Whitner a 49er...

A guy who's time here was...not exactly positive did something incredibly shady. It's not 'taking a shot' because you like the player. If you don't feel Donte has issues to work out with his his focus, self control, and need for attention then we'll have to disagree.

Actually I don't know what he did wrong.

Haven't read any news yet (at PFT). I got home and logged on here.

Let me catch up on whatever he may have done…

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 years for 11 million...I actually would have paid that for Donte. Not a bad deal for the 49ers.

What was it that he was originally looking for? I know it was a ridiculous number. And, I've seen on this board the last few days that we offered $5M a year. Is that true?.......I had heard from an insider late last season that he was done here (but it might have been that he was done at the aforementioned ridiculous number).

Donte got 1 of the 2 things he wanted: he got out of buffalo, because his BS had soured the entire fanbase. (i still think he was a serviceable SS, but what do i know?)

He didn't get the huge salary he was looking for however - he definitely got less than what the bills offered him before he hit free agency. Maybe he looks at that new contract of his and learns a little perspective.

Either way, i never thought George Wilson was a steep drop off from Whitner anyway. wilson is better in coverage and only slightly worse in run support.

Count me among those who are THRILLED that Whitner is gone from Buffalo. It seems that Nix meant what he said a few months back; he must have been offering Whitner next to nothing. It still haunts me that we could have had Ngata instead...

That LT video also makes me glad Poz is gone. How many different highlights could we find, if we wanted to, of Whitner looking absolutely lost in coverage, or of Poz getting completely swallowed up by a lineman? To me, both of these guys symbolize Levy's failed tenured as GM...

Count me among those who are THRILLED that Whitner is gone from Buffalo. It seems that Nix meant what he said a few months back; he must have been offering Whitner next to nothing. It still haunts me that we could have had Ngata instead...

That LT video also makes me glad Poz is gone. How many different highlights could we find, if we wanted to, of Whitner looking absolutely lost in coverage, or of Poz getting completely swallowed up by a lineman? To me, both of these guys symbolize Levy's failed tenured as GM...

I guess I am tired of the BASH MARV CLUB!

He should never have been made a General Manager. To be a successful General Manager you need to manage scouts, have the ability to evaluate pro and college players in relationship to team needs, to negotiate contracts and understand the business aspects of the game, and to be able to put your own team together.

Marv was pulled out of the public relations' hat by the Bills management to appease all of us because we loved him as the Bills Hall of Fame Coach. He was a great coach who managed the bickering Bills to greatness however he had no history scouting so he couldn't put his own scouts together and instead relied on the group that was here. He was 10 years older than Buddy Nix when we got the job and I am sure he didn't travel the nation checking talent himself instead relying on the information brought to him. He was in essence a figurehead but I don't want to see his reputation ruined because he was put in a job he had no background nor support staff to succeed in.

The blame for those draft falls on Modrak and others who are no longer part of the team as well as on Ralph and Russ but I think the two R's have learned their lesson. Buddy and Whaley give us two of the better talent evaluating minds in the NFL. I am sure Whaley is being groomed to succeed Buddy so finally we have people who know what they are doing in charge.

Well, I have a big issue with Marv's coaching, too. His "treating men like men" business. When your men stay out all night before the Super Bowl, and then fold up during the game, how can you "treat them like men" again the next time the big game rolls around?

Jeez, Marv, give these "men" a curfew, will ya?

Grrrr.

Oh, yeah, happy birthday, old timer...

I 100% agree. Take Tomlin, Cower, Dungy, or a whole list of other coaches and they win one of those Super Bowls. Even freaking Jauron could have won with the players the early 90's Bills had. Those teams were all Bill Polian, who then went on to repeat the success in Indy. Thank you Ralph for getting rid of Polian and hiring crappy GM's.

Eric Branch (@Eric_Branch)

8/6/11 2:35 PM

#49ers S Donte Whither says SF's facilities are big upgrade from Buffalo. Says he feels like he's "just entering NFL."

https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/eric_branch/status/99926551801507840

Wait, our practice facilities may not be up to pay. NO way. You mean Ralph is cheap!! No kidding. Could be another reason we can't sign a FA worth a damm. He'll spend what he has to, but no more.

I guess I am tired of the BASH MARV CLUB!

He should never have been made a General Manager. To be a successful General Manager you need to manage scouts, have the ability to evaluate pro and college players in relationship to team needs, to negotiate contracts and understand the business aspects of the game, and to be able to put your own team together.

Marv was pulled out of the public relations' hat by the Bills management to appease all of us because we loved him as the Bills Hall of Fame Coach. He was a great coach who managed the bickering Bills to greatness however he had no history scouting so he couldn't put his own scouts together and instead relied on the group that was here. He was 10 years older than Buddy Nix when we got the job and I am sure he didn't travel the nation checking talent himself instead relying on the information brought to him. He was in essence a figurehead but I don't want to see his reputation ruined because he was put in a job he had no background nor support staff to succeed in.

The blame for those draft falls on Modrak and others who are no longer part of the team as well as on Ralph and Russ but I think the two R's have learned their lesson. Buddy and Whaley give us two of the better talent evaluating minds in the NFL. I am sure Whaley is being groomed to succeed Buddy so finally we have people who know what they are doing in charge.

"So finally we have people who know what they are doing in charge." Is Ralph selling the team??

Edited by RyanC883

We wasted so many picks. Whitner, Maybin, Puz. Think of the palayers we could have had instead. Roman Harper instead of Whitner (if you want to stay with a safety), Orakpo over Maybin, and Woodley over Puz.