Rupert Murdoch attacked during Parliament hearing

The WSJ's editorial page hasn't been the least bit self-serving and unhinged during this soap opera....oh no.

http://newscorpse.com/

Even the New York Times' editorials have been supportive of NewsCorp. Generally, when a media outlet is attacked, the US media will circle wagons and support freedom of the press and the whole "but we're the fourth estate, you can't live without us!" nonsense.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread cracks me up...if this was a liberal media mogul type, in hot water, there would be noting but condemnation and "see, I told you so" type responses...but because it is Murdoch, it is "I am sure they are the only ones doing this (wink wink)". Truth is, Murdoch's company just got caught in some reprehensable behavior, there should be condemnation, just as there would be/will be if one of the perceived left leaning outlets was caught doing the same. Murdochs defense ("I am so involved with eveything, I didn't know about this") is pathetic. He didn't notice the huge payouts his company was making to keep people quiet? He deserves every pie that comes his way...

This thread cracks me up...if this was a liberal media mogul type, in hot water, there would be noting but condemnation and "see, I told you so" type responses...but because it is Murdoch, it is "I am sure they are the only ones doing this (wink wink)". Truth is, Murdoch's company just got caught in some reprehensable behavior, there should be condemnation, just as there would be/will be if one of the perceived left leaning outlets was caught doing the same. Murdochs defense ("I am so involved with eveything, I didn't know about this") is pathetic. He didn't notice the huge payouts his company was making to keep people quiet? He deserves every pie that comes his way...

You are right, if it was a liberal media mogul type, the righties would be out in unison. Having said that, I highly highly doubt that he had any clue of these practices that were going on. And about noticing the "huge" payouts, you call that huge? Everything is relative and again I sincerely doubt he knew what was going on. Listen Buftex, you are no better in this instance than the loonies from the other side, you are making this a partisan issue, and for that you lose points.

And if it were a liberal media mogul type in hot water, the liberals here would be arguing that they had some sort of right to collect information any way they saw fit, being the "fourth estate" and acting "in the public interest".

And it's not his company, it's his conglomerate, of which one company (that we know of) was doing this. It's reasonable to think that Murdoch didn't know what this one particular tabloid was doing ("Oh, by the way, Mr. Murdoch...we're bribing Scotland Yard with thousands of dollars to keep them quiet on our voicemail hacking in this local story. Thought you might want to know, hope it doesn't distract you from your multi-billion dollar SkyNews takeover too much." - probably not; that's a decision that doesn't likely get to Murdoch's level). It's also reasonable to suggest that Murdoch is a slimeball and an idiot for saying in Parliment "I'm not responsible" - your company, Rupert. Whether it's your fault or not, it's still your responsibility.

Editorial note: I loathe Murdoch. Never liked him much before he interrupted Gulf War coverage to be interviewed for half an hour on the launch of a new "conservative" communications satellite. Like him much, much less since.

It's also reasonable to suggest that Murdoch is a slimeball and an idiot for saying in Parliment "I'm not responsible" - your company, Rupert. Whether it's your fault or not, it's still your responsibility.

That is absolutely correct. It is his company/conglomerate/whatever and at the end of the day, it IS his responsibility. I was surprised to hear him make that statement. That was stupid, unless it was urged by his legal team for whatever reason.

You are right, if it was a liberal media mogul type, the righties would be out in unison. Having said that, I highly highly doubt that he had any clue of these practices that were going on. And about noticing the "huge" payouts, you call that huge? Everything is relative and again I sincerely doubt he knew what was going on. Listen Buftex, you are no better in this instance than the loonies from the other side, you are making this a partisan issue, and for that you lose points.

I guess that is what it all comes down to...oh no, I am losing points! :rolleyes:

I am fully aware, and able to admit, that this kind of thing may have gone on anywhere, I just find it amusing that the usuals around here never see their ways...

I guess that is what it all comes down to...oh no, I am losing points! :rolleyes:

I am fully aware, and able to admit, that this kind of thing may have gone on anywhere, I just find it amusing that the usuals around here never see their ways...

Yes, but what is seperating you from the "usuals" in this instance? I dont see too much of a difference..

the chinese are apparently hero worshiping murdoch's wife for slapping the pie guy....now that's a strange culture and so foreign to most of us that it's difficult to understand. that said, just had a short conversation about it with a drug rep who said "good for her" so i guess it's not just the chinese. doesn't the guy deserve at least a pie in the face? lord knows precious little more punishment will be metered out by the legal system.

the chinese are apparently hero worshiping murdoch's wife for slapping the pie guy....now that's a strange culture and so foreign to most of us that it's difficult to understand. that said, just had a short conversation about it with a drug rep who said "good for her" so i guess it's not just the chinese. doesn't the guy deserve at least a pie in the face? lord knows precious little more punishment will be metered out by the legal system.

You actually think that an assault on an octogenarian is the honorable thing to do, and question why people would laud a woman who smacked around a panty waist?

You actually think that an assault on an octogenarian is the honorable thing to do, and question why people would laud a woman who smacked around a panty waist?

presumably he's young enough to please her. one would assume he could take a pie to the face :rolleyes:

So you think it's strange that a man's wife slapped someone who had just assaulted and publicly embarrassed her husband?

Or you think it's strange that other people agreed with her actions?

I don't think "most of us" have an issue with either of those things.

If you have to ask ...

Rhetorical question. I know what's wrong with him...he's a !@#$ing moron.

And he deserves at least to be called a !@#$ing moron, because Lord knows precious little more punishment will be meted out by the legal system... :wacko:

So you think it's strange that a man's wife slapped someone who had just assaulted and publicly embarrassed her husband?

Or you think it's strange that other people agreed with her actions?

I don't think "most of us" have an issue with either of those things.

it's becoming more obvious by the minute that this man and his empire have slapped much of western civilization in the face repeatedly for many decades and yet you find it reprehensible that someone mashes foam in his face? seems that the scale of things is a bit distorted.