OL Help

26TrapDraw

OK I wonder if Gailey and Nix are hoping that a RT gets cut loose by a team as a " roster move". This kind of logic pisses me off and heres why. Ok they can get their hands on the player on the cheap because of release / looking for a job/ start of season and players urgency to play. Thats great. but what advantage does that give our team as the new player doesn't know our terminology, has'nt gelled with his linemates and will take till week 4 or 5 at best before he is comfortable on the line. Its that kind of bullcrap that will keep this team in the basement. you have 2 4ths, use them to trade for a player and get him in here asap. I swear the culture at one bills drive just sux monkey nuts.

Flame away

OK I wonder if Gailey and Nix are hoping that a RT gets cut loose by a team as a " roster move". This kind of logic pisses me off and heres why. Ok they can get their hands on the player on the cheap because of release / looking for a job/ start of season and players urgency to play. Thats great. but what advantage does that give our team as the new player doesn't know our terminology, has'nt gelled with his linemates and will take till week 4 or 5 at best before he is comfortable on the line. Its that kind of bullcrap that will keep this team in the basement. you have 2 4ths, use them to trade for a player and get him in here asap. I swear the culture at one bills drive just sux monkey nuts.

Flame away

Agreed. If you wanna Lose at football, hire Buddy Nix. The thing is, he could have fixed all this, but noo... Let's go with "our guys" He definately knows how to lose year in and out...

Flame away

Not to mention, the plan is asinine in that he is hoping that a team would, right before the season begins, cut a good player capable of contributing. Most NFL GM's aren't stupid, and there is no reason for them to do that. It's like hoping to find a nice executive suit in a thrift store, it's unlikely to happen.

For Nix to say he can't fix everything is a copout. If there was a year to fix everything, this would be it because of the expanded free agent class due to the new CBA. There were plenty of O-linemen out there who he could have signed. While he supposedly went after Clabo, it looks like they balked when they got into a slight bidding war with Atlanta.

Never mind the fact that Buffalo was in a much better position to win a bidding war due to Atlanta being much closer to the cap and needing to sign many of their own players. I still think 6 million a season for Clabo, with an extra 5 million guaranteed over the life of the deal would have got it done. If not, 6.5 definitely would have and would still be a decent rate for a Pro Bowl RT that would have given our offense exactly what we needed. While the 'Ralph is cheap' moniker gets mocked on these boards, I can't think of one other reason why we didn't bolster our O line.

Never mind the fact that Buffalo was in a much better position to win a bidding war due to Atlanta being much closer to the cap and needing to sign many of their own players. I still think 6 million a season for Clabo, with an extra 5 million guaranteed over the life of the deal would have got it done. If not, 6.5 definitely would have and would still be a decent rate for a Pro Bowl RT that would have given our offense exactly what we needed. While the 'Ralph is cheap' moniker gets mocked on these boards, I can't think of one other reason why we didn't bolster our O line.

Wasn't it rumored that they offered $7M per?

The only problem with 'slightly' over paying for a guy is you set a precedent.

As we all know the Bills have a few guys up for contracts/extensions this year.

And yes the Bills are frugal in there spending usually, and Ralph got talked into over paying not long ago for Dockery.

OL is in need of a few upgrades, seems to me the Bills have a pretty clear cut startegy. Fix the defense this off season.

Work on the O next. I will bet dollars to doughnuts they grab a tackle in next years draft in the first or second round.

Please keep this kind of information out of any kind of posts on this board, it has no place in these discussions. Just let them have teir tantrums in piece and complain about how bad the FO is and how they know that a player would have taken a certain amount and how it is only about the money. Please don't through things into the discussion like, "he accepted less to stay in Atlanta because he is familiar with that team, and would prefer not to have to uproot and move accross the country with his brand new family for an extra million or so.

Flame away

Is anyone around here really sold on Bell at LT? I think we should be in the market for 2 starting Ts, not just a RT.

