How the 1st team D lined up

bills_red

Here is how we lined up last night with the 1st team D.

1st Play

Kelsay - Dareus - Williams - Edwards

Barnett - Davis - Merriman

McGee - Byrd - Wilson - McKelvin

Kelsay had his hand down. Merriman was lined up right by Edwards hand up. Barnett and Davis 5 yards from LOS shifted a bit to the left side. George Wilson comes up late behind Edwards/Merriman.

2nd Play

Kelsay has hand down again. Merriman over the slot WR.

3rd Play

Kelsay - Dareus - Williams - Merriman

Barnett - Torbor

McKelvin - Byrd - Wilson - McGee - D-Flo

Kelsay and Merriman have hand gown. Barnet blitzes. McGee is the slot.

4th Play

Kelsay had his hand down. Merriman was lined up right by Edwards hand up. Barnett and Davis 5 yards from LOS shifted a bit to the left side. George Wilson comes up late behind Edwards/Merriman.

5th Play

Barnett - Torbor

McKelvin - McGee - Wilson - Byrd - D-Flo

Kelsay hand down. Merriman on LOS but hand up. McGee in the slot.

6th Play

Torbor - Barnett

7th Play

Davis - Barnett - Merriman

Byrd - Wilson - McGee - McKelvin

Kelsay hand down. Merriman in LOS by Edwards. Byrd 1-1 on the bottom. McGee in slot.

8th Play

Kelsay - Dareus - Edwards - Merriman

Torbor - Barnett

Kelsay & Merriman have hand down. McGee in slot.

9th Play

Torbor - Barnett

McKelvin - Wilson - Byrd - McGee - D-Flo

-----------------------------------------------------

After 9 plays Merriman came out and Kelsay took his spot while Carrington took over Kelsay spot. Then Kelsay came out after 1 play and Batten came in. Troup also saw action on the 3rd drive.

So Kelsay had his hand down every play with the 1st unit. Torbor is gonna be the nickle LB with Barnett and McGee will be the slot CB in nickle.

Edited by bills_red

why do they bother calling kelsay a lb? for that matter, why do they bother calling it a 3-4? its obvious kelsay is far more effective as a down lineman, is never asked to drop into pass coverage anymore cuz hes horrible at it, and essentially is a defensive end all the time. i mean im fine with that if it works, and im fine with kelsay who is a steady high-motor type at a reasonable price (3.75m), but lets call a cracker a cracker and say hes a de in a 4-3 defense

1st Play

2nd Play

3rd Play

Barnett - Torbor

4th Play

5th Play

Barnett - Torbor

6th Play

Torbor - Barnett

7th Play

Kelsay hand down. Merriman in LOS by Edwards. Byrd 1-1 on the bottom. McGee in slot.

8th Play

Torbor - Barnett

9th Play

Torbor - Barnett

After 9 plays Merriman came out and Kelsay took his spot while Carrington took over Kelsay spot. Then Kelsay came out after 1 play and Batten came in. Troup also saw action on the 3rd drive.

So Kelsay had his hand down every play with the 1st unit. Torbor is gonna be the nickle LB with Barnett and McGee will be the slot CB in nickle.

And,Kelsay looked good playing DE. He was not meant to be an OLB but as a DE he puts decent pressure on the QB and gives us a solid player who is smart and respected by teammates and coaches.

Awesome, thanks for the data on the D. I didn't see the game. If you don't mind doing this for the next game, I'd appreciate it.

okay, paid 20 bucks to get the preseason games on nfl.com, worth it imo.

NICE WORK!

Not to get greedy, but if I may be greedy, if you have time to post the situation for each down - 3rd and 8, etc... that would be awesomely helpful.

will do that next time

yea they are basically in the same alignment they closed out the year in last year. Im not sure what to call it really. 4-3 over, 5-2, 3-4. seems to be a real hybrid. I thought it worked good for us last year though, thats when we were at our best.

1st Play

2nd Play

3rd Play

Barnett - Torbor

4th Play

5th Play

Barnett - Torbor

6th Play

Torbor - Barnett

7th Play

8th Play

Torbor - Barnett

9th Play

Torbor - Barnett

One of the most informative posts I've seen on here in a while. Some actual data to think about... Thanks for posting!

I watched the game twice on NFL Preseason Live and noticed the same thing. This defense is certainly not a 3-4. Nor is it a 4-3. Most of the first team D had 3 down lineman (most of the time 4), with at least 1 backer on LOS (sometimes 2) giving the LOS 5-6 bodies. They are very worried about the run, that's for sure!

why do they bother calling kelsay a lb? for that matter, why do they bother calling it a 3-4? its obvious kelsay is far more effective as a down lineman, is never asked to drop into pass coverage anymore cuz hes horrible at it, and essentially is a defensive end all the time. i mean im fine with that if it works, and im fine with kelsay who is a steady high-motor type at a reasonable price (3.75m), but lets call a cracker a cracker and say hes a de in a 4-3 defense

If it comes down to a choice between lying to me (and getting even a small chance at fooling opponents or telling me the truth, I say lie to me.

Its much more important to me that we win rather than the team is honest to opponents simply because they are being honest with me.

Are we really gonna take Merriman off the field every time we go into the nickel? Would it be better to line him up at DE?

Unless I misread the OP, every time we were in nickel, Merriman was lined up at RDE. That's what I saw while watching the game as well. I don't think Merriman will be off the field when we're in nickel.

GO BILLS!!!

And,Kelsay looked good playing DE. He was not meant to be an OLB but as a DE he puts decent pressure on the QB and gives us a solid player who is smart and respected by teammates and coaches.

I said it all last year: Kelsay's problem wasn't Kelsay, it was the idiots that thought lining up a 4-3 DE at OLB in a 3-4 was somehow a good idea. :wallbash:

I said it all last year: Kelsay's problem wasn't Kelsay, it was the idiots that thought lining up a 4-3 DE at OLB in a 3-4 was somehow a good idea. :wallbash:

Agree with that, however it took them all year to figure that out.

Q: Who would you say is the weakest link in the D as configured for Saturday night game?