Poz signs with Jax, 6 years $7.5M/year reported

I know he's Polish and has pretty long hair, but why on Earth do so many people on this board seem to have a man crush on the guy? He's never healthy and when he's on the field he isn't that good. He's another Levy / Jauron / Modrak draft bust. The sooner they get rid of the stench of that era the better.

I agree 1000% Great thred.

Edited by Thirty Year Fan

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sal Maiorana was on WGR with Howard Simon. I thought his response to the Poz departure and the state of the Bills was very fair and well reasoned. He observed that there is no player left on the roster drafted in 2007 with Paul P's departure. There is no doubt that the Jauron/Levy era was simply a debacle that is going to take years to overcome.

http://www.wgr550.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5399451

I know he's Polish and has pretty long hair, but why on Earth do so many people on this board seem to have a man crush on the guy? He's never healthy and when he's on the field he isn't that good. He's another Levy / Jauron / Modrak draft bust. The sooner they get rid of the stench of that era the better.

Here Here I could not say it better. I have no vitrol towards Poz. But I will not miss him either.

Jags also need a safety. They can sign whitner too. 250 tackles lol, most of which were after our opponent made a 1st down.

If they lose Whitner they'll also need someone to step up in all those situations that call for a celebration after the opponent made the first down. I nominate Maybin.

I agree that if Poz wanted to play in a 4-3, it would imply there was nothing we could do realistically do to keep him. However, I disagree with the money aspect. If it took 7 M to keep one position manned adequately, we should have done it. Right now, we have yet another hole and short of signing a replacement, have only rookies to fill it. I agree with the strategy to build through the draft and keep our good performeers. But those two strategies work in tandem. We have a lot of rookies slated to fill important roles on the D. And last year we saw that the rookies will be brought along slowly. Which implies we are going to be short of experienced and proven D players this season.

If we lose Whitner and Florence, I will officially stop with the (so-far) blind support of Nix and Co.

So you are saying that the Bills should have spent $7M/yr on a player who was no where near the best at that position. A player many would argue was barely adequate. $7M just to avoid feeling dumped? I question the sanity of a move like that.

As for what you call "blind support", all support is blind to a degree because none of us really know what is going on inside any team. But that doesn't stop people from imagining their own personal realities.

PTR

So you are saying that the Bills should have spent $7M/yr on a player who was no where near the best at that position. A player many would argue was barely adequate. $7M just to avoid feeling dumped? I question the sanity of a move like that.

As for what you call "blind support", all support is blind to a degree because none of us really know what is going on inside any team. But that doesn't stop people from imagining their own personal realities.

PTR

See and this is where your " argument" breaks down. The Bills TRIED to spend that much on him and he declined. Either he is worth the money and we lost him, or the Bills mis-evaluated him. You can't have it both ways, much as you try.

Interesting read from WalterFootball on the Poz signing...

Jaguars sign LB Paul Posluszny (6 years, $42 million): C- Grade

"As a Penn state fan and alumnus, I love Paul Posluszny, but $42 million over six years is just way too much. Posluszny is a good player, but he's not great. A team like Jacksonville, however, has to overpay a bit to land free agents, so I'm not going to give them a D or an F, or anything. Still though, I'm a bit confused. The Jaguars drafted for the future when they selected Blaine Gabbert with the 10th pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. So why are they spending so much money now if they're in rebuilding mode? Seems a bit wishy-washy to me".

Source:

My link

See and this is where your " argument" breaks down. The Bills TRIED to spend that much on him and he declined. Either he is worth the money and we lost him, or the Bills mis-evaluated him. You can't have it both ways, much as you try.

From what I've read though, the Bills were offering 4 years, the Jags 6, which would (by my math) make the money different. Plus Paul wanted to be in the 4-3, so he wasn't going to resign here regardless...

:thumbsup: The POZ is gone ... Nix would have been insane to give him $7 million and Poz because POZ is just not that good. Even Poz's agent basically admitted that Poz does not do well in the 3-4 (Not that he did anything special in the 4-3).

We have lost an inside linebacker who could never cover a tight end, running back, or wide receiver on a pass route over the middle in Poz's coverage area. My memories are of him trying to chase down guys who made the catch in places where Poz should have had tight coverage.

We have lost an inside linebacker who never had an impact at the line of scrimmage or behind it. He never engaged offensive linemen aggressively and never ever could penetrate the line.

