Is morale low at One Bills Drive?

folz

I'm not as bummed about the Evans trade as some or most. Could we have gotten more? Probably but once word got out he was on the block it was going to be nothing but a distraction. I liked the guy but its not like we were going to the playoffs/SB this year with or with or without him.

I don't know if morale is low at OBD or not. We had a good draft but then the damn lockout and now a bunch of injuries. On top of that our joke of an OL is even more of a joke. That might have something to do with it.

What I dont get is this: Torbor goes down and they immediately sign Morrison. Ok well your LT isnt getting it done why not sign someone, hell anyone to see if they can "upgrade the football team" (as Buddy likes to say).

If its "cheapness" why did we sign an LB to replace Torbor? He's getting paid.....

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not as bummed about the Evans trade as some or most. Could we have gotten more? Probably but once word got out he was on the block it was going to be nothing but a distraction. I liked the guy but its not like we were going to the playoffs/SB this year with or with or without him.

I don't know if morale is low at OBD or not. We had a good draft but then the damn lockout and now a bunch of injuries. On top of that our joke of an OL is even more of a joke. That might have something to do with it.

What I dont get is this: Torbor goes down and they immediately sign Morrison. Ok well your LT isnt getting it done why not sign someone, hell anyone to see if they can "upgrade the football team" (as Buddy likes to say).

If its "cheapness" why did we sign an LB to replace Torbor? He's getting paid.....

I would rather believe it is "cheapness" rather than thinking we are actually improving the team as the latter, if true is a real problem. Could our GM be this senile?

What's funny is morale, at least around here, was pretty high following the draft. It looks like the combination of trading Lee, shafting Fred, and juggling the O-line without adding any talent to it, has taken it's toll, certainly with the fans, and possibly with the team.

If that demoralizes you then you probably have other issues to address.

we are in the middle of a 4 year turnaround. After 11 seasons of no playoffs we still are no closer. reality is crashing in on obd. no matter how well their crack marketing team tries to sell the '11 bills they are fighting an uphill battle.

Agreed...It's the Mt Everest of uphill battles... B-)

ive yet to see clear, hardcore evidence this franchise is trying to build a winning team. every few years its the same crap, team sucks, cant win, soo....hey lets get new uniforms, hey team sucks again, lets get new throwbacks to get the fans attention again, hey team sucks again big time, lets go out and sign T.O. to sell tickets and lets get white throwbacks and wear them twice, hey what do you know team sucks again....lets not draft for need lets draft the sexy player of the draft in spiller, ignoring the glaring needs of the team.....oh no, spiller sucks and team still sucks, hmmm...lets install a new field change the colors a little and get new uniforms cause sales took a huge hit....well teams gonna suck in 2011, so lets see what next year brings....thats TBD.

ive yet to see clear, hardcore evidence this franchise is trying to build a winning team. every few years its the same crap, team sucks, cant win, soo....hey lets get new uniforms, hey team sucks again, lets get new throwbacks to get the fans attention again, hey team sucks again big time, lets go out and sign T.O. to sell tickets and lets get white throwbacks and wear them twice, hey what do you know team sucks again....lets not draft for need lets draft the sexy player of the draft in spiller, ignoring the glaring needs of the team.....oh no, spiller sucks and team still sucks, hmmm...lets install a new field change the colors a little and get new uniforms cause sales took a huge hit....well teams gonna suck in 2011, so lets see what next year brings....thats TBD.

Did you watch the draft. Please spare me your ignorance. When he took over Buddy laid out his plan and he hasn't deviated from it.

1- He said we would build through the draft. That we wouldn't be a team likely to trade around our draft picks, but would always look to acquire more.

2- He said he's not looking to make big free-agent splashes and prefers to re-sign productive players.

3- He said the process would most likely take about 3 years and he understood that would frustrate people.

Last year they drafted for offense and those guys have yet to step up, but there's nothing that we can do about that. This year's draft was clearly predicated no fixing the defense and they have done that. The worst thing a franchise can do is hang on to and overpay players who has passed the prime of their careers, or never produced. We got rid of Whitner, Maybin and Evans this year because they were unlikely to surprise anyone with a productive year. I don't understand how 2 months ago people were saying we should get what we could for Lee, then turned around and acted like the sky was falling when we did.

Maybe. Maybe not. But the fact that you led with "WGR" tells you all you need to know. WGR...'nuff said.

Interesting point. Misery loves company. And wasnt the entire Brad Riter/WECK rampage about how everyone was leaving WGR because it was so horrible to work there?

As said by Kelly the Fair & Balanced Dog - a couple of wins & everything will be fine. Agreed - winning cures everything.

