Shannon Sharpe isn't hall worthy

major

Here are the players I feel deserve to be in the HOF before Shannon Sharpe (sorry, haven't had time to respond until now):

Drew Pearson (I hate the Cowboys but he deserves it)

Steve Tasker (greatest special teams player of all time)

Jim Plunkett

Otis Taylor

Cortez Kennedy

Don Coryell

Tim Brown

Charles Haley

Ken Stabler

Ricky Watters

Ken Anderson

Cris Carter

Cortez Kennedy, Ricky watters, and don coryell over the nest tightend in the HISTORY of football (not named metzelaars)

If a TE doesn't block shouldn't their stats be compared to WRs instead of other TEs.

He must have done some blocking seeing how he played with two guys who rushed for 2,000 yards

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can easily name 10 NFL greats that belong in the Hall of Fame before Shannon Sharpe. I'm still perplexed as to how he make it in. Oh well, here's hoping Andre Reed gets in within the next few years.

This comment is a glaring example of a completely ignorant football fan. if you believe that Shannon Sharpe doesn't deserve to be in the hall of fame then its obvious you know nothing of the game. like every other Bills fan i want Andre Reed in the hall too but to say Sharpe is not deserving is just a lack of intelligence of the game, Sharpe was one of the most dominant TE's in the game, ever

3 Rings, bunch of Pro Bowls. He deserves the HOF, no question.

But as for his work/job as a commentator.... well, my friends, I cannot understand half of what comes out of that marble mouth of his. He's freakin horrible TV personality.

I can easily name 10 NFL greats that belong in the Hall of Fame before Shannon Sharpe. I'm still perplexed as to how he make it in. Oh well, here's hoping Andre Reed gets in within the next few years.

Like him or not, he deserves to be in the hall.. :mellow:

I'd say 50% of the reason he got in first ballot is his commentary work on NFL network. The average fan sees him as being more able to relate to. I guarantee if Andre Reed worked one of the Sunday shows or NFL network, he'd be in for sure

It definitely wouldn't hurt him but I don't think it's fair to say that's why SS got what he did.

I stand in the crowd that believes Sharpe shouldn't have been a first ballot HOF'er. Frankly, he was a big receiver that lined up in the slot or flank for a big chunk of his receiving yardage. I think of his as a TE in name only. I can't say that he dominated games like Gonzales or Gates have done. I also think that his brother is more deserving of being in the Hall than him as he was one of the 3 best in the game along with Reed and Rice.

I won't say that he wasn't deserving HOF status, but a first ballot guy should be a total game changer. Gonzales is that guy more so that Sharpe, imo.

Here are the players I feel deserve to be in the HOF before Shannon Sharpe (sorry, haven't had time to respond until now):

Drew Pearson (I hate the Cowboys but he deserves it)

Steve Tasker (greatest special teams player of all time)

Jim Plunkett

Otis Taylor

Cortez Kennedy

Don Coryell

Tim Brown

Charles Haley

Ken Stabler

Ricky Watters

Ken Anderson

Cris Carter

Stabler, Brown and Carter are worthy arguments.

Plunkett, Cortez Kennedy & Ricky "running" Watters will never sniff the hall without paying admission.

Sharpe is one of the best TE's to ever lace them up...period.

Edited by SteamRoller67

I'd say 50% of the reason he got in first ballot is his commentary work on NFL network. The average fan sees him as being more able to relate to. I guarantee if Andre Reed worked one of the Sunday shows or NFL network, he'd be in for sure

Ummmmmm he wasn't a first ballot hof, it took him 3 tries

I stand in the crowd that believes Sharpe shouldn't have been a first ballot HOF'er. Frankly, he was a big receiver that lined up in the slot or flank for a big chunk of his receiving yardage. I think of his as a TE in name only. I can't say that he dominated games like Gonzales or Gates have done. I also think that his brother is more deserving of being in the Hall than him as he was one of the 3 best in the game along with Reed and Rice.

I won't say that he wasn't deserving HOF status, but a first ballot guy should be a total game changer. Gonzales is that guy more so that Sharpe, imo.

And same thing here

how long have you been watching football? Shannon Sharpe was one of the guys who made the TE position what it is today. and he didn't take over games like Gonzales or Gates??? again i ask how much football have you watched? or how much have you watched Shannon Sharpe play? i dont get how anyone can say they know the game and think that Sharpe isn't one of the Best all time... baffling

how long have you been watching football? Shannon Sharpe was one of the guys who made the TE position what it is today. and he didn't take over games like Gonzales or Gates??? again i ask how much football have you watched? or how much have you watched Shannon Sharpe play? i dont get how anyone can say they know the game and think that Sharpe isn't one of the Best all time... baffling

Funny how the comparable players came after him eh? Almost like he didn't just change a game but changed the game (or atleast moved his position forward hugely)

I'm gonna bump this because I would like for someone to explain to me how he "revolutionized the position."

Just to stick up for Major and play Devil's Advocate…

Sharpe was a below-average to average blocker. In that sense he was a hybrid player who was as much a wideout than a tight end.

