Scouts Inc rates Luck a 99

deep2evans

Someone has to solidify the LT spot, and Bell just isn't going to cut it. We have to try to find a solid LT, and if he doesn't get a full shot, we won't know. Splitting time doesn't help at all...

Which is it that you want? You don't like Gailey making changes, then you want him to make changes. You're your own problem.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As much as I want the Bills to win this year (like I do every year), if there was ever a time to have a dismal season, like last year or worse, it would be 2011. Luck is arguably the most highly regarded college prospects of all time, if not number one, then he's definitely on the same level as Manning or Elway when they entered the draft. I like Jones and Barkley a lot and I think they have the potential to have great careers, but the thought of having a Peyton Manning-like Quarterback to run our offense for the next 15 years is very thought provoking.

Not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that's a decision he has to make before declaring for the 2012 draft (which, because of the remaining eligibility, he will have to do if he wants to be drafted in 2012). Once he declares, his NCAA eligibility is over, and whichever team drafts him retains his rights - even if he doesn't sign right away.

IOW, he'll know who has the #1-overall pick before the deadline to declare - he can certainly make an intelligent guess as to whether or not that team needs a QB and will draft him (although he has no control over the team trading the pick to another team), but he can't declare and then decide he rather play another year at Stanford if he doesn't' like the city/team that ends up with his NFL rights. (Of course, he could simply hold out indefinitely in an attempt to force a trade.)

The one thing it seems folks chose to overlook is, what if he and Stanford both suck in 2011? (I still think Landry Jones will be the #1-overall pick, especially after an undefeated Oklahoma wins the BCS championship.)

Currently rated #1, largely because of Jones. We will be drafting a QB with franchise potential April 2012. Maybe Miami will be too.

Currently rated #1, largely because of Jones. We will be drafting a QB with franchise potential April 2012. Maybe Miami will be too.

Your comment made me think of something: what if the 2012 draft turns out to be just like the 1983 draft, both the Bills and Dolphins land their franchise QB's and the rivalry is rekindled just like the early 1990's? How great would that be? Although, if Miami could swing and miss on another QB they drafted then that'd be great too.

Your comment made me think of something: what if the 2012 draft turns out to be just like the 1983 draft, both the Bills and Dolphins land their franchise QB's and the rivalry is rekindled just like the early 1990's? How great would that be? Although, if Miami could swing and miss on another QB they drafted then that'd be great too.

Sounds like you can't lose. Win win.

There were as many swings and misses as hits in the 1983 draft.

Elway went #1 overall and was a Hall of Famer.

Todd Blackledge went #7 and he sucked.

Kelly went #14 and he was a Hall of Famer.

Tony Eason went #15 and he was average.

Ken O'Brien went #24 and he was pretty decent

Dan Marino went #27 and he was great.

Pretty much every other one.

People always talk about the 1983 draft as the year of the QB. It was a great draft all around. Eric Dickerson went #2. Also drafted in the first round were Chris Hinton. Bruce Matthews, Leonard Smith, Joey Browner, Gill Byrd (Jairus' dad), Jim Jeffcoat, and Darrell Green. At least three other Hall of Fame caliber players in Dickerson, Matthews and Green.

This Andrew Luck topic is invariably where you refer to him dismissively as "Andy."

Yes, well it should be pointed out that your intense, forensic case of chronic Andy-worship may stem from the fact that you live in the Church of St. Andrew, and that your weekly Sunday Church Bulletins are the Andy-worship-laced Sunday sports pages of the San Jose Mercury Snooze and the San Francisco Comical. B-)

1- We won't be drafting 1st overall we are easily a 5-7 win team this season anyway we won't be drafting in the top 5. (Personally have them pegged for 7-9)

2- Lets see how Luck preforms this season the guy is an epic prospect but the longer you stay in the limelight the more people see the warts. Trust me the hype will go down, even thought he will likely go 1st overall its hard to see this best QB prospect ever hype lasting the more game action he sees the more likely a flaw to his game will be exposed.

whoa whoa whoa... you don't belong on this board man.

what's up with this logical, reasonable, measured response?

5-7 wins? impossible. we're going 0-16.

luck isn't the best football player in the history of organized sporting competition who will undoubtedly go the slot before us in the draft, and SOMEHOW end up in either miami, new york or new england, and torment us for the next 15 years?

incredible, and, quite frankly, very hard to believe.

It would be terrible. We should get the next Manning and they should get the next Leaf :devil:

I still have no idea what yours or anyone's problem is with Andrew Luck. It's not his fault there is so much hype, he certainly doesn't seem to be a publicity hog, just the opposite in fact. And I have yet to see you say anything about any flaw in his game. I have seen him a ton. He's an incredible player, and doesn't seem to have any obvious weaknesses. Please tell me what you see that isn't high quality in his actual game.