Remember Evans only had 4 TD's last year and remember he had 3 against the Ravens - no wonder they liked him. The problems his leaving causes the Bills (in no particular order): 1-He was a team leader; 2-He drew coverage away from Stevie & the other wideouts; 3-He stretched the field; 4-He was well liked.

The solutions to 1-4? 1-Someone needs to step up (rarely are WR's leaders); 2&3-Someone needs to prove themselves a deep threat & teams will pay more attention to them - right now, maybe it's Stevie who will draw the coverage and create openings for the others; 4-This will dissapate, it's a business and based on how much Evans was liked, no one wanted to trade him. Nix and Gailey were effusive in their praise ofLee the man. In 2-years, the move will be considered good, Lee is only getting older and his production last year wasn't stellar (it may not have been all his fault, but it still wasn't what we need).

I'm starting to like Chandler the TE - good blocker, big target and decent hands. A little slow, but manages separation and with his size may help in the red zone if we ever get there!

I hate to say it but it is what it is. We all still keep watching the Bills. I just wish I knew what the hell Nix is thinking.....

How about "I'm executing Ralph's order to increase cash flow as much as possible before he passes, knowing the sale value of the team for his heirs has nothing to do with its record."

First....I'm never a fan of trading draft picks. Second, spiller was not a need for this team that high of a draft pick. IMHO running backs are a dime a dozen these days. See chris johnson who wants to be the highest paid player in the league...won't happen. I get it takes a while for a team to get better....but its been 11 years guys. I like we got a deal done for williams, I like that a lot. My biggest concern is the OL and how its been ignored by the current regime....how are our young talented WR's gonna develope when we can't get them the ball? I understand patience...I've had 11 years of it and its wore very very thin. I do see some good things...defense looks a little better...but what I wanna see is some moves to make that OL better. If we keep ignoring it we will not win. This teams by far and I mean BY FAR more then a 3 year project....

And about evans.....I know production was low past few years....but having how many different OC's and no legit QB getting him the ball will hamper his playing ability. Bottom line is...evans took coverage away from SJ....stevie even admitted to it. But time to move on....maybe that extra 4th can be used in a trade next years draft...I like all of you love my buffalo bills, we all have different views whether we like them or not....anyways...done posting...have to go buckle down for this biotch called irene....

Did you watch the draft. Please spare me your ignorance. When he took over Buddy laid out his plan and he hasn't deviated from it.

1- He said we would build through the draft. That we wouldn't be a team likely to trade around our draft picks, but would always look to acquire more.

2- He said he's not looking to make big free-agent splashes and prefers to re-sign productive players.

3- He said the process would most likely take about 3 years and he understood that would frustrate people.

Last year they drafted for offense and those guys have yet to step up, but there's nothing that we can do about that. This year's draft was clearly predicated no fixing the defense and they have done that. The worst thing a franchise can do is hang on to and overpay players who has passed the prime of their careers, or never produced. We got rid of Whitner, Maybin and Evans this year because they were unlikely to surprise anyone with a productive year. I don't understand how 2 months ago people were saying we should get what we could for Lee, then turned around and acted like the sky was falling when we did.

This. Instant gratification and the 24 hour news cycle, while being old saws to rail against, are certainly the biggest factors in all of the doom and gloom talk around here and everywhere else. All of a sudden the franchise is "doomed" and Buddy Nix is incompetent, even though he's doing exactly what he said he was going to do. I've said this many times-- I'm not a Pollyanna for this team, but this type of talk and attitude is only justified if it's November and we're 2-7.

BTW, nice name/avatar Irish :thumbsup:

What's funny is morale, at least around here, was pretty high following the draft. It looks like the combination of trading Lee, shafting Fred, and juggling the O-line without adding any talent to it, has taken it's toll, certainly with the fans, and possibly with the team.

The biggest reason, though, has been the play of the first-team offense in the preseason. Everything you mentioned would have been forgiven had they looked even close to competent.

How about "I'm executing Ralph's order to increase cash flow as much as possible before he passes, knowing the sale value of the team for his heirs has nothing to do with its record."

Good point. New owners always think they can do a better job of stocking a team, so having a bad record is not a deterant to buyers.

The biggest reason, though, has been the play of the first-team offense in the preseason. Everything you mentioned would have been forgiven had they looked even close to competent.

I understand that. I truly do. Offense, especially the offensive line, is the one group that benefits most from time together. Missing OTAs and mini-camps adversely affected more than just UDFAs as most journalists would have you believe. The fact is, in getting larger up front, we essentially assured that only 2 players on the O-line would be returning to their old positions-Bell and Levitre. Urbik and Rhinehart haven't had a full offseason with the team, as they were mid-season acquisitions. The O-line is BOUND to look terrible this early in the year for that fact alone. Bell's play has been poor and that has created even more instability. You think this is the same old bad team? Look at the depth chart from 09. The year before Nix as GM and Chan as HC. I put stars next to the players currently starting for us at the same position.