We have lost an inside linebacker who was able to post a decent number of tackles because he chased down or pulled down running backs after they have run past him.

We have lost an inside linebacker who was a good Buffalo backer. Poz from day one was a good team player. He was positive about Western New York and then when he had a chance to stay perhaps giving the Bills a couple of days to think about matching Jacksonville's offer refused to do so and ran with the money.

We have lost an inside linebacker who makes female fans swoon (Because of his hair??) and all too many guys have man crushes because of the Polish last name.

I am with Nix in his opnion that we will be just fine in the middle and that nothing special has been lost at this point.

A note from AP Jags writer Mark Long on Twitter: "Just spoke to #Jaguars LB Paul Posluszny. He says chance to get back into 4-3 defense was too good of an opportunity to pass up. #Bills"

There you go. It's all about money, until it's not...

We are letting our best ILB go on a team that has little at the spot.

Andra Davis was better than Poz when both were on the field. I've wanted to be a Poz fan for three years now - but he never seems to do much. Gets a lot of tackles that should be scored assists. Tackles a lot of guys who catch passes because he can't cover.

Again - he led this team in plays where I watched hoping he would have an impact and was disappointed.

Burnett? McIntosh? Tulloch?

Kelvin Sheppard 250#, Danny Batten 250#, Andra Davis 251#

Poz 238# in uniform when soaking wet and looking like he's loaded on 'roids.

ILB is not a need area. OLB is if Merriman doesn't rebound.

TE TE TE TE. Zach Miller. Todd Heap. Get 'er done.

Depth at QB and OL (unless there's a real starter to be had).

I agree that if Poz wanted to play in a 4-3, it would imply there was nothing we could do realistically do to keep him. However, I disagree with the money aspect. If it took 7 M to keep one position manned adequately, we should have done it.

Apparently it would have been more than $7.5M to man it adequately with Poz.

I need to eat crow because I predicted he'd stay. Sounded like he wanted to stay and Nix would make a competitive offer. I was wrong.

From what I have read the Bills only offered a 4 year deal with less money per year. My guess is the whole 4-3 versus 3-4 defense thing was an excuse because Poz didn't want to say anything negative about the place he really wanted to stay and play, but was undercut by Buddy and Co.

From what I have read the Bills only offered a 4 year deal with less money per year. My guess is the whole 4-3 versus 3-4 defense thing was an excuse because Poz didn't want to say anything negative about the place he really wanted to stay and play, but was undercut by Buddy and Co.

Where did you read that?

And if it's true, the Bills are doing themselves no favors by denying it - they'd be much better off saying, We liked the player, but we have a responsibility to our organization not to drastically overpay where we don't think the value is there, etc.etc.

The information you seek is here.

Number  Name            Position Ht    Wt   	Age   Exp   Kallage
57	Batten, Danny	LB	6-4	250	23 	1	South Dakota State
59	Coleman, Antonio LB	6-1	248	24 	2	Auburn
54	Davis, Andra	LB	6-1	251	32 	10	Florida
90	Kelsay, Chris	LB	6-4	261	31 	9	Nebraska
45	Kirlew, Jammie	LB	6-3	264	24 	1	Indiana
58	Maybin, Aaron	LB	6-4	250	23 	3	Penn State
55	Merriman, Shawne LB	6-4	265	27 	7	Maryland
52	Moats, Arthur	LB	6-2	250	23 	2	James Madison
55	Sheppard, Kelvin LB	6-2	250	23 	R	LSU
53	Torbor, Reggie	LB	6-2	250	30 	8	Auburn
50	White, Chris	LB	6-3	240	22 	R	Mississippi State

Akin Ayodele and Keith Ellison are UFAs just like Pos wuz.

I was looking at the depth chart before the weekend, and the list is scary. More so now without Poz.

1. Merriman started 1 game last year for San Diego: injured, won't make it out of camp or through season.

2. Kelsay: Need I really say ANYTHING more.

3. Rookie Sheppard: I hope he's good because he will be starting, with a rookier DT/DE in front of him.

4. Andre Davis: Don't know, old and injured?

Torbor, Moats? :blush:

What a mess.

I wonder what all those #51 Jerseys at Rich - - er - The Ralp are going to say now?

Genius move by Ralph to increase revenue.

:devil:

Five million a year, 15M up front.

First time Poz has come up with a sack.

The Jags are all set at stopping 15 yard runs now, and it only costs them $7M a year.