Steve Smith--Giants

RyanC883

Should the Bills Have gotten Steve Smith  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Have gotten Steve Smith

• Yes--it allows us to trade Evans for an OT and still take pressure off Johnson.
    • Yes, but keep Lee and have a solid 1-3 WR's.
    • No, lets let the unproven young guys play and hope it works out.

Before you all go flaming away about how great our WR's are, how many of them have made a pro bowl. NONE. The Bills should have gone after Steve Smith. He would have made Lee Evans--who does not fit into our offense-- expendable, taken pressure off Johnson, and provided a much needed upgrade to our WR corp. Instead, all we have is an injured Rosco and "hope" that the other WR's turn into something. It's time for a win now mentality. The Bills remind me so much of the Pirates in baseball it's sickening.

Edited by RyanC883

Steve Smith signed a one year deal with a contending team in which he is going to start the season on the PUP list due to offseason surgery. I highly doubt the Bills were on Smith's radar for the type of deal he was looking for. Not a missed opportunity, it's one that was never there.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

Before you all go flaming away about how great our WR's are, how many of them have made a pro bowl. NONE. The Bills should have gone after Steve Smith. He would have made Lee Evans--who does not fit into our offense-- expendable, taken pressure off Johnson, and provided a much needed upgrade to our WR corp. Instead, all we have is an injured Rosco and "hope" that the other WR's turn into something. It's time for a win now mentality. The Bills remind me so much of the Pirates in baseball it's sickening.

Why do you think that none of our WR's have made the probowl? Because they lack talent? It's hard to get to the pro bowl when the rest of the offense is poor. With the Bills miserable running game the last few years, the secondary was able key on the WR's, along with not having to dedicate another player to the box to protect run, and hence, our WR's don't get the production needed to get to the pro-bowl. That's not to say that they would make it to the pro bowl with a better running game/O-Line, just that their stats would be much improved if the offense wasn't so one dimensional. It really didn't help during the Jauron years that what type of play about to be run (pass/run) was easily predictable (3rd and long? I bet they pass...yep), and that Trent was at the helm for so long, dumping it off to the RB's, only to see them drop it.

Now that Gailey has control and Fitz is at the helm, it was clear last year that our young receivers along with Lee and Stevie are capable of being one of the top 10 WR's corps in the league. The question now is can the offense produce a run game that can take the pressure off the passing game to open up holes for the wr's.

TL;DR, Steve Smith wouldn't help much and wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest anyway. I would rather this team focus on depth in the trenches than add more skill positions (unless they can find a TE...Chandler has had flashes in practice though so who knows). With the limited preparation time I fear we will see a lot of little nagging injuries (hammies and ankles) around the league. It would be nice to have competent replacements to plug in when needed.

I can't even vote in the poll, it's assinine. The oft injured Steve Smith, who has had one decent season, would help this team how?

I guess every player that some moron might have heard of should be signed by the Bills or Nix is an idiot. Come on folks, I thought Bills fans were supposed to be passionate and somewhat intelligent about their team. I am losing faith every time I read some of the posts on here.

I love how some of you Bills fans who replied here are happy with mediocrity. Steve Smith has been to the Pro Bowl twice.

As for the poster who thinks we had a terrible running game, the running game was fine last year with Freddie and the year before, but still no pro bowl WR's. Lee Evans is a one trick pony. Put up Steve's numbers against ANY of our WR's and they blow them away. Also, Steve Smith had Eli Manning throwing him the ball, last year with Fitz for the majority of the year the only WR who put up great numbers was Johnson.

As for the poster who complained that Steve signed a one year deal and is "injured" this article shows that the deal is only $2 million guaranteed, and also demonstrates that Steve is a lot closer to coming back than the Giants will admit. (obviously to cover their ass after losing him.)

Oh, and posting that "this is the silliest poll ever" doesn’t really say much, in fact, that is the silliest reply ever. Perhaps you can have a conversation without cutting down other Bills fans who propose something for discussion. The only reasonable reply was the first one.

http://www.washingto...TKU8I_blog.html

Edited by RyanC883

Steve Smith signed a one year deal with a contending team in which he is going to start the season on the PUP list due to offseason surgery. I highly doubt the Bills were on Smith's radar for the type of deal he was looking for. Not a missed opportunity, it's one that was never there.

+1

As for the poster who complained that Steve signed a one year deal and is "injured" this article shows that the deal is only $2 million guaranteed, and also demonstrates that Steve is a lot closer to coming back than the Giants will admit. (obviously to cover their ass after losing him.)

You're missing the point - Smith was not going to come to Buffalo, no matter what. He wanted a chance to win now, and FAs generally don't see Buffalo as a place where that can happen.

Edited by Captain Caveman

yea, that and the whole fact he just signed with a super bowl contender.

it's not that the bills dont pursue players, it's that nobody wants to sign here, yet.

when they do sign players, they have to overpay (i.e brad smith, derrick dockery, langston walker, etc...) and then the board has a sh*t fit with how much the bills pay these players...

I love how some of you Bills fans who replied here are happy with mediocrity. Steve Smith has been to the Pro Bowl twice.

He's only been to the pro bowl once, in 2009.

As for the poster who thinks we had a terrible running game, the running game was fine last year with Freddie and the year before, but still no pro bowl WR's. Lee Evans is a one trick pony. Put up Steve's numbers against ANY of our WR's and they blow them away. Also, Steve Smith had Eli Manning throwing him the ball, last year with Fitz for the majority of the year the only WR who put up great numbers was Johnson.

Okay, I will.

Smith's Pro-Bowl season (2009): 107 rec, 1220 yards, 11.4 yrd/rec, 7 TDs

Stevie last season: 82 rec, 1073 yards, 13.1 yrd/rec, 10 TDs

yeah, he really blows Stevie out of the water.

How about Smith last season vs Roscoe last season?

Smith: 9 games (7 started), 48 rec, 529 yrds, 11.0 yrd/rec, 3 TDs

Roscoe: 8 games (6 started), 33 rec, 400 yrds, 12.1 yrd/rec, 2 TDs

And Roscoe was the 3rd receiver!

Oh, and just for reference, Smith's other full season (he's been in the league 4, didn't do anything his first, injured half of last year):

(2008) 57 rec, 574 yards, 10.1 avg, 1 TD.

And for giggles, compared to Evans' best season:

(2006) 82 rec, 1292 yards, 15.8 yrd/rec, 8 TDs

or even his second best:

(2008) 63 rec, 1017 yards, 16.1 yrd/rec, 3 TDs

So what you are saying here is that because Smith got a pro bowl nod for his 2009 season, he is instantly better than Evans, who has shown he can put up comparable numbers. Did you forget that the pro-bowl is a popularity contest?

Heck, Wes Welker's season last year (pro-bowl) was pathetic compared to many other top WRs last year, yet he still got in:

86 rec, 848 yards, 9.9 yrd/rec, 7 TDs

What does that mean to you?

Edited by kdub

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.

Obviously...because you can always count on a guy that doesn't know your offense and is coming off of a major injury to instantly upgrade your team and make your best receiver expendable.

Wow.

You have to stop thinking logically around here or you will accused of being an optimistic Bills fan. We all know that is not allowed.