August 1st Camp Notes

Moats looked like he's starting to feel a bit more comfortable with the ILB position. I saw him in on a few run plays.

Batten looked even better. I want to temper my enthusiasm but he's regaining that 2010 training camp form he had before the injury.

I just heard Paul Hamilton on the radio and he reminded me of something regarding Jasper. During the drills where you run around the dummies and finish off tackling the last one, Jasper would do the drill and just KILL the last one by landing on it with full force or just smash it as hard as he could. This often caused some laughter and "Oooohs" from the crowd. Not sure if this was for show or Jasper going all out on drills.

And thanks again for the comments, I'll be attending a bunch more so I'll post more reports whenever I go.

Thanks for the reports. Great job. I wonder if Jasper is going to see the field this year. I would love to see it. I really do not think they will be able to put him on the practice squad because I believe he will have to clear waivers & I do not think he will be able to get thru waivers without someone picking him up.

As others have said, living 1100 miles away from WNY, I can't get enough Bills updates. I'm finding myself gazing at the crawler on NFLN just to find something Bills related -GOD, Eisen & Company are a complete bore..

So, Thank You very much Beardman! Truely appreciated!!

Moats looked like he's starting to feel a bit more comfortable with the ILB position. I saw him in on a few run plays.

Batten looked even better. I want to temper my enthusiasm but he's regaining that 2010 training camp form he had before the injury.

I just heard Paul Hamilton on the radio and he reminded me of something regarding Jasper. During the drills where you run around the dummies and finish off tackling the last one, Jasper would do the drill and just KILL the last one by landing on it with full force or just smash it as hard as he could. This often caused some laughter and "Oooohs" from the crowd. Not sure if this was for show or Jasper going all out on drills.

And thanks again for the comments, I'll be attending a bunch more so I'll post more reports whenever I go.

Thanks cant for more info; Batten is my breakout player of the year so the more on him the better.

I didn't see any reports for today's camp so I thought I'd put mine up. This is nowhere near the detail Michael Thomas provides in his report, but I hope you enjoy anyway:

August 1st Camp Notes

I attended my first Buffalo Bills training camp of the year at St. John Fisher College in Pittsford, NY. It ran from 3 to 5:30pm.

It was pretty damn hot out there. Kind of a light crowd out there today which is what I prefer. I made a mistake when I first arrived assuming they would be practicing on the longer field (which they've done in years past) but I was wrong. They did the majority of the practice on the split fields. I assume it has to do with the turf. Anyways, lets get to fine points of the day...

•  
  • Levi Brown had a pretty brutal day -- misfiring and throwing near picks like you wouldn't believe.
  • Josh Nesbitt, who was playing the role of QB today (until Brad Smith and Thigpen can participate, which is August 4th) was just as bad. No wonder this guy is listed as a DB.
  • Kyle Williams was a big time disruption, consistently getting in the backfield. Dareus eating up double teams will make Kyle Williams into an even bigger star this year.
  • Dwan Edwards, a guy who I almost forgot about, had a few nice plays including batting down a Fitzpatrick pass (something he's vulnerable to) that led to a
    Shawne Merriman pick. Well, at least I think it was an interception. Edwards was having a strong year prior to his injury last year. Here's to hoping he can bounce back from his injury.
  • Maybin looked tiny next to Merriman. This shouldn't matter so much to me but it does. He did show some speed on a run play, tracking down the RB (can't remember who it was)
  • Johnny White, running back from North Carolina, physically resembles Marion Barber. He runs like him too. This guy could contribute this season if he can get some carries which will be a tough task with the Bills seemingly ready to put CJ Spiller in a feature role, next to Fred Jackson.
  • Geoff Hangartner looked small next to his fellow linemates.
  • Andy Levitre, on the other hand, looked bigger than ever. Oh and I noticed the new haircut and mustache.
  • Donald Jones, a surprise contributor from last season, made some nice plays today in his limited time on the field. This guy has some serious speed.
  • Reggie Corner came off the PUP list and made a nice play today. He's had a forgettable tenure with the Bills thus far. May have a tough time making the team this year with the new additions.
  • Shawne Merriman made some nice plays again today. That would make it a few days in a row of looking good for him. We just need him to stay healthy. If I see him starting on September 11th against the Chiefs, I'll be excited. This guy seems to have all the tools to be a player but can he keep that Achilles healthy?
  • Fitzy made some nice, tight short throws today. The long ball was a bit off again today although he did throw a beautiful 50 yard bomb to Stevie Johnson who was double covered but had a chance to make the catch. Perfect placement of the ball on Fitzy's behalf.
  • Lots of short throws and screen passes today..
  • Did I mention how awful Levi was? Sorry, nothing personal Levi, it's just that I expected better. I can't wait to see what Tyler Thigpen can do. Please be better than what I saw out of our backups today.
  • I'm still trying to adjust to McKelvin and CJ Spiller's number switch.

Read the rest here. Or not.

Good write-ups, thanks mucho......Geoff (knocked on his butt often) Hangartner looked small. Doesn't surprise me one bit