You don't get it

Yoho

For some Bills fans rooting for the Bills and being optimistic is not an optional alternative. I am a Bills Fan. I have been so since 1960 when my World War II vet dad let me know how the original All America Football Conference screwed the Bills (the 2nd most successful franchise in the league) and accepted the Browns, the 49'ers and the Colts into the NFL and dropped the Bills. I have been a die hard ever since. I will be an optimist every year. I will find the silver lining in every cloud. I will hope that this year is the year that it all comes together. I am convinced that this year that Merriman, Williams and Dareus will turn this season around. I was convinced that Monte Ledbetter would turn the season around in the late 60's. For those of you that want to lament that we have not made the playoff for ten years and that the franchise will not turn around until the owner dies, the management changes or karma blesses us, you are missing out on the wonderful feeling of optimism that begins every season. Am I fooling myself? Maybe. But the great thing is I wont know until we see how it plays out and until then I am an optimist. I am one of the crazies that spends a large portion of my disposable income on Bills tickets. Guess what, it is people like me that have kept the Bills in Buffalo. So, forgive me for hoping for the best. Sorry for not doing the woe is me routine. If us optimists leave, the Bills are the Los Angeles Clippers.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some Bills fans rooting for the Bills and being optimistic is not an optional alternative. I am a Bills Fan. I have been so since 1960 when my World War II vet dad let me know how the original All America Football Conference screwed the Bills (the 2nd most successful franchise in the league) and accepted the Browns, the 49'ers and the Colts into the NFL and dropped the Bills. I have been a die hard ever since. I will be an optimist every year. I will find the silver lining in every cloud. I will hope that this year is the year that it all comes together. I am convinced that this year that Merriman, Williams and Dareus will turn this season around. I was convinced that Monte Ledbetter would turn the season around in the late 60's. For those of you that want to lament that we have not made the playoff for ten years and that the franchise will not turn around until the owner dies, the management changes or karma blesses us, you are missing out on the wonderful feeling of optimism that begins every season. Am I fooling myself? Maybe. But the great thing is I wont know until we see how it plays out and until then I am an optimist. I am one of the crazies that spends a large portion of my disposable income on Bills tickets. Guess what, it is people like me that have kept the Bills in Buffalo. So, forgive me for hoping for the best. Sorry for not doing the woe is me routine. If us optimists leave, the Bills are the Los Angeles Clippers.

I once believed in Santa Claus but then i turned 8 and reality sunk in. As long as Ralph owns this team it will be a Mickey Mouse run organization.( Sorry Mickey for the comparison)

YES!

Outstanding point of view. And no need to apologize for hoping for the best. Hard to believe there was a time when a positive outlook was a virtue.

I'm with you all the way on this thing, brother. Got too much invested to turn back now.

As the senator would say,

19-0 Baby!

GO BILLS!!!

I once believed in Santa Claus but then i turned 8 and reality sunk in. As long as Ralph owns this team it will be a Mickey Mouse run organization.( Sorry Mickey for the comparison)

As long as Ralph owns this team it will be in Buffalo, after that all bets are off. I will take Ralph and a Sunday afternoon at the Ralph then some LA owner and a So Cal tail gate any day of the week. You do realize that is the alternative right?

YAWN

How original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dge1E8OeQRc

I like your optimism and I share some of your beilefs but my tank is starting to run dry.

The only part I don't get is when you say if optimism leaves the bills are the clippers... I think they already are the clippers with an owner who cares more about money, a failure to retain homegrown talent, and a complete lack of playoff success and appearances.

Yeah

As long as Ralph owns this team it will be in Buffalo, after that all bets are off. I will take Ralph and a Sunday afternoon at the Ralph then some LA owner and a So Cal tail gate any day of the week. You do realize that is the alternative right?

You dont know that to be the end result for sure. Noone does...I would rather it be over with and lets get to the next phase of Bills football regardless of the future. Yrs of stupid decisions and terrible front office moves had hardened my feelings. Props to you for the patience and willingness to go through it longer. I go to 3 games a year regardless and support them but I would much rather move on and deal with it than keep putting it off. It is torture watching them both during the season and the offseason. What fun is it knowing ur undermanned both on the field and off it. I think Nix has a plan and he is sticking with it but in the end Wilson is the owner and something stupid will come from him and stop all progress. Its really past the time to have him own this team. Sooner or later we will have to face the truth might as well do it sooner and stop this farce of a NFL football team. Get someone who will run it right and stay if not oh well...I dont want them to move and I doubt they will the economy isnt there anywhere to build and pay for a Nfl franchise these days so my bet is they stay.

We are kindred spirits, Yoho.

I'm with you all the way… and it would take a huge catastrophe for me to not enjoy the season.

I'm expecting the Bills to take a big step towards respectability this year but hey, maybe I am delsusional. If I am, I don't care.

I'm a happy person, my life is good, and I love the Bills. None of that is gonna change.

I like your optimism and I share some of your beilefs but my tank is starting to run dry.

The only part I don't get is when you say if optimism leaves the bills are the clippers... I think they already are the clippers with an owner who cares more about money, a failure to retain homegrown talent, and a complete lack of playoff success and appearances.

If the Bills are the Clippers they are playing at 4 in the Rose Bowl. Please remember if Ralph Wilson wanted to leave Buffalo he has had every chance to do so and never did. See Bill Bidwell, Art Modell, Robert Irsay... etc. There is NOTHING about my favorite city of Buffalo that justifies an NFL franchise but the fans. If Ralph wanted an excuse, he had a million of them.

Didn't Ralph own the team during our Super Bowl years?

You can be optimistic and realistic at the same time.

There are a number of young players on this team that I hope to see improvement from. I won't go through the whole list, but there are tons of guys that can step up and develop into good players. I am optimistic that it will happen for at least a few of them.

However, this doesn't mean I think the Bills are Super Bowl contenders. That is not optimism, that is just being intentionally obtuse. Just because it is very obvious that the Bills are among the worst teams in the league doesn't mean you can't be optimistic about some facets of this season.

Let me start by saying I respect the opinion of the OP. Everyone is entitled to their own perspective and opinion. The differences of opinion are what make the board interesting. But I think it is funny how the term Optimist is misused on this board a lot. An Optimist is someone who looks at a situations and finds the most positive reasonable outcome. An optimist does not look at a piece of poop and see a chocolate cake. An optimist would look at the Bills and say, "well they addressed the defense so they should be better this year" He would not expect them to win the Superbowl, that is just plain stupid.

Didn't Ralph own the team during our Super Bowl years?

Yes he did. And he lucked into Bill Polian. He wouldnt go out and hire a bona fide Gm cuz he had just got burned By a bona fide coach in CHuck Knox. He hired the cheap and Polian knew what he was doing. Once he left it was all downhill and Wilson hasnt gotten lucky being cheap since. The track record speaks for itself...People lie numbers dont...Im not trying to start a argument I just have a strong opinion about it.If I come across as a jerk its not meant at you just the owner...

Edited by Stenbar