You're absolutely right, KFBD - not Luck's fault at all that he's so revered (but even still, the incessant worship is no less annoying), and I don't dislike him - not at all - I'm just amused by the hype. And neither can I claim to find glaring fault with any aspect of his game (although I don't watch every Stanford game).

I would be more convinced of his inevitable deity, however, if

1) He continues to play at a high level after losing his O-line and several key offensive weapons;

2) He continues to play at a high level after losing his coach and mentor, Jim Harbaugh;

3) He demonstrates his apparent offensive prowess for more than 15 or 16 college games;

4) He demonstrates his apparent offensive prowess against teams other than PAC-10, WAC, and Big Sky powerhouses like San Jose State (1-12), Arizona State (6-6), Sacramento State (6-5), UCLA (4-8), Washington State (2-10), etc.

In all likelihood, barring the Bills trading up, he will be gone in the 2012 draft long before the Bills get to the podium, as will Landry Jones.

Given USC's situation (probation, no post-season bowls, etc.), young Matt Barkley may also choose to enter the 2012 draft - can't say I've watched him at all, but I'd guess he'll be available when the Bills pick in mid-to-late in round one. Steve Clarkson, considered one of the premier QBs coaches in the nation, has apparently described Barkley as a cross between Joe Montana and Tom Brady...

In February 2008, when Barkley committed to the Trojans as a high school junior, Clarkson told SI.com's Arash Markazi that Barkley was "on track to be the greatest quarterback I've ever worked with ... We're actually working on pro stuff because that's where his mind-set it. He's now training at two levels above his peers."

At the time, it seemed like typical recruiting hyperbole. But then Barkley stepped onto the USC campus last spring and exceeded the coaches' wildest expectations. By Barkley's fifth practice, Carroll realized he was dealing with a rare phenomenon.

"He shouldn't have been able to do the things we saw him doing," said Carroll, whose previous USC quarterbacks include two Heisman winners (Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart) and a top five draft pick (Mark Sanchez). "We have a quarterback that's unusual. He's so far ahead of the curve, that it's hard to predict what he's going to be able to do."

(link)

The 'SoCal stigma' aside, it sounds like Matt Barley would look darned good in Bills' blue!

So you can see, despite all the nonsensical Andrew Luck hyperbole and lofty claims of St. Andy being a 'once-in-a-lifetime' QB prospect, that only holds true until the next 'once-in-a-lifetime' QB prospect emerges from the shadows.

(Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden - whom I'd also like to see the Bills select - will probably be there for us in round 2 of the 2012 draft, maybe even round 3.)

Edited by The Senator

whoa whoa whoa... you don't belong on this board man.

what's up with this logical, reasonable, measured response?

5-7 wins? impossible. we're going 0-16.

luck isn't the best football player in the history of organized sporting competition who will undoubtedly go the slot before us in the draft, and SOMEHOW end up in either miami, new york or new england, and torment us for the next 15 years?

incredible, and, quite frankly, very hard to believe.

So should the Bills try to win 6 games, or Suck for Luck.....

I honestly believe that there's no possible way that the Bills will finish with the worst record next year. Our only shot at getting him would be if we A. traded up or B. got the 2nd or 3rd overall pick and hope the teams in front of us pass for some odd reason. You all should pay more attention to guys like Landry Jones, Matt Barkley, Ryan Tannehill or Ryan Lindley, those are your more realistic options.
As much as I want the Bills to win this year (like I do every year), if there was ever a time to have a dismal season, like last year or worse, it would be 2011. Luck is arguably the most highly regarded college prospects of all time, if not number one, then he's definitely on the same level as Manning or Elway when they entered the draft. I like Jones and Barkley a lot and I think they have the potential to have great careers, but the thought of having a Peyton Manning-like Quarterback to run our offense for the next 15 years is very thought provoking.

Agreed. Good observations. That being said, I'd love it if the Bills landed Luck. Regardless, they should still be drafting high enough to land one of the several perceived "franchise" guys with their 1st Round pick in 2012. Then go O-line in Rounds 2 & 3.

You're absolutely right, KFBD - not Luck's fault at all that he's so revered (but even still, the incessant worship is no less annoying), and I don't dislike him - not at all - I'm just amused by the hype. And neither can I claim to find glaring fault with any aspect of his game (although I don't watch every Stanford game).

I would be more convinced of his inevitable deity, however, if

1) He continues to play at a high level after losing his O-line and several key offensive weapons;

2) He continues to play at a high level after losing his coach and mentor, Jim Harbaugh;

3) He demonstrates his apparent offensive prowess for more than 15 or 16 college games;

4) He demonstrates his apparent offensive prowess against teams other than PAC-10, WAC, and Big Sky powerhouses like San Jose State (1-12), Arizona State (6-6), Sacramento State (6-5), UCLA (4-8), Washington State (2-10), etc.

