How the 1st team D lined up

bills_red

Agree with that, however it took them all year to figure that out.

Q: Who would you say is the weakest link in the D as configured for Saturday night game?

Maybe Wilson. But probably Kelsay.

Kelsay's problem at OLB wasn't Kelsay. But his problems at DE are. :D

I said it all last year: Kelsay's problem wasn't Kelsay, it was the idiots that thought lining up a 4-3 DE at OLB in a 3-4 was somehow a good idea. :wallbash:

Not sure the strategy was intentional. We were incredibly thin at LB last year. Davis, Merriman were injured and we were pretty much plugging anyone available. The coaching staff may have thought it is better to put experience in one of the LB spot than trust it to a rookie. So, it could have been that Kelsay was playing LB due to force of circumstance.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Maybe Wilson. But probably Kelsay.

Kelsay's problem at OLB wasn't Kelsay. But his problems at DE are. :D

Right. I find it interesting that they seem to have drafted a replacement for Wilson, in Da'Norris Searcy at SS?

4-3? 3-4? It's funny how we make such a big deal out of this. Also of note is how Carrington is playing OLB at 300+lbs. The coaching staff is clearly looking to stop the run and put pressure on the passer with these moves.

The positions these guys are playing has less to do with the scheme(3-4, 4-3) than it does with maximizing individual player talents. Kelsay sticking a hand on the ground so he can get low and gain leverage is what he is good at. Carrington is big but also fast so he can play OLB and contain the run. Darius, Williams and Merriman all playing next to each other so they can use their disruptive skills to crush plays at or behind the line of scrimmage. All this means is that the coaches are trying to use their skills where they are most effective. It's about not getting lassoed into a specific scheme really.

4-3? 3-4? It's funny how we make such a big deal out of this. Also of note is how Carrington is playing OLB at 300+lbs. The coaching staff is clearly looking to stop the run and put pressure on the passer with these moves.

The positions these guys are playing has less to do with the scheme(3-4, 4-3) than it does with maximizing individual player talents. Kelsay sticking a hand on the ground so he can get low and gain leverage is what he is good at. Carrington is big but also fast so he can play OLB and contain the run. Darius, Williams and Merriman all playing next to each other so they can use their disruptive skills to crush plays at or behind the line of scrimmage. All this means is that the coaches are trying to use their skills where they are most effective. It's about not getting lassoed into a specific scheme really.

Nice.

+1

:thumbsup:

Torbor is better in coverage and obviously gets put in on the nickel, but do you really want Merriman out of the play on 3rd down passing situations?

Not sure what you are talking about. Merriman played RDE in the nickel.

Carrington got reps at OLB and DE. IMO he is a DE but hey he looked better than Kelsay at OLB.

That's like saying ketchup is significantly more useful as a hair tonic, than it is as a fuel additive. 0:)

Just sayin'. :devil:

He got pressure and contained well, I'm not sure what else you want. You can still be decent while not a pro-bowl player.

Which really, is the way it should be. I applaud what the Bills did on D the first few series, they looked great.

why do they bother calling kelsay a lb? for that matter, why do they bother calling it a 3-4? its obvious kelsay is far more effective as a down lineman, is never asked to drop into pass coverage anymore cuz hes horrible at it, and essentially is a defensive end all the time. i mean im fine with that if it works, and im fine with kelsay who is a steady high-motor type at a reasonable price (3.75m), but lets call a cracker a cracker and say hes a de in a 4-3 defense

U dont have to be racist! CRACKA!

He got pressure and contained well, I'm not sure what else you want. You can still be decent while not a pro-bowl player.

What do I expect from my starting DE/OLB? Disruption. They should be a disruptive force on the field.. particularly in the backfield.. and that word should not appear anywhere in Mr. Kelsay's resume.

I'll give you that he's a "solid" player.. but "solid" should be reserved for Kickers, Punters and Long Snappers. B-)

What do I expect from my starting DE/OLB? Disruption. They should be a disruptive force on the field.. particularly in the backfield.. and that word should not appear anywhere in Mr. Kelsay's resume.

I'll give you that he's a "solid" player.. but "solid" should be reserved for Kickers, Punters and Long Snappers. B-)

He was there multiple times about a half step behind Merriman/Dareus. I think he did fine, and I'm not convinced we have a better player on the team for the position. MAYBE Moats if he had more time at the position, but he's being moved inside.