barnett vs poz

rpcolosi

Just the facts..

Scouts inc take - Poz - 82 (great hitter, works through traffic) and Barnett 76 (has some pop, gets through traffic, great in coverage)

Age: Poz will be 27 this season, Barnett 30. Both will be 33 at the end of their contracts, so we'd get poz at the same age as we have Barnett. Personally I'll take a guy with a better injury history, a SB ring, and the ability to cover a TE and RB.

Size: Poz 6'1 238 Barnett 6'2 236.... failing to see where Poz is so much bigger

Best seasons the past 4 years: Poz 2009 - (in just 12 games, very impressive) 12 110tck 87solo 23asst 1.0sack 3ff 0 0 3int

Poz 2010 - (in just 14 games, very impressive) 14 151tck 103solo 48asst 2.0sack 0ff 0 0 0int

Barnett 2007 (16 games) - 16 131tck 102solo 29asst 3.5sack 0 1fr 0 2int

Barnett 2009 (16 games) - 16 105tck 82solo 23asst 4.0sack 0ff 0fr 0 0int

*** Football Outsides commented on the bills assigning tackles at a higher rate than other teams.

Last year, the Bills game trackers gave out an average of 1.5 tackles per eligible tackle play (i.e., plays that could be credited with a tackle, such as completed passes, rushing plays, etc.). That total was third-highest in the league and is in complete contrast with the 1.3 tackles per play credited to the Jaguars defenders (tied for the lowest total in the league). That is about a 13 percent difference in tackle volume between the teams, but even if we factor Posluszny's numbers at the Jaguars rate, he would still end up with around 131 tackles, a total that would still have been a top-10 figure.

and the most important one...

Injuries: Last 4 years total games played --> Poz 45 (1 recurrent injury, broken arm)

--> Barnett 45 ( 2 unrelated injuries, ACL and wrist)

We got better losing Poz and gaining Barnett. Avoid the analysts opinions and look at the numbers and injury history. LBs can play quite well from 30 on (just ask Fletcher, Spikes, Ray Lewis,Brian Urlacher).

Edited by rpcolosi

Good Post.

This is a very good FA signing no doubt.

We gained ... Jacksonville got ripped off ... Poz, a quality guy, made out big time but there is no way the Bills should have paid him anywhere close to that and we got a better player for less money! Way to go Buddy!

Just the facts..

Scouts inc take - Poz - 82 (great hitter, works through traffic) and Barnett 76 (has some pop, gets through traffic, great in coverage)

Age: Poz will be 27 this season, Barnett 30. Both will be 33 at the end of their contracts, so we'd get poz at the same age as we have Barnett. Personally I'll take a guy with a better injury history, a SB ring, and the ability to cover a TE and RB.

Size: Poz 6'1 238 Barnett 6'2 236.... failing to see where Poz is so much bigger

Best seasons the past 4 years: Poz 2009 - (in just 12 games, very impressive) 12 110tck 87solo 23asst 1.0sack 3ff 0 0 3int

Poz 2010 - (in just 14 games, very impressive) 14 151tck 103solo 48asst 2.0sack 0ff 0 0 0int

*** Football Outsides commented on the bills assigning tackles at a higher rate than other teams.

Last year, the Bills game trackers gave out an average of 1.5 tackles per eligible tackle play (i.e., plays that could be credited with a tackle, such as completed passes, rushing plays, etc.). That total was third-highest in the league and is in complete contrast with the 1.3 tackles per play credited to the Jaguars defenders (tied for the lowest total in the league). That is about a 13 percent difference in tackle volume between the teams, but even if we factor Posluszny's numbers at the Jaguars rate, he would still end up with around 131 tackles, a total that would still have been a top-10 figure.

Injuries: Last 4 years total games played --> Poz 45 (1 recurrent injury, broken arm)

We got better losing Poz and gaining Barnett. Avoid the analysts opinions and look at the numbers and injury history. LBs can play quite well from 30 on (just ask Fletcher, Spikes, Ray Lewis,Brian Urlacher).

So you are one the many on here that see the rosy side of everything and are overfilled with optimism, which can be a good thing. One of the things that I disagree with is that Barnett has a better injury history. He has missed 19 games over the past 3 seasons, including 12 games missed last season, and twice in the past 3 seasons he ended the season on the injured reserve. He was one of the many for the Packers who weren't even active for the postseason and Superbowl. Now I am not saying I don't like the signing because it is a dozen times better than just going with backups like it appeared we were, but look at our two veteran linebackers, combined they played 4 out of a possible 36 games (including post season), so we may be relying a little too much on these two guys. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that they both stay healthy and show a little bit of themselves from a few years ago. Bottom line is, if Barnett can stay healthy and produce like he did a few years ago, he may be a slight upgrade over Poz, but he is older and banged up, so only time will tell.

The fact that we now are able to cover a TE is quite encouraging.

+1. Not big on handing out money to injury prone players, but I have to admit, I like the signing because of Barnett's skill at coverage.

So you are one the many on here that see the rosy side of everything and are overfilled with optimism, which can be a good thing. One of the things that I disagree with is that Barnett has a better injury history. He has missed 19 games over the past 3 seasons, including 12 games missed last season, and twice in the past 3 seasons he ended the season on the injured reserve. He was one of the many for the Packers who weren't even active for the postseason and Superbowl. Now I am not saying I don't like the signing because it is a dozen times better than just going with backups like it appeared we were, but look at our two veteran linebackers, combined they played 4 out of a possible 36 games (including post season), so we may be relying a little too much on these two guys. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that they both stay healthy and show a little bit of themselves from a few years ago. Bottom line is, if Barnett can stay healthy and produce like he did a few years ago, he may be a slight upgrade over Poz, but he is older and banged up, so only time will tell.

If both his injuries had been the same knee, I'd be worried. Considering his last injury was a wrist, it doesn't strike me as a fragility injury. Anyone can injure a wrist and I doubt he's likely to reinjure it. And the wrist injury allowed the knee to fully recover and then some.

If both his injuries had been the same knee, I'd be worried. Considering his last injury was a wrist, it doesn't strike me as a fragility injury. Anyone can injure a wrist and I doubt he's likely to reinjure it. And the wrist injury allowed the knee to fully recover and then some.

As is a broken forearm (Poz's longest IR stint), even more of a freak injury than a wrist since it isn't a joint.

Taking ALL things into consideration (age, ability, production, injury, contracts), Id say replacing Poz with Barnett is a push for the team.

However, as someone pointed out last night, we did not replace Poz with Barnett. Poz was already gone. We replaced Torbor with Barnett. And THAT is a clear upgrade for the defense compared to where we were when we started practice.

I was disappointed Poz left, but he's gone and we gotta move forward. Signing Barnett was a good move by Buddy.

Just the facts..

Yeah superbowl ring haaaaaaaaaa

+1. Not big on handing out money to injury prone players, but I have to admit, I like the signing because of Barnett's skill at coverage.

...although, truthfully, replacing Whitner with Wilson answers the TE coverage question as well.