This happens every season...

Is making the playoffs really such a leap? I think they can improve a little, make the playoffs and still have a real long way to go towards being a contender, so what?

It's a huge leap. It's saying we will make way more progress than about 8 teams. Who are your 6 in the playoffs?

Us

Patriots

Steelers

Ravens

Indy

San Diego

One of these things is not like the others.

I get so sick of posts like these. Who GIVES A FLYING FANOOTER if we end up sucking this year? We've sucked for TEN DAMN YEARS, can't we enjoy some positives from a frickin preseason game for five damn minutes before someone comes along and lifts their leg on the optimism? We already KNOW we're probably going to have another losing season...you're not telling us anything we're not aware of...but for fux sake, once in a while it's nice to enjoy a little excitement over something the Bills did, misguided though it may be.

^---- what he said x1,000,000

I understand it's just preseason and it's happened every year since Clinton was in office but on a side note, we did have 9 sacks last night with our 1st, 2nd and 3rd string defenses. It's quite a bit of hope that this defense will have a pass rush even if a guy or 2 does go down. It really is looking like it coming together a bit on defense. I'm not predicting top 10 D or playoffs or anything. However 8-8 and 15th on defense doesn't seem like much of a stretch. There are some that will just reply with "great, another 8-8 year and our shot at taking an early QB, or stud in the draft". My reply to that would be that 8-8 under a ball-less Jauron is much different from 8-8 under Gailey. This coaching staff gives me a feeling like were headed in the right direction. I would guess that our line will be the weakest point this year and we pick up the best RT or RG with our first rounder next year, as one of the guys at RT or RG will probably look decent enough to keep. Then Another ILB with our 2nd rounder.

Here's the difference: Over hyping a rookie RB is one thing, but getting excited over a guy like Shawne Merriman who has proven that he can get 15+ sack a year is a totally different story. Also, I feel that based on his size and passion for the game there is nothing wrong with being excited about Dareus. Nothing wrong with this type of optimism.

3 points didn't exactly make me forget about Lee Evans. A #2 WR needs to step up

^^^THIS^^^

Not to mention we only scored 3 TD's last year after we lost Evans to injury...so theres that too...

And Fitz didn't exactly light it up yesterday either and has been poor with his accuracy all through camp on mid to deep passes (much like his whole career) and losing Evans isnt going to help that...so theres that too...

I would like to say we have one debbie downer post a season as well....but well....

I saw an 8-8 team last night.....the starters are going to do well enough....but our offensive line depth is crap....absolute crap......guys like Wang, Wrotto, Howard scare the crap out of me.....

I pray to god that Nix sees this and is combing the waiver wire for players who still have a couple of years left in them

The defense looked good and can keep improving, but when your pathetic offense can't get a sniff of the end zone, it's gonna be quite hard to win 5 games this year. Now with Evans gone teams will only have to worry about SJ. We have no proven legit #2 WR on the opposite side of our unproven new #1 WR. This team still has no clue what it takes to build an offense. We can hold teams to 10, 14, 17 pts a game all year long but will still lose most of them. Maybe it was the famed pre-season "vanilla offense", but this team has had a vanilla offense during the regular seasons as well. I'm not sure Brad Smith can make that big of a difference.

And on a side note, Skylar Pigpen looked like the same #4 we had on the team last year.....terrible!!!

our offensive line depth is crap....absolute crap......guys like Wang, Wrotto, Howard scare the crap out of me.....

Tough to see them overpowerd so easily. You can teach technique and give them reps, but no way do they get stronger at this point in the season.

Edited by Lurker

SPILLLLLLER IS A BBEASTTTTT GO BILS PLAYOFFS 2011!!!!!!!!!

12 months ago

billieve21

The Buffalo Bills are a legit playoff team...if you think about it.. Edwards and Fitzpatrick are underated.

12 months ago

i hope the bills play as good in the regular season as they are doing now in the preseason cuz we are actually looking good this year

12 months ago

okay maybe a strech....im gonna say 9-7 but miss the playoffs

12 months ago

Fans' reactions to our preseason last year, via NFL.com.

Merriman had a couple sacks, let's take a step back, we have gaping holes in our team.

MERRRIMANNNN IS A BEEAASSSTT. Bills playoffs 2012!!

Please show me the posts where folks say "God <insert player here> was just horrible, but it's only pre-season. I'm sure things will improve."

PTR

We went hard at Clabo but couldnt get him to move his family out of Atlanta, and he wanted to stay with a winner.

