OJ Simpson discussion

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2000 yards in a 14 game season is pretty hard to disqualify or discredit. I give props to all the other 2k club members, but nobody but the juice did it in 14 games.

Check your own math son. Barry got 2000 in 14 games, which was the Corp's question. He didn't specify that it needed to be in a 14 or a 16 game season.

Exactly.

It was some kind of Jedi mind trick that his opponents never caught on to...

Right. Plus they always had to be worried that the Bills may fake it to someone else, and then throw the ball to OJ, considering that he caught a whopping six passes that year. So teams often had six or seven defensive backs playing trying to take away the swing pass. No wonder he got so many yards rushing.

Right. Plus they always had to be worried that the Bills may fake it to someone else, and then throw the ball to OJ, considering that he caught a whopping six passes that year. So teams often had six or seven defensive backs playing trying to take away the swing pass. No wonder he got so many yards rushing.

Not mention that we had a gun-slinging rookie QB in Fergy and defenses just laid back making sure that Fergy wouldn't beat them deep. OJ had a TON of room as a result of the respect that Fergy demanded his rookie season.

GO BILLS!!!

I have heard this story many times, especially connected to the game in Buffalo where the dolphins won 17-0. The Bills kept handing off to OJ instead of trying to score, and Fernandez and Buonoconti ripped them for it.

my first bills game! :D we had front row seats in the scoreboard endzone. and man what an awful awful tedious effort from the bills. :bag: i still remember how dreadfully dead the stadium was.

As a 9 year old when OJ hit 2003 - he was just HUGE - the biggest sports hero me and my friends had. I may be in the minority, but honestly for me what happened 30 years later is separate from those memories of watching him as a kid. He was simply the best at that time.

Never thought you were defending them, Corp. It's all good.

I just have little respect for most members of that Dolphin team. And I can find no legitimacy in Fernandez' argument at all. From any angle. The idea that a back can "run it up" as it were, is preposterous. OJ earned those yards. Everybody in the world new he was getting the ball and he still couldn't be stopped much of the time.

Manny and the boys should just worry about when they'll pop that next bottle of champagne. From him to Mercury Morris, I've never see a collective group of players enjoy denigrating the accomplishments of so many other great players.

GO BILLS!!!

I hate the Dolphins so much I was ticked when the giants beat the Pats in the SB. Might have shut them up.

I never heard about this.

There is a lot of stuff there that rings true to these ears.

Yeah, kind of plays on your emotions (as a Bills fan) when you watch that. Very weird it is buried on the google search too I had trouble finding it again (some one posted in in the shout box about a month ago and I watched it). I usually don't go for the conspiratorial stuff but this has a lot more to it than the norm.

I have heard this story many times, especially connected to the game in Buffalo where the dolphins won 17-0. The Bills kept handing off to OJ instead of trying to score, and Fernandez and Buonoconti ripped them for it.

My interpretation has been that the Dolphins of those years were angry that they were such a great team, on their way to a third consecutive Super Bowl appearance and a second consecutive championship, including an undefeated season in 1972, but the press went to OJ's 2000-yards. Being the "no-name defense' actually rankled them more than they want to admit. Just as there are many connected with those teams who lament the dismantling of the champion Dolphins after 1974, when Joe Robbie let Csonka and Kiick and Warfield leave for the WFL. The last great game for those teams was losing the heartbreaking "sea of hands" game to the Raiders in the 1974 playoffs, and it left Miami players and fans with a bitter taste in their mouths.

There is almost something tragic about how that 'Phins team ended up. But even at the time the 'Fins had a reputation as an unlikeable and arrogant. Whether that was justified or not is another matter, but it has both undermined any positive sentiments others feel about them and has also fed a sense of resentment among the Dolphins of that era that continues to this day and feeds their Schadenfreude when undefeated teams lose.

The only thing that upsets Dolphins vets and their fans more is that by the end of the 1970s people were calling the Steelers, with their 4 SB Championships, and not the Dolphins, the Team of the Decade. There is a lot of bitterness in South Florida.

P.S. Anyone interested in seeing some quality OJ highlights must go to YouTube and look at the videos posted by billcody1960 (who has posted the Bills' official highlight films from 1973-1975) and nitroradio99 (who has posted highlights of pretty much every Bills game from 1968-1972).

Excellent insight, RJ. Thanks for the historical context. I found it to be very interesting.

It's late so I'll have to watch this tomorrow. By the comments so far, it sounds intriguing.

