and some could argue QB but last year Fitz threw for 3k yards and 24 TDs in only 13 starts and as bad as some say our OL is/was they are basically the same group that got better as time went on last year and didn't get Fitz killed either. The fact is we were very poor (last in the league) in run D and second last in the league in D in general. We beefed up at almost every position on D regardless of need or not. Dareus was not only projected as the best DL in the draft he was a possible 1st pick overall. Williams was not only needed because McGee can't stay healthy he was also slotted where we drafted him. Shephard was another projected in rounds 2-3 and was another need for our LB core and lack of run D. We let go of 2 players that were underachieving for the past few years with Poz and Whitner and replaced them with better versions of them with the draft pick of Searcy and pick up of Barnett. We also added depth with Morrison and realized last year of our lack of pass rush when we picked up Merriman who islf he stays healthy it's clearly obviosly after a few preseason performances he's at least looking similar to his Lights Out performances with San Diego. We also drafted guys last year that needed to become healthy and progress and it's looked like it has worked out so far as Carrington has been a beast this offseason, Batten has played extremely well just like they predicted last year. Troupe is not only playing with a club he is at least average and a solid backup at a very strong position for us now after the resigning of Williams and rookie monster Dareus. This coaching staff has gotten much bigger on D over the past 2 years and most of us knew that Dickies "small, fast, high motor) guys were not real NFL starters.

For once in the past 10 years were getting it right. I know your a seasoned vet on this board and as a Bills fan but if you can't see some of these things and only look at the bad of rhe past of the organization then maybe you should turn in your retirement papers. It's times like this to be optomistic about the positive changes.

Upon further review, the Patriots have won 10 games each of the past 8 seasons, 101 in total. During that same span, Buffalo has a little more than half that, 51. You gotta love it when folks try to take the Pats down a notch and completely ignore how bad the Bills have been. But yes, one draft illustrates how much closer the Bills are to the Patriots level.

Doesn't mean I don't hate them, but man is this a stretch.

How bad the Bills have been has nothing to do with the patriots* piss poor drafting in recent years.

The purpose of my post wasn't to try and paint the Patriots as a bad team. Clearly, for the last decade they've been light years ahead of the Bills.

What I find odd is that they've been successful despite drafting relatively poorly. Bellichick is jizzed on by the media for all his draft trades and pick hording. Yet, as somone on another forum pointed out "Between 2006 and 2008, the New England Patriots drafted 26 players. Of those 26, only 3 are still on the team. 3 out of 26."

The Bills have had some stinkers but even they have done better than 3 for 26. Where Belichick does excel is in turning other teams trash into treasure.

Perhaps the '07 class just wasn't very good. Both the Bills and Pats struck out.

??? What mistakes are still on our roster???

PTR

The jury is still out on Buddy, but the regimes prior to him, just seemed to draft guys, and extend them, or let their contracts run out, even though, they were, essentially the same player they were the day they were drafted...they never showed any improvement....

I have nothing against Roscoe Parrish, kinda like him...but, in reality, he has done very little for a guy who is getting his third contract from the team. I know, he started out well, last year, but, like every year, he got hurt...again, not knocking him, and I don't mind him sticking around, but it is just odd, the randomness, sometimes, of who the Bills make a priority, and who they let go...

True, they haven't let any all-stars slip away, but they haven't really kept any either, and, so far, Steve Johnson is pretty much the only one they have grown, themselves, since Jason Peters. I think Gailey is a really good coach, and by that, I mean, a really strong teacher. So, I am optimistic that this trend will change.