Boss

via Jay Glazer

There goes that. We can move on now...

Before we get to the 'the Bills blew that one' posts, did they ever really have a shot? the pitch to Boss would have been...You're the #1 TE currently on the FA market, would you like to come to a team that really doesn't utilize the TE all that much? oh, and by the way, we probably won't pay you much. what do you think?

Dam, that is about half of what Miller got from Seattle. A little more per year, but less overall, for a player who is probably about 80-85% as good as Miller. In other words, Boss seemed like a steal there.

I think Boss would have been a good addition. Probably could have helped both blocking on the o-line and added a legit red-zone threat. I guess people have been saying that Chan doesn't like using TE's that much, but it seems like Bills missed out on adding a good skill player for not too much money. Disappointing.

I know its important for teams which have struggled as long as the Bills have to largely build through the draft and try and not to move too fast by signing lots of expensive free agents, but having a quality TE locked up through the prime of his career for a reasonable sum seems exactly like the kind of building block the Bills needed. Maybe Chandler works out, but Boss seems far more likely to produce.

Ouch...he'd probably have at most 30 catches as a Bill in this offense, definitely not worth 4 mil per sesaon.

I tend to think 4 Mil would be a great deal. He isn't just a pass catching TE. He can block as well.

Chandler it is.

Ouch...he'd probably have at most 30 catches as a Bill in this offense, definitely not worth 4 mil per sesaon.

With the Bills being approximately 23 million under the cap, why would you care if a decent TE got paid 4 mil/year to play for the Bills?

You don't pay the salaries, and it's not like they're in cap trouble.

Would've been nice to add Boss, but i'm not surprised the Bills didn't go after him. I guess the Bills are just hoping they struck gold in the draft. (or other teams PS) I sure hope so.

Edited by cantankerous

Considering how little he got and that he had to settle for the Raiders, I wonder why he's received so little interest? Then again, I did see a stat where he had the worst drop percentage of any TE, so that may be it.

With the Bills being approximately 23 million under the cap, why would you care if a decent TE got paid 4 mil/year to play for the Bills?

You don't pay the salaries, and it's not like they're in cap trouble.

Would've been nice to add Boss, but i'm not surprised the Bills didn't go after him. I guess the Bills are just hoping they struck gold in the draft. (or other teams PS) I sure hope so.

This Bills regime isn't going to spend for the sake of spending money just to get to the cap, and they don't need to until 2013 anyway. It would have been nice to add Boss, but I never even had the slightest thought that they would go after him. This year is all about Fitzpatrick, if he has a very good year, they will reward him with #1 QB pay. if not, then they need to address the QB situation in the offseason either through the draft or free agency.

It's difficult being a Bills fan because of the turnover at the top over the years. But I think Buddy and Company are doing it right. This is not a SB or even playoff contending club, although I do believe they are much improved from last year. It's a building process, I know fans are sick of hearing it. Believe me, I am too, but that's what it is. When you get a new GM every few years, this is what you get.

I believe they are aligning themselves for a serious playoff push in 2013, when they have to spend X amount of dollars. Then they can add the necessary peices via FA to get to that next level. At least I hope that's the plan, because if it's not, then let's welcome a new GM and another 5 years of rebuilding

.... :wallbash:

I am so done with this team.

Getting Boss would have been excellent, but it was clearly a pipe dream. Let's see what we got with Chandler.

Let me help you:http://www.nfl.com/player/scottchandler/2495573/profile

I hate to tell you guys, but Boss is barely an upgrade over Chandler anyways. Miller was really the only guy worth going after with big money.

Compare this to the above: http://www.nfl.com/player/kevinboss/2495557/profile

So, to you, a guy with 3 consecutive solid starting years (43 in the past 3 years), 18 TD's, 1800 yards and is "barely an upgrade" over a guy who, in the same amount of time, was cut in camp by 2 teams, has 1 start and a single catch in the NFL?

Look, if you want to say ridiculous things in support of any decision by the Bills FO, you are free to do so--but you should be aware that your argument is not very convincing.