Not like the FO isnt trying, but you can only control so much, and you can only do so much. Not many other FA OTs that are better than what we already have. I dont know any teams that wanted to trade away a starting OT either.

Gonna have to do the majority of it via the draft. It will come. At least we can see they have a plan.

Excellent points, Dr. D - the Bills F.O. did go all out to sign Tyson Clabo, but I don't think he wanted to leave the Falcons or cause any further disruption in the lives of his brother's 2 young children that Clabo and his wife just recently adopted...

Link - Football field or family life, Falcons' Clabo protects those around him

(Good for Clabo - to say that what he and his new wife are doing is admirable would be quite an understatement, IMO.)

Given Buddy's "draft 'em and develop 'em yerself" philosophy, maybe Chan & Buddy think Hairston will come around quickly, or are hoping UDFA Rich Lapham's knee will magically heal before the season starts?

Personally, I am wondering why Nix and our Steelers-connected Ass't GM Doug Whaley don't go after Max Starks, whom the Steelers cut in a cap-room move. I know he's coming off neck surgery and supposedly he's overweight (he's 6'8" and I think he plays at around 370) but he's done a decent job protecting Roethlisberger over the years and, at 29 years old, might still have a little something left 'in the tank'. Plus, he can play both OT positions, and has, which would give the Bills some much-needed depth. At least bring him in for a look, and maybe put him on PUP 'til he's back in game shape? An in-shape Max Starks would be an upgrade to what we have now, I think...

Git 'er done, Buddy! B-)

I get so sick of posts like these. Who GIVES A FLYING FANOOTER if we end up sucking this year? We've sucked for TEN DAMN YEARS, can't we enjoy some positives from a frickin preseason game for five damn minutes before someone comes along and lifts their leg on the optimism? We already KNOW we're probably going to have another losing season...you're not telling us anything we're not aware of...but for fux sake, once in a while it's nice to enjoy a little excitement over something the Bills did, misguided though it may be.

You tell 'em, AJ! :thumbsup:

Here's something to be positive about...

Bears quarterbacks were sacked nine times, and the starting offense mustered only 10 yards — when Jay Cutler was flushed out of the pocket and scrambled for a first down.

(Link - Bears’ offensive line fails to impress in 10-3 win over Bills)

That was, after all, the Bears' offense that played in the NFC title game 8 months ago.

I'm happy taking that from last night's game, and building on it as the pre-season progresses...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

Edited by The Senator

I was very pleased with what I saw last night.

Still think we'll be about a 6-10 team.

BUT I also think it will be clear we are headed in the right direction.

GO BILLS! :thumbsup:

I basically agree with this ^

Seriously though, this team has been bad for so long...Let us enjoy the small things when we get them even if only for a week, such as our first team units looking pretty solid last night...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

For the posters in this thread crying about the offense....you do realize they got what....about 14 plays?.....they were not in that long yet we moved the ball down the field and scored a field goal. Chicago had their starters on the field for MUCH longer.

That is why its preseason....

Our defense was VERY good while they were together in the game.......there was a lot to like out of this game.

^^^THIS^^^

Not to mention we only scored 3 TD's last year after we lost Evans to injury...so theres that too...

And Fitz didn't exactly light it up yesterday either and has been poor with his accuracy all through camp on mid to deep passes (much like his whole career) and losing Evans isnt going to help that...so theres that too...

The offense didn't look like the greatest of all time.

However against other NFL clubs scrambling to get a decent roster together, Buffalo has a great shot of being very effective.

You tell 'em, AJ! :thumbsup:

Here's something to be positive about...

Bears quarterbacks were sacked nine times, and the starting offense mustered only 10 yards — when Jay Cutler was flushed out of the pocket and scrambled for a first down.

(Link - Bears’ offensive line fails to impress in 10-3 win over Bills)

That was, after all, the Bears' offense that played in the NFC title game 8 months ago.

I'm happy taking that from last night's game, and building on it as the pre-season progresses...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

Heck yeah...I couldn't believe how good the first unit D looked last night. It's been forever since I saw our front seven wreak that much havoc. It's one thing when you have one prime time player out there, i.e. Kyle Williams. But when you all of a sudden have three or four, things really open up and we can finally knock some heads around. That's what we saw last night. Teams may be able to just double team one guy, but when you have Williams, Dareus, Lights Out and one or two others coming after your QB...bad things, man!!! :thumbsup:

Just for arguments sake, my reply was blocked because I used the phrase "suck on that troll, biatch", but you got to drop an "F" bomb because you intentionally misspelled it? What the (explitive)?!