Bills press conference from this morning

Nix saying they won't be active in FA...they have to be! Teams have to spend up to the cap.

For the Bills, the definition of active is to see who is left after all the top players are gone. Nix has been spouting the Wilson party line since he was hired (because Wilson didn't really know a lot of the other available guys). Nix has no choice, so he points it out right away each season to lower our expectations.

Don't blame Nix or Gailey when non-impressive season number twelve is over. They took the only job available for them to be in such a high position, and I believe they were privately told not to expect any spending sprees. So each has one hand tied behind their back. But we will be fed with the usual hype and spin, hype and spin. When the season starts, a lot of fans will be sucked in again. I'll wait to see the baby before I pass out cigars, and I don't care if some people say that doesn't make me a true fan. I've paid my dues for more than 50 years, so I have a right to say I'll believe it when I see it.

Edited by BillsfaninFl

For the Bills, the definition of active is to see who is left after all the top players are gone. Nix has been spouting the Wilson party line since he was hired (because Wilson didn't really know a lot of the other available guys). Nix has no choice, so he points it out right away each season to lower our expectations.

Don't blame Nix or Gailey when non-impressive season number twelve is over. They took the only job available for them to be in such a high position, and I believe they were privately told not to expect any spending sprees. So each has one hand tied behind their back. But we will be fed with the usual hype and spin, hype and spin. When the season starts, a lot of fans will be sucked in again. I'll wait to see the baby before I pass out cigars, and I don't care if some people say that doesn't make me a true fan. I've paid my dues for more than 50 years, so I have a right to say I'll believe it when I see it.

Your argument would be plausible if not for the cap floor every team must meet. So Ralph can't allegedly pocket the money, it has to go to players. So if we don't sign big name players it's not for being cheap, it's more likely players would rather play elsewhere. But the "Ralph is cheap" thing is a charming fairy tale that keeps being handed down.

PTR

Before Pegula came along the Sabres did the same thing. Did you bash them as often as you do the Bills?

Your argument would be plausible if not for the cap floor every team must meet. So Ralph can't allegedly pocket the money, it has to go to players. So if we don't sign big name players it's not for being cheap, it's more likely players would rather play elsewhere. But the "Ralph is cheap" thing is a charming fairy tale that keeps being handed down.

PTR

Has anybody heard if there are repercussions to not meeting the cap floor?? If it's a reasonable fine, Ralph & Mike Brown would probably just pay it if they can stay below the floor.

This is an item that is kind of stupid: forcing teams to pay a certain amt. So, if a team makes some shrewd moves and fills their roster but are under the cap, what are they supposed to do, renegotiate a player's salary up to meet the floor??

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

We didn't make a splash last year in FA, but signed 4 probable starters. Unfortunately they all got hurt early (Merriman, Dwan Edwards & Andra Davis), or in Greens case: Sucked AND got hurt.

I expect we'll sign a couple free agents that have a good chance for a starting job.

Sounds a lot like they're planning on Wood starting at center...

Fingers crossed.

Hangarter has been a decent/good center who's brought a lot of stability to a position that's been a disaster for over a decade. I just think that Wood could be a very good center. I think it's more important to have good center strength because we're in the AFC east with some high quality NTs than if we were dealing with a bunch of weaker 4-3 teams within our division.

No where in that press conference does it say we will not be active in free agency....nowhere.

You are absolutely correct.

Buddy will be very active signing all of the cast-offs and team rejects that nobody else wants just to fill out the 90 man roster

They made their big FA signing last year with Merriman

don't expect any improvement in the overall talent level from this FA class

the only hope is all of those underwhelming draft picks can finally find their way off of the bench and onto the field, let alone be productive