Sharpe was listed at 6'2" and 228 pounds which is comparable to many of today's wideouts.

They say John Mackey revolutionized the position because before him, TEs were mostly glorified OTs but Mackey was the player who made the TE a downfield receiving threat… at least that's how I understand it.

The only validity to saying that Sharpe further "revolutionized the position" would be to say that he made tight end more of a hybrid position. However is even this true?

We see today a continuing de-emphasis of traditional-style tight ends. But they are not being replaced with Shannon Sharpe clones as much as they are being replaced by wide receivers in spread attacks.

The recent low figures paid to traditional tight ends in free agency further supports the idea that the position is not necessarily evolving as much as it is becoming extinct.

If Sharpe revolutionized the position, who followed in his footsteps? He's almost alone as a wideout-style tight end and most of the great pass-catching tight ends of the last 30 years were, unlike Sharpe, excellent blockers.

Kellen Winslow, Eric Green, Ben Coates, Tony Gonzales, Antonio Gates… all of these players were much more traditional tight ends than Sharpe-style tight ends and all of them were bigger than Sharpe and better blockers too.

In this context at least, Sharpe was not a true tight end, nor did he revolutionize the position.

If you compare his stats to wide receivers, he's 21st in receptions, 34th in yardage, and tied for 58th in TDs (with contemporaries Herman Moore and Muhsin Muhammad, both WRs).

If there is an argument that Sharpe's not hall-worthy, it's that:

1) He was not a true tight end but rather, a hybrid tight end/wide receiver and that if you compare his stats to wide receivers, they fall way below being Hall of Fame standards.

2) He didn't revolutionize the position as much as he helped speed the trend of replacing tight ends with wide receivers.

Have at it.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Hey wether you like him or not? He certainly deserves to be in Hall of Fame. His TE numbers back that up along with his Pro Bowl and Super Bowl rings. Best quote of the night was from Shannon "I'm the only guy in the Hall of Fame who is the second best player in his own family".

Kellen Winslow, Eric Green, Ben Coates, Tony Gonzales, Antonio Gates… all of these players were much more traditional tight ends than Sharpe-style tight ends and all of them were bigger than Sharpe and better blockers too. Sharpe was listed at 6'2" and 228 pounds which is comparable to many of today's wideouts.

theres no way Gates is a better blocker. Gates and Sharpe are virtually the same player just gates is a little bigger. and what does size matter anyway? there are loads of players that were "too small" for they're positions that are hall of famers or future hall of famers that doesn't mean they aren't a real player at that position. you gonna tell me a guy like Mike Singletary wasn't a true ILB because he was closer to the size of a Safety(6'0 230)then to the prototypical size of a ILB 6'2-6'5 240-260?? that argument just doesn't work and debunks your whole argument. Sharpe was a TE no matter what his size was or his blocking ability thats the position he played and he did it at a high level

Sharpe was listed at 6'2" and 228 pounds which is comparable to many of today's wideouts.

The average offensive tackle weighed 292.35 lbs in the 1990's, 313.95 today.

The average offensive guard weighed 284.95 lbs in the 1990's, 310.88 today.

The average center, 285.91 lbs, in the 1990's 291.89 lbs today

The average tight end, 236.56 in the 1990's, 252.1 today

you cant compare 2 different era's like that and say that sharpe wasnt a true TE because he was 6'2 228. as you can see he was only slitely below the average for that posistion in that era. of course the TE's now are going to be bigger. every posistion in the NFL is on average bigger then what it was in that era

The average offensive tackle weighed 292.35 lbs in the 1990's, 313.95 today.

The average offensive guard weighed 284.95 lbs in the 1990's, 310.88 today.

The average center, 285.91 lbs, in the 1990's 291.89 lbs today

The average tight end, 236.56 in the 1990's, 252.1 today

you cant compare 2 different era's like that and say that sharpe wasnt a true TE because he was 6'2 228. as you can see he was only slitely below the average for that posistion in that era. of course the TE's now are going to be bigger. every posistion in the NFL is on average bigger then what it was in that era

Hey billsnut.

I'd be curious to know where you got your figures from… I'd like to bookmark the link for future reference.

Keep in mind that Sharpe retired in 2003 so it's not like he played in an entirely different era.

Wow? You must really dislike him. He is easily in the top 5 TE's in history, if not the top 2 or 3. He redefined the TE position, leading almost every team he was on in receiving, and winning three Superbowls along the way. He retired holding almost every receiving record for TE's, with most eclipsed by Tony Gonzalez now (I suppose he isn't a HOFer either, since he has no Rings?). You certainly are perplexed quite easily if him getting in perplexes you. To be honest, and I am not saying Jim Kelly doesn't deserve to be a HOFer, because he does and he is probably my favorite player ever, but Sharpe is more of a slam dunk as TE then Kelly was as QB. Most people (non-Bills fans) don't put Jimbo in the top 20 or 25 QBs ever, you won't find anyone who isn't mentally challenged that won't put Sharpe in the top 5 TE's ever.