Dareus signed

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I recall, based on the new CBA, all round one contracts are 4 years with a team option for a fifth year. The fifth year salary for a number 3 pick is the average of the top 5 (or 10) contracts at that players position. Given that is about 8 mill or so (my guess) this has the chance to be 5 years at about 28 million guaranteed. Great money, but still less than last year would have gotten Dareus.

So, As far as the Bills cap numbers are concerned, based on 4yrs/20million, where do the Bills currently stand? That is how much of the 39million is left after Dareus, and the rest of the draft picks are signed? and Florence, Brad Smith and Thigpen are factored in?

I never got a text - is this true?

I wonder why its all guaranteed? Is that part of the new rookie cap? Makes sense if it is...

It is not formally part of the rookie contract rules, but thus far, all of the high first rounders (maybe even all first rounders so far? Not sure.) have had their 4-year deals fully guaranteed. Since the top picks are making so much less now, it makes some sense to throw them/their agents a bone. When you consider how long it takes teams to give up on Aaron Maybin high picks who bust, it's unlikely to cost the teams very much. If anything, it encourages teams to take a longer view when developing high picks, since you can't save any money from cutting them.

Also, it's a little off-topic for this thread, but worth mentioning: The Patriots' first-rounder, Nate Solder, is still unsigned. What the hell are they waiting for?