CJ Spiller: Expectations

Or perhaps I gave the impression of having mis-read your initial post in order to set up a joke. Let's be serious, if I actually had questions about what you wrote, would't I just scroll up 3 inches and see for myself rather than following up with another post. Not my finest work, but they can't all be gold, and they're never any good when you have to explain it.

As for the link between male-menstruation and declining reading comprehension, I'll have to take your word on that.

meant for your women and I really question he intelligence of some on this board (not yours necesarily) so that really could have been a reading mishap and not a joke. my apologies sir. :beer:

He's frustrating. Sometimes he looks stellar... 6 games with > 5 YPC, but other times just... absolutely ineffective with multiple sub 2 YPC. He needs to learn to see holes better, and if he wants to be an every down back, he needs to learn how to !@#$ing block.

He wasn't that impressive in the return game, so I imagine unless he steps up, others will fill that role. We have people who can do what he does in the passing game already...

Honestly, unless he wakes up when it comes to running and blocking, I don't see him doing much of anything. Which is sad, I really like the guy.

I would really love for Chan to line him and Fred up in the back field more often and not put CJ in motion some this year. I am hoping there are more things to disguise when we are going to run the ball. Even the huddle speed was a give away sometimes (not to mention personnel) last year. I think it would help CJs effectiveness and why do people think he is too small? He isn't.

If CJ is great, we'll be a team to beat in the AFC.

He don't look like a star yet to me though. I'll say less than 1000 on the ground. less than 1500 hundred total.

Unfortunately I don't have much hope that Spiller will magically break out this season. There is one thing to keep in mind though, the pick up of Brad Smith. I think Gailey is planning an extensive use of the wild cat with Smith/Spiller/Jackson/Even Thigpen? If they start showing success, that could really open things up for Spiller.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I've gotta say...went to training camp last night and CJ looks much more patient. Had a few runs where he saw the hole in the line opening up and immediately hit it. Hopefully that translates to game play.

I hope he continues to develop this! If he can be patient and time things correctly to get past the hole/front line, he'll be dangerous in the open field.

Another thing he could do to learn is how to get those extra yards or two at the end of the play by falling/twisting forward instead of trying to make jukes and getting off balance and losing yards.

I think CJ is a unique talent, but I think we all need to temper our expectations as to what he and the running game in general will be able to accomplish this year. Afterall, this is the same team that managed just 6 rushing TDs all of last season!

I think CJ will end up with around 1200 yards from scrimmage and muster 6 total TDs (on both offense and special teams).

4-7 carries/game

KO returns (hopefully only 1/game)

3-5 passes thrown his way/game (less if he can't show that he understands the offense and his responsibilities [which he did not last year]{not to mention the fact that he has to be able to read a defense and pick up a blitz from time to time})

That's about it.

I think CJ is a unique talent, but I think we all need to temper our expectations as to what he and the running game in general will be able to accomplish this year. Afterall, this is the same team that managed just 6 rushing TDs all of last season!

I think CJ will end up with around 1200 yards from scrimmage and muster 6 total TDs (on both offense and special teams).

Lol, those are pretty lofty expectations then (yardage anyway). Especially considering he is a backup. I'd love to see it don't get me wrong, but I'm very skeptical about that prediction...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Unfortunately I don't have much hope that Spiller will magically break out this season. There is one thing to keep in mind though, the pick up of Brad Smith. I think Gailey is planning an extensive use of the wild cat with Smith/Spiller/Jackson/Even Thigpen? If they start showing success, that could really open things up for Spiller.

Do you think ANY 2nd year player on the Bills has a chance to be any good? You've trashed Troupe, now Spiller...please tell me how it is you have such a keen eye and ability to evaluate talent after a player's rookie season?

Were YOU awesome at your job right when you stepped in, or did it take you some time to develop? Presuming you have a job, of course.

Do you think ANY 2nd year player on the Bills has a chance to be any good? You've trashed Troupe, now Spiller...please tell me how it is you have such a keen eye and ability to evaluate talent after a player's rookie season?

Were YOU awesome at your job right when you stepped in, or did it take you some time to develop? Presuming you have a job, of course.

Easy killer, no need to take it personal just because I have different opinions than you. First of all I didn't "trash" spiller, I just said that I don't have high expectations for him this year. He is the BACKUP after all. As a matter of fact I pointed out that he could be successful if Gailey implements the wildcat. There were many people in this thread with worse outlooks than I, read carefully before ranting... Secondly, you picked up on the fact that I don't think they had a good draft 2 years ago huh? I'm not the only one. No one says you have to agree with me, think whatever you want.

I have a great Job, but I won't go any further than that because it is completely irrelevant. Overreact much? Take your pills and relax.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

The dude was a top 10 pick and as RB u better step in and produce right away.

I had a good friend asking me about what to expect from CJ Spiller from a fantasy football point of view and I was thinking, what should be expected? Bigger role in the running game? More catches out of the backfield...anyone have a feel for this?

By the end of the season he'll have cemented himself as nothing more than a role-playing backup on this team.

What that's worth in any fantasy league is relative pending a variety of factors.

I expect Dareus to cement himself as one of the league's top DTs.

I've gotta say...went to training camp last night and CJ looks much more patient. Had a few runs where he saw the hole in the line opening up and immediately hit it. Hopefully that translates to game play.

I also saw him bounce anything that looked the least bit congested outside immediately and get run down just like last year.

If the OL can open holes he may be able to get through them this season, but based just on last night he still has some learning to do (in my opinion anyway).