OT: Los Angeles approves stadium deal

There have been a few articles in the LA media the past few days and a few have mentioned the Bills, but only as a very long shot. Many people that used to state that we had stadium, attendance and small market issues have come to the realization that we have no issues with any of those things. It comes down solely to Ralph and his longevity. What happens after Ralph is the mystery. Besides the political wrangling that would occur, there are also several people that could buy and keep the team local. If they auction to the highest bidder, that does not automatically mean it is an out of towner. If Ralph lives another 3+ years, the Bills are all but safe. LA has to have a team announced within a year. My money is on the Chargers, Rams and Raiders.

Edited by SF Bills Fan

I was approached the other day by someone saying I heard bills are moving seems they think the fact that we played in Toronto had something to do with attendance. This shows how much most fans of NFL dont know about buffalo. We dont need to cover seats with traps to claim we have sold out.

I hope you punched them in the head and told them to get their facts straight.

PTR

From what I have heard...There is a VERY strong preference for either the Chargers or Raiders. Why? They would be competing within the LA market, plus there is a built in fan base. The fans of those teams would almost certainly remain fans of those teams. In the case of the Chargers, you even have a pretty decent franchise at the moment.

I get the feeling they would only import a competing team if they are somehow unable to move one of those two.

Let's say the Chargers or Raiders can't be moved, the Jags have to look like the team to target. Jacksonville has relatively little support in its own community, nor has it been able to fill it's stadium. In fact Jacksonville doesn't seem support sports in general. What is the average age there anyway? 85?

It seems unlikely the Bills or Vikes would be going to LA...In this particular discussion anyway...The Bills are far from being on solid ground as to what happens when Ralph dies, regardless of the LA deal.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

• 4 weeks later...

From what I have heard...There is a VERY strong preference for either the Chargers or Raiders. Why? They would be competing within the LA market, plus there is a built in fan base. The fans of those teams would almost certainly remain fans of those teams. In the case of the Chargers, you even have a pretty decent franchise at the moment.

I get the feeling they would only import a competing team if they are somehow unable to move one of those two.

Let's say the Chargers or Raiders can't be moved, the Jags have to look like the team to target. Jacksonville has relatively little support in its own community, nor has it been able to fill it's stadium. In fact Jacksonville doesn't seem support sports in general. What is the average age there anyway? 85?

It seems unlikely the Bills or Vikes would be going to LA...In this particular discussion anyway...The Bills are far from being on solid ground as to what happens when Ralph dies, regardless of the LA deal.

I can tell you this with certainty...the AEG group and Farmersvwant zero, and I mean zero, to do with the Raiders. Remember, their plans call for this being much more than just a destination on football Sundays, and the Raiders fan base is not what either AEG or Farmers wants associated with their name...Raiders flat out will not be the team there..

I cannot speak for the stadium trying to be built by Roski...so they could be in play there.

Minny just committed to building a new stadium right? I doubt they move. Jax could move and no one would notice. IMO the Chargers are already in the LA market, the same way Toronto and ORchester are in Buffalos market.

I read the other day that there were issues with the Minnesota stadium, unfortunately i cannot find the story again.

Take it for what it's worth but I was in LA a couple weeks ago. On sports talk, they were talking about LA getting a team and Buffalo wasn't even mentioned in the discussion.

Personally, it's a joke that a team that lost 2 teams gets another shot in the 1st place. But it is a giant market. I hate the idea of any team moving, but what about expansion? The NFL is a big enough monster to support one or 2 more teams.

Found it here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-vikingsstadium

A key state senator said Thursday she wants a public vote on a proposed half-cent sales tax to help build a new Minnesota Vikings stadium, a new obstacle as the team tries to push the project to the finish line and plays out the final year of its lease at the Metrodome.

“It’s important for the voters to have their say,” said Senate Majority Leader Amy Koch, a Republican from Buffalo, Minn. She said she has supported referendums on sales tax increases in her own legislative district and wants to be consistent.

Koch said she considers the Vikings a key state asset and sees the benefits to Ramsey County of being home to a stadium—“but I just think a referendum is in order,” she said.

A referendum likely could not be held until November 2012—long after the Vikings’ lease at the Metrodome expires.

Edited by Carey Bender

• 4 weeks later...