Is anyone around here really sold on Bell at LT? I think we should be in the market for 2 starting Ts, not just a RT.

This is the problem with Bills fans. If a player is not in the pro bowl his first year, he sucks. Bell is developing nicely, and it would be utter stupidity to sign a journeyman and stunt his growth.

The great thing about what we are seeing with the Bills defense is that the side of the ball that was strongest last season (offense) has become the weakest and the weakest (defense) has become the strongest. What that means is that a few solid pieces can make a big difference. Though we all want a high speed turnaround, my gut tells me that the offensive line will be the focus in FA and the draft next year and that our two-year turnaround will be complete. This season, the OL is not giving me much hope, but I do see a plan in place that will make this team work in the long term. This is a vast difference from former regimes in the past decade and a half.

We don't actually know for sure what the terms of the Bill's offer was. The 7MM per originates on this message board and is not credible in the least. The "rumour" out of Atlanta at the time is that the stumbling block was duration of the contract. Falcon's offered three. Clabo wanted five. We offered five but the per annum and possibly the guaranteed portion of the K was otherwise the same. Falcon's chinned up to five rather than lose a pro bowl RT in his prime.

Had we offered 2 bucks more a year (from 5 to 7), and the Falcons not move, you can bet Clabo would be a Bill. Not saying thats what we should have done because thats a separate question. Also my guess that 6.5 would have done it, as has been suggested in an earlier post.

We don't actually know for sure what the terms of the Bill's offer was. The 7MM per originates on this message board and is not credible in the least. The "rumour" out of Atlanta at the time is that the stumbling block was duration of the contract. Falcon's offered three. Clabo wanted five. We offered five but the per annum and possibly the guaranteed portion of the K was otherwise the same. Falcon's chinned up to five rather than lose a pro bowl RT in his prime.

Had we offered 2 bucks more a year (from 5 to 7), and the Falcons not move, you can bet Clabo would be a Bill. Not saying thats what we should have done because thats a separate question. Also my guess that 6.5 would have done it, as has been suggested in an earlier post.

The fact that we offered more money for Clabo DID NOT originate on this board.

Well its pretty clear that we did offer more money. We obviously did not offer the same money for a longer committment (five instead of three years). The 7MM per originated on this board.

I think it originated in this link:

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/2011/7/29/2302107/nfl-free-agency-tyson-clabo-contract-falcons-bills

Some had pegged the Buffalo Bills offer as being in the neighborhood of $7 million per year, so it sounds like Clabo gave the Falcons a significant hometown discount.

Perhaps this blogger picked it up from this forum but this is the first place I remember seeing the $7m number.

GO BILLS!!!

Totally agree! You can't keep giving up on draft picks early on and then go with someone else. In the limited time Bell has played, he's shown a huge improvement. Will it continue or has he hit the wall?? No one knows but from what we've seen I'd think he could improve more. Will he be a pro-bowl caliper player, may not, but you don't need 5 all rpo linemen on the team either. If Bell were to become the weak link on the line, we'd be in great shape as that means the other four spots are real strong. In spite of everything going on with AL, I stil lthink we're in pretty good shape inside.

The other problem I have with this thread is who were all these players the Bills should have signed eariler?? Clabo we tried, didn't work, would offering more money helped, maybe? But it also may be felt that there isn't that much differnce betwen Pears and Clabo to justify the extra $$. The offenseive line was not the weak point of the team last year, the D was. We have the same core players back all with one more year experience. Barring injuries, I think the line can be effective.

This is the problem with Bills fans. If a player is not in the pro bowl his first year, he sucks. Bell is developing nicely, and it would be utter stupidity to sign a journeyman and stunt his growth.

I think it originated in this link:

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/2011/7/29/2302107/nfl-free-agency-tyson-clabo-contract-falcons-bills

Perhaps this blogger picked it up from this forum but this is the first place I remember seeing the $7m number.

GO BILLS!!!

OK thank-you. If we did offer 7 I think we did all that we should have.