Maybin dropped like a fly

Robchester

Don't be too surprised if Maybin is one of the very last cuts - or that he stays with the team.

His salary is something like $750m this year and next.

Does anyone know when the first cuts have to be made?

In his case, I think it's time to set the boy free ... the dollars frankly don't matter because what he will be paid he will be paid but keeping him is just a sign of failure.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybin is:

1. 35 pounds too light to play DE

2. Not very fast.

3. Physically weak. He gets literally thrown, tossed, pushed, shoved on EVERY play.

4. Not very creative. He goes wide every time. He is 3 seconds behind the play.

5. a "pile jumper" on tackles....and again always late.

6. Not liked or respected by teammates. Probably speaks to his immaturity and lack of smarts.

He already robbed Ralph and he will not and is not getting better. Cut losses now. There are already better guys for the roster. Complete bust.

That will go down as BY FAR the worst draft pick in round 1 Bills history.

Worst #1 pick of all time? Gosh, so many to choose from. Tom Cousineau, Tom Ruud, Phil Dokes, Eric Flowers, Perry Tuttle, Booker Moore. John M cCargo, JP Losman, Al Cowlings. My vote goes to Cousineau, the first overall pick in the draft who never played for the Bills. After a stint in the CFL he was traded to Cleveland and did absolutely nothing.

You simply can't miss with a Maybin topic around here. He got run over because the RB outweighed him and had a tremendous run at him. I didn't find it funny because I don't like seeing guys on our team fail. I did try to look for him as much as possible, and there's no doubt he is working his ass off. He simply does not have the size, and my biggest beef with him right now is that he has come into this season smaller than last year, and because of that I put his lack of success now squarely on him. He needs to be playing around 255-260lbs, and he's simply too small right now.

He'll be cut soon enough, but I hate to see it happen this way.

Worst #1 pick of all time? Gosh, so many to choose from. Tom Cousineau, Tom Ruud, Phil Dokes, Eric Flowers, Perry Tuttle, Booker Moore. John M cCargo, JP Losman, Al Cowlings. My vote goes to Cousineau, the first overall pick in the draft who never played for the Bills. After a stint in the CFL he was traded to Cleveland and did absolutely nothing.

Whenever Maybin is hailed by someone as being the Bills' worst alltime 1st round pick, the same list gets trotted out on cue in debate--- I think there's really no question that Maybin is by far the biggest bust, but either way, Cousineau doesn't come anywhere near being as that bad of a pick.

The Bills turned him into Jim Kelly with the 1st round pick they received from the Browns, and Cousineau led Cleveland in tackles 3 consecutive seasons twice making the All-NFL team. Jetting to the CFL cut into his career no doubt, but he produced while in the NFL and the Bills came away with the greatest player in team history.

Maybin has literally done nothing, and following his incredibly poor showing against the Bears this weekend it appears he will never ger another chance.

You simply can't miss with a Maybin topic around here. He got run over because the RB outweighed him and had a tremendous run at him. I didn't find it funny because I don't like seeing guys on our team fail. I did try to look for him as much as possible, and there's no doubt he is working his ass off. He simply does not have the size, and my biggest beef with him right now is that he has come into this season smaller than last year, and because of that I put his lack of success now squarely on him. He needs to be playing around 255-260lbs, and he's simply too small right now.

That play had nothing to do with size - Maybin got pancaked because he stupidly left his feet. I don't know what he was attempting. He wasn't jumping up to block a pass - the throw was going to the other side of the field. And it's not like he was going for the sack - the QB was a good 10-15 feet away, so even if he had somehow landed the jump he would've had to recover his footing and then chase after the QB. It looked like he was just taking a flying karate leap into Barber, and Barber stepped right into it and upended him. Wouldn't have mattered if Maybin weighed 280 on that play, his technique was so awful.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Despite being tossed like a rag doll on "the play" he should get credit for running down Johnny Knox on the 70yd return. It was maybin who came across the field on a tough angle and tripped him up by the legs. I'm actually shocked he isn't a better special teamer. but that was an impressive play. if the kid could ever put on some weight he'd have a chance at LB. oh well.

This is why I'd like to see him be played at a different position before cutting him. I think he got a ton of guaranteed money from the Bills. Make him play out his contract. TE, safety, special teams, perhaps he can play a role here. Gunner on punts. Something. Can he catch the ball? Another WR. I don't know, just throwing things out there. He has a ton of athletic talent, it's so frustrating watching it not be harnessed in the right way. Perhaps there is no NFL way to harness it, but worth trying while we still have him. It's not like he's taking up a roster spot from someone who could or would contribute this year. I also say give Wang another year, Jason Peters and even James Harrison (Steelers, LB and terrible public speaker) got cut several times before becoming all-pros.

Good post. I really hope he does not get cut. No question he is working his a## off. Results might come at another position?

Whenever Maybin is hailed by someone as being the Bills' worst alltime 1st round pick, the same list gets trotted out on cue in debate--- I think there's really no question that Maybin is by far the biggest bust, but either way, Cousineau doesn't come anywhere near being as that bad of a pick.

The Bills turned him into Jim Kelly with the 1st round pick they received from the Browns, and Cousineau led Cleveland in tackles 3 consecutive seasons twice making the All-NFL team. Jetting to the CFL cut into his career no doubt, but he produced while in the NFL and the Bills came away with the greatest player in team history.

Maybin has literally done nothing, and following his incredibly poor showing against the Bears this weekend it appears he will never ger another chance.

If you want to focus on peripherals regarding draft busts, than what about Ronnie Harmon? Sure, he played well for SD later on, but he made one of the two or three worst plays in Bills history.

This is why I'd like to see him be played at a different position before cutting him. I think he got a ton of guaranteed money from the Bills. Make him play out his contract. TE, safety, special teams, perhaps he can play a role here. Gunner on punts. Something. Can he catch the ball? Another WR. I don't know, just throwing things out there. He has a ton of athletic talent, it's so frustrating watching it not be harnessed in the right way. Perhaps there is no NFL way to harness it, but worth trying while we still have him. It's not like he's taking up a roster spot from someone who could or would contribute this year. I also say give Wang another year, Jason Peters and even James Harrison (Steelers, LB and terrible public speaker) got cut several times before becoming all-pros.

They've tried him on kick coverage teams. He couldn't stay onsides or stay in his lane.

James Harrison is built like a brick outhouse. "Wait til next year" is never going to get Maybin in that category.

(Update) Given that he was cut, I guess the Bills decided they had wasted enough money, time and energy on him as well. He could still be a great placekicker, I guess; that position doesn't require functional power.