2000 yards in a 14 game season is pretty hard to disqualify or discredit. I give props to all the other 2k club members, but nobody but the juice did it in 14 games.

yes, Barry did. As I pointed out. It may not have been a 14 game season, but Barry did it in 14 consecutive games. Furthermore, it is even more impressive that Barry had 14 consecutive 100 yard games.

Actually, Barry Sanders did, he had 53 yards in his first two weeks of the season. Then he exploded for exactly 2000 yards in the last 14 games.

http://www.pro-footb...0/gamelog/1997/

Let me see......53 yds the first 2 weeks....2000 the next 14 games.....14 games + 2 games = 16 games.

Someone isn't attending their summer school math class.

Nice, even though I am certified to teach math, reread my point. Though, I could have bolded less to make my point clearer.

Check your own math son. Barry got 2000 in 14 games, which was the Corp's question. He didn't specify that it needed to be in a 14 or a 16 game season.

This is exactly what I meant. Thanks GG.

Edited by justnzane

Can anybody who has seen this summarize it? I don't have an hour and 20 minutes to watch it.

The summary is that there is a boatload of evidence that Jason Simpson was the killer and OJ covered up for him... this private investigator walks you through the evidence that he spent 12 years collecting.

Evidence (whether you agree or not) that he presents:

Jason's altered timecard from the night he worked

His history of mental problems

History of Rage disorder

Pictures of him wearing a knit cap like the one found at the scene dated before the killings and pics of him wearing a different one after

His personal diaries filled with entries hinting, but not actually admitting the crime

A box of very personal affects he stored in Public Storage that he abandoned that included a bunch of stuff including a knife that could have been the murder weapon

Etc... etc...

The picture he draws explains a lot of stuff that didn't sit right in the trial, like why OJ's Bronco only had a drop or two of blood, when he should have been covered head to toe, including his shoes.

The summary is that there is a boatload of evidence that Jason Simpson was the killer and OJ covered up for him... this private investigator walks you through the evidence that he spent 12 years collecting.

Evidence (whether you agree or not) that he presents:

Jason's altered timecard from the night he worked

His history of mental problems

History of Rage disorder

Pictures of him wearing a knit cap like the one found at the scene dated before the killings and pics of him wearing a different one after

His personal diaries filled with entries hinting, but not actually admitting the crime

A box of very personal affects he stored in Public Storage that he abandoned that included a bunch of stuff including a knife that could have been the murder weapon

Etc... etc...

The picture he draws explains a lot of stuff that didn't sit right in the trial, like why OJ's Bronco only had a drop or two of blood, when he should have been covered head to toe, including his shoes.

Interesting. I do remember some speculation about the son right after the murders.....I can't see OJ taking the fall for anybody, though.

However, with that said, I had a lengthy conversation with Manny Fernandez and Bill Stanfill at the 2001 HOF induction ceremony (I was there for Marv, they were there for Nick Buonicont) regarding OJ's 2000 yard season. They literally went on and on about how much they despised OJ and him running up his yardage totals. They mentioned how he'd continue to run after the bills were down and in passing mode. They were very very sour on that note. Things got better for our conversation when I was able to produce a lighter for Manny's cigar. Fernandez went on to show off the Super Bowl XVII ring and made some light hearted stabs at us, ie. "being from Buffalo, I guarantee you've never seen one of these". It was a good conversation to relieve all of us from the boredom of sitting at the ceremony all day. We congratulated them for their boy Nick and they actually congratulated us for Marv and thanked us for coming.

If anyone remembers, that was they year when Buoniconti's paralyzed son stole the show.

I have a different recollection of OJ's yards. OJ was the Bills in those days. Sure Fergie was a decent QB and we had some decent wideouts. But teams understood that if they stopped OJ - or even slowed him down - they would win the game. So all the game-planning against the Bills was about OJ. Sometimes ProBowl LBs would be told to spy on OJ. Their only job was to go where OJ was and make sure he didn't get a big play. Despite every effort to stop him, OJ averaged 143 yards per game in '73 and 6 yards per carry.

the book is called "OJ is guilty, but not of murder" I think it's spot on and it all goes back to Gil Garcetti not wanting to reopen the case in an election year. The shoe sizes, the borrowing of dads clothes, the stabbed with a chefs knife, mentally unstable, blood type matching etc. The son did it- and got away with it.

the book is called "OJ is guilty, but not of murder" I think it's spot on and it all goes back to Gil Garcetti not wanting to reopen the case in an election year. The shoe sizes, the borrowing of dads clothes, the stabbed with a chefs knife, mentally unstable, blood type matching etc. The son did it- and got away with it.