QB- Trent Edwards, Fitz, Hamdan

RB- Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson, Dominick Rhodes

WR- Evans, TO, Josh Reed, Parrish

LT- *Bell, Chambers

LG- *Rookie Levitre

C- Geoff Hangartner

RG- Rookie Wood (went on IR)

RT- Langston Walker, Butler

TE- Derek Fine, Nelson, Schouman

DE- Denney, Kelsay,

DE- Schobel,

DT- Stroud, Johnson

DT- *Williams, McCargo

ILB- Pos, Thomas, Buggs

OLB- Ellison, Corto, Bowen

OLB- Mitchell, Palmer, Nic Harris

CB- *McGee, Harris,

CB- *McKelvin, Youboty

CB- *Florence, Langster

SS- Whitner, Wilson

FS- Ko Simpson, Bryan Scott

We have exactly 2 player on offense returning at their position as opposed to TWO years ago and that may become ZERO if Levitre replaces Bell at LT.

On D we have 4 people returning at their positions. Those 4 are playing, solid football.

All I'm saying is. PLEASE, give the FO the benefit of the doubt. There have been a LOT of changes and I think they're almost all for the best.

This. Instant gratification and the 24 hour news cycle, while being old saws to rail against, are certainly the biggest factors in all of the doom and gloom talk around here and everywhere else. All of a sudden the franchise is "doomed" and Buddy Nix is incompetent, even though he's doing exactly what he said he was going to do. I've said this many times-- I'm not a Pollyanna for this team, but this type of talk and attitude is only justified if it's November and we're 2-7.

i have to respectfully disagree. if anything, buffalo fans have proven to be overly patient. we've tolerated over a decade of mismanagement yet continue to support the team.

it's the endless rebuilding rhetoric that i can't tolerate. we've waited seemingly forever for this team to improve. i don't expect them to turn it around overnight, but that's been the excuse for years. at some point, the team actually has to start getting better.

i understand your point about waiting until november and think it's fair. we have to see how the season plays out. but what is a satisfactory result at the end of this season? 3 wins? 5? 8? what does it say about us as fans and the team we love that a 6 win season is likely considered a success?

i hope that buddy was right with the evans move. if, however, wr becomes yet another "need" on the team going into next year's draft, then he deserves to be skewered again.

Edited by Dirtbag

I understand that. I truly do. Offense, especially the offensive line, is the one group that benefits most from time together. Missing OTAs and mini-camps adversely affected more than just UDFAs as most journalists would have you believe. The fact is, in getting larger up front, we essentially assured that only 2 players on the O-line would be returning to their old positions-Bell and Levitre. Urbik and Rhinehart haven't had a full offseason with the team, as they were mid-season acquisitions. The O-line is BOUND to look terrible this early in the year for that fact alone. Bell's play has been poor and that has created even more instability. You think this is the same old bad team? Look at the depth chart from 09. The year before Nix as GM and Chan as HC. I put stars next to the players currently starting for us at the same position.

QB- Trent Edwards, Fitz, Hamdan

RB- Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson, Dominick Rhodes

WR- Evans, TO, Josh Reed, Parrish

LT- *Bell, Chambers

LG- *Rookie Levitre

C- Geoff Hangartner

RG- Rookie Wood (went on IR)

RT- Langston Walker, Butler

TE- Derek Fine, Nelson, Schouman

DE- Denney, Kelsay,

DE- Schobel,

DT- Stroud, Johnson

DT- *Williams, McCargo

ILB- Pos, Thomas, Buggs

OLB- Ellison, Corto, Bowen

OLB- Mitchell, Palmer, Nic Harris

CB- *McGee, Harris,

CB- *McKelvin, Youboty

CB- *Florence, Langster

SS- Whitner, Wilson

FS- Ko Simpson, Bryan Scott

We have exactly 2 player on offense returning at their position as opposed to TWO years ago and that may become ZERO if Levitre replaces Bell at LT.

On D we have 4 people returning at their positions. Those 4 are playing, solid football.

All I'm saying is. PLEASE, give the FO the benefit of the doubt. There have been a LOT of changes and I think they're almost all for the best.

I agree entirely. Can't fix everything at once. I was merely trying to explain the reason that fans seem so down. Typically, whatever has happened most recently sets the mood. Most recently, the offense has looked really really bad in the preseason. If the Bills orchestrate a long scoring drive to begin the game against the Chiefs, that will set the mood and nobody will even remember the preseason.