In all likelihood, barring the Bills trading up, he will be gone in the 2012 draft long before the Bills get to the podium, as will Landry Jones.

Given USC's situation (probation, no post-season bowls, etc.), young Matt Barkley may also choose to enter the 2012 draft - can't say I've watched him at all, but I'd guess he'll be available when the Bills pick in mid-to-late in round one. Steve Clarkson, considered one of the premier QBs coaches in the nation, describes Barkley as a cross between Joe Montana and Tom Brady...

In February 2008, when Barkley committed to the Trojans as a high school junior, Clarkson told SI.com's Arash Markazi that Barkley was "on track to be the greatest quarterback I've ever worked with ... We're actually working on pro stuff because that's where his mind-set it. He's now training at two levels above his peers."

At the time, it seemed like typical recruiting hyperbole. But then Barkley stepped onto the USC campus last spring and exceeded the coaches' wildest expectations. By Barkley's fifth practice, Carroll realized he was dealing with a rare phenomenon.

"He shouldn't have been able to do the things we saw him doing," said Carroll, whose previous USC quarterbacks include two Heisman winners (Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart) and a top five draft pick (Mark Sanchez). "We have a quarterback that's unusual. He's so far ahead of the curve, that it's hard to predict what he's going to be able to do."

(link)

The 'SoCal stigma' aside, it sounds like Matt Barley would look darned good in Bills' blue!

So you can see, despite all the Andrew Luck hyperbole and lofty claims of St. Andy being a 'once-in-a-lifetime' QB prospect, that only holds true until the next 'once-in-a-lifetime' QB prospect emerges from the shadows.

(Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden - whom I'd also like to see the Bills select - will probably be there for us in round 2 of the 2012 draft, maybe even round 3.)

Oh, I get it. And you're unconvinced, because you want to see something that couldn't possibly happen yet. You're unconvinced because Luck has only played two complete college seasons and is already one of the best pro prospects ever. And you're saying there are other guys the Bills should look at, using a scouting report before a player even played one college game.

Got it.

Bills are too dumb to get luck.

They will be in a close race with the likes of the Bengals, and win some meaningless late season game to blow the pick.

If somehow they manage to get the number one pick, there's a fair chance he would just stay in college, and do what Elway/Manning did and just go play somewhere else anyways.

Edited by NaPolian8693

Oh, I get it. And you're unconvinced, because you want to see something that couldn't possibly happen yet. You're unconvinced because Luck has only played two complete college seasons and is already one of the best pro prospects ever. And you're saying there are other guys the Bills should look at, using a scouting report before a player even played one college game.

Got it.

Not exactly - I posted the 2008 article from SI because I thought some others might find it of interest, but Barkley has pretty much the same playing experience as St. Andrew...

Matt Barkley

(And, btw, is a year younger - having played as a true freshman B-) )

Just sayin' the Bills might actually have a shot at drafting Barkley, which they won't with Luck, that's all - no need to get all unfair and unbalanced! :beer:

he was a redshirt as a true freshman??

Whoever gets him is instantly legitimate again. I would be shocked if he ends up in Buffalo. He will absolutely pull an Eli Manning. If you are the hottest QB prospect in 15 years, you are willingly going to come to the Buffalo Bills? Be serious.

Yeah, who would ever want to stay in that cloudy sinkhole of San Diego which will never turn it around and keep drafting in the top 5 for years to come. Poor Philip Rivers has never had a chance to play a meaningful game or have any talent around him, and Eli sure pulled a fast one and avoided that nightmare.

I agree that Luck will be better than Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russell and others. I would probably even root against the Bills in week 17 if it made the difference, but we will likely not be close, and will have to trade up to get him. Also remember that Quinn and Clausen and Locker were supposed to be top picks a year ahead of their draft, so things can change, but Luck seems pretty clear to be a star.

But rooting for the #1 pick as strategy before the season starts is pretty silly. I definitely want this team to be 1-0, then we can worry about game 2. Our O-Line is the same guys from last year and not the train wreck people think. Our defense is better, Fitz is getting a chance to settle in, CJ is going to take a step forward.

I really have a tough time understanding the rationale for thinking this team is worse than the one that finished 4-4 after figuring out who their QB was, after Wood and Bell got closer to full speed off their injuries, and after settling in to the new schemes and coaching staff. Why does that same group adding Merriman and Dareus add up to being weaker? Because of a few series of starting players after no offseason workouts?

I think this is a 7-9 team that I am hoping finds a way to over achieve and win 8 or 9 games and stay in this to the end. This is a better team and better coaching than Jauron's 7-9 teams had, yet the gloom and doom of Norwood Post Traumatic Stress Disorder has everybody thinking we will somehow be a disaster.

I would love to have Andrew Luck, but I think he will not fall to the mid teens, and it will take a lot of picks to move up from there to the top slot, especially now that there isn't a $60-80 million contract involved with the top pick in the new CBA.

Go Bills!